‘What You Won’t Do For Love’ singer, Bobby Caldwell, passes away at age 71

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you all that the celebrated singer-songwriter, Bobby Caldwell, has passed away at the age of 71.

Mary Caldwell, Bobby’s wife of many years, shared the heartbreaking news on Twitter, saying that he had been dealing with health issues for over six years.

'Bobby passed away here at home. I held him tight in my arms as he left us. I am forever heartbroken. Thanks to all of you for your many prayers over the years,' her statement read.

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 11.31.51 am.png
Bobby Caldwell performing in Cabazon, CA in 2015. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The musical community paid tribute to the late artist and a flurry of memories were shared on Twitter, with many fans recalling his famous song 'What You Won’t Do For Love', which hit the Billboard 100 Charts when it first debuted in 1978.

Musician Questlove, who collaborated with Common on ‘The Light’, sampling Caldwell’s ‘Open Your Eyes’ wrote: ‘Such a missed opportunity to meet a legend. Thank you for your voice and gift.’

Caldwell was born in New York, where he grew up in Miami alongside the city’s Latin, Haitian, reggae and R&B music. He credited the diversity of his hometown with his soulful voice and ability to seamlessly perform across many genres (R&B, soul, jazz, and contemporary).

He had his first big break as a guitarist for Tutti Frutti singer Little Richard before becoming an industry star in his own right.

Caldwell also wrote hit songs for other artists, such as 'The Next Time I Fall' for Amy Grant and Peter Cetera, and released his last record, Cool Uncle, in 2015.

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 11.32.03 am.png
Caldwell released various albums but was best known for his song 'What You Won’t Do For Love'. Image Credit: Shutterstock.

His music was also sampled by artists including Tupac Shakur on his posthumous 1998 hit ‘Do For Love’, as well as Common, The Notorious BIG, and John Legend.

Key Takeaways
  • Singer-songwriter Bobby Caldwell has died aged 71 after a long illness.
  • His wife Mary Caldwell confirmed his death on Twitter, thanking fans for their support.
  • Many have paid tribute to the late artist on social media.
  • Caldwell was born in New York and found success with the 1978 hit song ‘What You Won’t Do For Love’. He wrote hits for other artists as well as released his own albums.

In a 2005 interview with NPR, Caldwell said of music: ‘Most of the wonderful people I’ve gotten to know in the radio business, they all say the same thing. It’s like a universal language, and should have no barriers.’

His presence on and off the stage will surely be missed.

Rest in peace, Bobby Caldwell.

Members, if you’ve ever been touched by Bobby Caldwell’s music, now’s a great time to share the songs, videos and memories that make you think of him.

It’s a wonderful way to pay tribute while keeping the memory of this great artist alive.

Meanwhile, you can reminisce and enjoy his famous hit 'What You Won’t Do For Love' below:

Sponsored
I am not familiar with him but just listened to his song online, wow, he was good, he would be much better known in America than here which is a shame. Attaching the link and as Molly Meldrum used to say .... "Do yourself a favour and have a listen" 😉

Reactions: Ricci
Another one who has never heard of him. By the way, does anyone know what FLOXED means?

Reactions: Ricci