‘Why?’ – Shoppers left confused by unexpected sign at Woolworths deli

Shopping at Woolies is an activity most of us can count on to get the job done quickly and easily. Whether we're stocking up for the week or just buying one or two items, Woolworths has us covered.

We go in expecting to get everything they need, whether it’s fresh supermarket staples, pre-cooked meals, or deli cuts.

However, one man was left confused after spotting a very peculiar sign at their local Woolworths deli counter.

The man, from Victoria, saw a bright orange notice stating that ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’, the deli was closed.

He took to Twitter to share the mystery, along with a photo of the area which showed that all the deli foods had been covered with butcher paper and black plastic.

deli1.jpg
The shopper felt frustrated over the sign. Credit: Woolworths Group

The shopper also claimed that the sign was placed on the glass display on a regular basis. He also added that he found the note at Kyneton Woolworths at around 5:30 pm.

‘It’s quite a regular occurrence actually, at least once a week. When are you guys going to sort your s*** out?’ he captioned.

A spokesperson offered an explanation as to why the store closes its deli periodically.

‘Due to recent staff shortages, we have unfortunately had to close the deli in our Kyneton store early on a few occasions,’ they said.

deli2.jpg
The note in question. Credit: @TegsTheDino/Twitter

Because Kyneton is located in a rural area, the next closest Woolworths store is 40 minutes away in Kilmore, meaning it can be difficult for staff to be deployed across the supermarkets in case there are staff shortages.

It’s also difficult to find other employees to cover the shifts in the deli as deli workers need to first undergo training regarding the strict food safety rules.

The spokesperson apologised for any inconvenience the staff shortage might have caused and stated that they passed the ‘feedback’ on to their operations team.

‘In the event that the deli counter is closed, customers can still purchase similar products such as chicken breast fillets and salmon, within our packed Fresh Convenience range located in-store,’ they continued.

Staff shortages in Australia have been worrisome since last year. Supermarkets across the country have experienced shortages in stock, namely fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat because supply chain workers are sick or in isolation.

Not only that, but global supply chain shortages have also been a problem since last year since climate-fuelled disasters and COVID-19 impacted the manufacturing and processing of domestic food items. The supply of frozen vegetables (such as corn and potatoes) is a great example of a climate-driven food shortage. You can read more on this here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer spotted a mysterious sign on the deli counter of his local store.
  • The sign read: ‘Due to unforeseen circumstances, the deli is shut. We apologise for any inconvenience.’
  • A Woolworths spokesperson explained the closure was due to recent staff shortages.
  • Customers still have the ability to purchase similar products within the packed Fresh Convenience range located in-store.
Have you experienced any problems with your local store lately? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Shopping at Woolies is an activity most of us can count on to get the job done quickly and easily. Whether we're stocking up for the week or just buying one or two items, Woolworths has us covered.

We go in expecting to get everything they need, whether it’s fresh supermarket staples, pre-cooked meals, or deli cuts.

However, one man was left confused after spotting a very peculiar sign at their local Woolworths deli counter.

The man, from Victoria, saw a bright orange notice stating that ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’, the deli was closed.

He took to Twitter to share the mystery, along with a photo of the area which showed that all the deli foods had been covered with butcher paper and black plastic.

View attachment 12083

The shopper also claimed that the sign was placed on the glass display on a regular basis. He also added that he found the note at Kyneton Woolworths at around 5:30 pm.

‘It’s quite a regular occurrence actually, at least once a week. When are you guys going to sort your s*** out?’ he captioned.

A spokesperson offered an explanation as to why the store closes its deli periodically.

‘Due to recent staff shortages, we have unfortunately had to close the deli in our Kyneton store early on a few occasions,’ they said.

View attachment 12084

Because Kyneton is located in a rural area, the next closest Woolworths store is 40 minutes away in Kilmore, meaning it can be difficult for staff to be deployed across the supermarkets in case there are staff shortages.

It’s also difficult to find other employees to cover the shifts in the deli as deli workers need to first undergo training regarding the strict food safety rules.

The spokesperson apologised for any inconvenience the staff shortage might have caused and stated that they passed the ‘feedback’ on to their operations team.

‘In the event that the deli counter is closed, customers can still purchase similar products such as chicken breast fillets and salmon, within our packed Fresh Convenience range located in-store,’ they continued.

Staff shortages in Australia have been worrisome since last year. Supermarkets across the country have experienced shortages in stock, namely fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat because supply chain workers are sick or in isolation.

