‘You think you know better?’: Kyle Sandilands claps back at a heckler on Australian Idol

The Australian Idol stage was set ablaze with tension on Tuesday night—not just from the performances but from a fiery exchange between judge Kyle Sandilands and a vocal audience member.

The incident, which has since sparked a flurry of online discussions, unfolded during the critique of contestant Isaac's performance.

Isaac, a humble trolley pusher from Woolworths, had a shaky performance of Lukas Graham’s hit song, '7 Years'.

The young performer's nerves got the better of him, causing him to forget large portions of the lyrics. However, when he did remember the words, his voice was nothing short of fantastic.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 8.33.03 AM.png
Kyle Sandilands had a fiery exchange with an audience on Australian Idol. Credit: 7News Australia

Sandilands, however, was visibly frustrated by Isaac's performance.

He leaned back in his chair, rolling his eyes in exasperation. When Isaac finished, Sandilands didn't hold back, questioning him about the missing lyrics and his overall performance.

‘How’d it feel singing the song with half the words missing?’ Sandilands said.

‘Yeah...all the stress and the nerves got to me,’ Isaac said.

‘Do you not know the song, or was it just overwhelming?’ Sandilands asked.

‘No, I know the song, but...it was just the nerves,’ Isaac repeated.

Sandilands wasn’t having any of it and said, ‘Right, so you just lost your place.’

Fellow judge Marcia Hines interjected, saying, ‘You gotta remember what Isaac does for a living; he works for Woolworths, and he pushes trolleys.’

‘He might be back there tomorrow!’ Sandilands quipped, which was met with groans from the audience.

‘Well, I hope not, but (this is) a big stage, man,’ Hines continued.

‘I don’t know that you’ve had the chance to learn what performance is, OK?’

‘But your voice is something else.’

Sandilands asked Isaac if he felt he deserved to be there.

‘I do—100 per cent,’ Isaac replied.

‘Good,’ Sandilands said, ‘Because so do we, but you gotta pull this together, bro.’

‘Every time we’ve seen you lately, there’s been a big sinkhole in your performance.’

It was at this point that an audience member decided to voice their opinion, shouting, 'Kyle, you suck!'

‘Uh oh,’ Hines exclaimed, and everyone had all eyes on Sandilands’ heckler.

The heckling prompted a swift and fiery response from Sandilands.

‘What, you think you know better?’ Sandilands asked the heckler.

‘Come down here, clown!’

‘Come down here and say what you think is great?’

‘No? Then shut your pie-hole!’

‘Now Isaac, it matters what I say, it wasn’t good enough, and you know it,’ he said, with Isaac nodding in agreement.

‘Get your words together. Learn, learn, learn, or just don’t do it.’

The drama didn't end there. The judges were divided on whether Isaac should be put 'on notice'–a status that puts him at risk of leaving the competition.

‘You’re a real diamond in the rough, and you’ve had a few fumbles, but there’s still something so unique about you, man, and when you hit it, your voice is just mesmerising,’ fellow judge Amy Shark said.

‘We have to deliberate, we’ll talk to you in a [second],’ Hines added.

Sandilands was adamant that Isaac's lyrical mishap should land him ‘on notice’, while fellow judges Marcia Hines and Amy Shark seemed to waver.

‘What, he lost half the words, and you’re gonna put him straight through?’ Sandilands said, sounding incredulous.

‘We can’t have people who did a pretty good job being put on notice...and Isaac knows no words gets to go through because he’s got a cute hat, and he works at Woolies?’

‘That’s bulls***.’

‘This isn’t the end of the road, he just has to be put on notice for not doing the job.’

In the end, Hines agreed with Sandilands, gently informing Isaac that he was on notice.

‘Isaac, I just believe that given the chance, you’ll do better,’ Hines assured him.

‘It might mess with your head a bit, but it’s gonna mess with you in the best way, so it becomes constructive, not destructive, OK?’

‘You’re on notice—see you later.’

You can watch the video below:

Sandilands has been met with several controversies as a host on TV and radio.

In a previous story, Sandilands abruptly left the studio just 11 minutes into the broadcast of the Kyle and Jackie O Show. What was the reason behind it? You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • In an episode of Australian Idol, judge Kyle Sandilands was heckled by an audience member during his critique of contestant Isaac's performance.
  • Contestant Isaac, a Woolworths trolley pusher, struggled with his nerves and forgot a significant portion of the lyrics to '7 Years' by Lukas Graham.
  • Fellow judge Marcia Hines and singer Amy Shark debated whether Isaac should be put through to the Top 21 or be placed 'on notice' after his shaky performance.
  • Despite his vocal talent, Isaac was ultimately placed 'on notice' by the judges, with Kyle Sandilands insisting on the decision due to the lyric mishap during the performance.
What are your thoughts on this incident, members? How do you think judges should handle criticism from the audience? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I feel if someone forgets the lyrics in an audition it’s time to say “ come back next year “. You are ready to perform or not. People will be paying to see you perform if you ever get a gig and that would never do in actual life.

I think some times the people in the audience the judges should realise are indeed the people who buy show tickets and therefore perhaps their thoughts matter more than the so called coaches I am a big fan of Marcia but would not open my door let alone take my bad leg to see most of them coming from a very talented family no I am not a big fan of these shows

Meh.
Remember Bernard King, judging on Pot Of Gold?
Sandilands is the new King, just with less talent and absolutely none of the charm.

Meh.
Remember Bernard King, judging on Pot Of Gold?
Sandilands is the new King, just with less talent and absolutely none of the charm.
Remember him but not fondly. They seem to need the arrogant judge, the compassionate judge, and the good looking judge

I thought both Kyle and Marcia comments towards him were uncalled for. Talk about pushing a young man back into his hole. Disgraceful I reckon.