‘Welcome to the family!’ Sunrise finally reveals their new presenter for 2023

After three popular programs – Today, A Current Affair and The Project – all announced that they will be getting new hosts in 2023, Sunrise has made an exciting announcement of its own.

Queensland sports reporter and 7News journalist Katie Brown will be joining the team next year in a brand-new reporting role.

The news was revealed over the weekend that Katie Brown, who recently filled in for Sam Mac while he was on paternity leave, will be joining the Channel Seven breakfast show as a roving reporter – a brand new role created specifically for her.

The roving reporter role lets Katie travel across the country and report live from the biggest entertainment, sporting, and community events.

1sunrise.jpg
Sunrise announced the news over the weekend. Credit: Sunrise on 7

‘I guess this is the stuff you dream of, except I didn’t dream of it as a kid,’ Katie told reporters. She explained that she was still in disbelief over her new position, but added that she knows she is good enough.

‘I believe I’ll do a good job,’ she said.

Katie also admitted she was in her ‘element’ whenever she was out reporting the news in the early mornings. ‘And whether someone is laughing at me or with me, it made me feel good to hear that people were smiling in the morning,’ she shared.

‘The world can be a pretty serious place.’

katie (1).jpg
Katie is a popular sports reporter. Credit: katiebrownaus/Instagram

Sarah Stinson, Seven’s director of morning television, said that the 31-year-old reporter brings ‘spontaneity’ and a ‘fantastic sense of humour’ in everything she does. She added: ‘Katie is an absolute joy and we’re so excited to have her join the Sunrise family.’

Katie broke the news to her followers a couple of days ago on her Instagram account. She wrote: ‘Oi friends, I'm joining @sunriseon7 full-time in January for more thumbs up moments & feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.’

And people quickly congratulated her on her new endeavour – including her new Sunrise colleagues.

‘The best news. Five thumbs up,’ wrote Edwina Bartholomew.

Sam Mac also commented: ‘Sensational news! Congrats, Katie.’

Host Natalie Barr also shared in the excitement: ‘Brilliant decision, Katie! Yours and ours.’

Mark Beretta joined in and welcomed her to their ‘family’ warmly. ‘So many more cars to be dragged behind,’ he quipped, referencing a stunt she performed on the show earlier this year.

Katie will officially join in January 2023 and is expected to be on hand to present the weather or sports whenever Sam or Mark are away.

Key Takeaways

• Sunrise has announced that Katie Brown will be joining the show as a new roving reporter in 2023.
  • The 31-year-old journalist is currently a sports reporter for 7NEWS.
  • She will be taking on a newly created role as Sunrise's roving reporter. A role created specifically for her.
  • In her new role, she will be travelling across the country to report on the latest and biggest entertainment, sporting, and community events.
  • Her new appointment comes after a shakeup of hosts on Today, A Current Affair and The Project.
Are you excited to see Katie every morning, members? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Great addition to the sunrise family.

Katie seems like a lovely down to earth girl.

She is also naturally funny and not afraid to do stunts

She will go far and will make a great presenter / host one day

Reactions: Ricci