Not only that, but global supply chain shortages have also been a problem since last year since climate-fuelled disasters and COVID-19 impacted the manufacturing and processing of domestic food items. The supply of frozen vegetables (such as corn and potatoes) is a great example of a climate-driven food shortage. You can read more on this here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer spotted a mysterious sign on the deli counter of his local store.
  • The sign read: ‘Due to unforeseen circumstances, the deli is shut. We apologise for any inconvenience.’
  • A Woolworths spokesperson explained the closure was due to recent staff shortages.
  • Customers still have the ability to purchase similar products within the packed Fresh Convenience range located in-store.
Have you experienced any problems with your local store lately? Let us know in the comments below!
I never buy the meat in the counter been caught before it goes slimy quite quickly always ask for it to be sliced fresh

View attachment 12083

View attachment 12084

Key Takeaways

Casey central do run short of specials, but lovely staff make up for it , always a small trolley available but sadly woolies trolley people are as slow as a wet week getting small ones back, being elderly and unable to push the big tanks around I had to go elsewhere.

Casey central do run short of specials, but lovely staff make up for it , always a small trolley available but sadly woolies trolley people are as slow as a wet week getting small ones back, being elderly and unable to push the big tanks around I had to go elsewhere.
I get the same at Earlville, Cairns, where I do most of my shopping. Nice shiny small trolleys but never any upstairs outside the Coles. Woolies are a bit better, but their small trolleys are often old and recalcitrant almost to the point of the YOUI advert. I’ve noted it frequently on customer reviews but nothing gets done. I’m also older and don’t do huge shops as I mostly rely on my Harley for transport (getting into a shopping centre car park can be an issue as they’re made for smaller vehicles than my Rodeo.

I keep hearing this BS about no staff or shortages of trained skilled ppl. Pre covid there were always plenty of staff, can't believe they all passed away from covid?

What the problem is the gov gave handouts to business's to keep the employees on but the greedy amongst them sacked all the former workers when the subsidies stopped, then wanted to rehire at under award wages they ppl refused and now the bigger major retailers are pushing for imported staff to fill this shortfall at token wages and a free visa.

This has to stop!

A friend son around 20 was a 3rd yr apprentice chef at a Gold Coast restaurant, he was laid off, apprenticeship in limbo ? and when the restaurant reopened with new staff working for less wages than previous he went and said right I'm ready to start back. He was told to p*ss off and no recourse legally.

we need to stop the import of workers to exploit and work for peanuts that will lead to a takeover of jobs and force experience workers onto benefits.

I keep hearing this BS about no staff or shortages of trained skilled ppl. Pre covid there were always plenty of staff, can't believe they all passed away from covid?

What the problem is the gov gave handouts to business's to keep the employees on but the greedy amongst them sacked all the former workers when the subsidies stopped, then wanted to rehire at under award wages they ppl refused and now the bigger major retailers are pushing for imported staff to fill this shortfall at token wages and a free visa.

This has to stop!

A friend son around 20 was a 3rd yr apprentice chef at a Gold Coast restaurant, he was laid off, apprenticeship in limbo ? and when the restaurant reopened with new staff working for less wages than previous he went and said right I'm ready to start back. He was told to p*ss off and no recourse legally.

we need to stop the import of workers to exploit and work for peanuts that will lead to a takeover of jobs and force experience workers onto benefits.
The problem is they paid them to stay at home and NOW when they need to go back to work they don't want to, with the rises the Centrelink (dole bludgers ) have received in the last couple of months they got used to doing nothing, not saying all BUT a very high percentage are NEVER going to work in their life just sit back and collect. These so and so's get more than myself, I am retired and worked till I could retire. How much more are they going to pay them to do NOTHING, and your right importing workers should NOT happen they should send letters to all the recipients of Centrelink to go for interviews and get a job, and they should definitely getting VOUCHERS NOT money. I know a 19yr old who lolls around in bed all day waits for her money to get nails done more tattoo's false eyelashes and NEVER intends to work, Australia is certainly the lucky country if you are a lazy millennium.

• Angry
Reactions: Tervueren and Ezzy
I fail to see how "STAFF SHORTAGE" can be used as an excuse these days. Many companies have automated production & putting staff off. Where do all those staff now work? Woolworths will soon have unemployed 'butchers', perhaps some of those people could be persuaded to change jobs early & avoid the closure of a Deli?

Reactions: Tervueren