‘We’re over the moon!’: Shopper leaves supermarket $100,000 richer

We don’t know about you members, but one of the things we really look forward to every week is our grocery shopping trip (well, most of us).

There’s just something so therapeutic and calming about strolling down each aisle, examining all the different items, and picking out what we need (and maybe a few things we don’t).

We get a real sense of satisfaction out of stocking up on everything we need to make delicious meals for ourselves and our loved ones. It just feels good!

Of course, as much as we love going grocery shopping, it can also be quite stressful at times too — especially when money is tight or if the supermarket is particularly busy with long lines at the checkouts.

Still, even on days like that, there’s always the potential for a little bit of magic to happen... as one Woolies shopper in Coffs Harbour, NSW found out.

The anonymous woman told lottery officials that she was going about her usual shopping routine when her phone rang.

pexels-photo-6097942.jpg
A phone call ended up giving the woman ‘life-changing’ news. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Laura James

That phone call turned out to be a ‘life-changing’ experience for her, as she was informed by The Lott officials she won the top prize at the November 29 draw (10735) of the Lucky Lotteries Super Jackpot.

It meant she was walking out of the store $100,000 richer!

‘Wow! Is this true?!’ the woman said in disbelief when she was told of her lucky — and timely — break.

‘We’ve had such a s*** year, so this is really life-changing!

‘I’m standing in the middle of a Woolworths aisle deciding what to buy for dinner!’

The woman also had one thing on her mind, according to officials from The Lott.

‘I’m going to go pay for my groceries and rush home!’

True enough, the woman immediately sent her husband a screenshot of her win on The Lott app to her husband.

‘We’re over the moon!’ she said.

‘I haven’t really had much time to think about what we will do with the prize, but I know it will come in handy for Christmas.

‘We will definitely celebrate tonight!’

Screenshot_1.png
The second and third prize winners in the draw the woman won took home pretty big prizes too. Screengrab Credit: The Lott

With that money, she could celebrate for a week straight…Kidding!

According to reports, the lucky woman purchased her entry online on The Lott website.

The Lott’s Lucky Lotteries Super and Mega jackpot prizes are $1.8 million (draw number 10736) and $1.7 million (draw number 1600) as of writing.

A hundred thousand dollars is something a lot of us would love to come by these days…

That said, we’d also like to point out — especially to those wanting to go straight to lottery websites after reading this story — that lotteries can be addictive for some individuals.

When the Powerball jackpot hit a historic $1.9 billion ($2.7 billion AUD) in the US, Kevin Whyte of the US National Council on Problem Gambling had a few reminders.

‘Lottery is a form of gambling. And so, just like any other form of gambling, it can be addictive.’ he said.

‘The first thing to know is to know that if you’re playing the lottery, you may be at risk for developing a problem.

‘The risk (of developing an addiction) for lottery players is generally low, but that risk will increase with the greater amount of frequency… and spend you have.’

To put things in perspective, Investopedia says the odds of winning a lottery are so astronomically low that in comparison, you’d be more likely to be injured or killed by lightning in a year — a 1 in 1,222,000 chance.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper in Coffs Harbour has revealed how she left her local supermarket $100,000 richer after receiving a 'life-changing' phone call from lottery officials informing her that she’d won the jackpot.
  • The winner said the $100,000 prize was a welcome surprise this Christmas and that she and her husband are 'over the moon' with the windfall.
  • Lottery can be addicting, however, so keep an eye out for unhealthy habits that may form from participating.
There’s nothing wrong with taking a chance every now and then, but be sure to keep a watchful eye on how you behave towards things like lotteries.

If you or anyone you know needs help, you may reach services like ReachOut Australia’s Gambling Help Line on 1800 858 858 or their Financial Counselling Hotline on 1800 007 007.

So, what is your reaction to this story? If you won $100,000 right now, what would you do?

Tell us your thoughts and answers below!

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Sponsored
remember reading recently where a pensioner won a bit over a million I think and lost the pension as it was a income from gambling. I did some sums and the win of that sum according to Centre stink will last him over 35 years at the same fortnightly rate. So if ya win ya need 40 or 50 million to gain real benefits

Reactions: Jill57 and Ricci
To SDC management

Why do you use "bait advertising" to get members to open this story?

She didn't win the money in the supermarket, she only received the call from the Lotto Company, IN the supermarket.

Had she been in a toilet (bathroom) when she got the Lotto call, would the heading read:-

‘We’re over the moon!’: Shopper leaves toilet $100,000 richer​

Nay, i don't think so!!

• Sad
Reactions: Cheezil and Ricci
remember reading recently where a pensioner won a bit over a million I think and lost the pension as it was a income from gambling. I did some sums and the win of that sum according to Centre stink will last him over 35 years at the same fortnightly rate. So if ya win ya need 40 or 50 million to gain real benefits
It was 60,000 he won and payment were split over 12 months so $5000 per month and he was whinging that he lost his pension. I'd take $5000 per month over my pension per month, knowing the pension would restart after that time, any day of the week. He didn't lose it as it was from gambling, you don't have to report a windfall gain, more to the fact he was receiving an "income " for that time.
I think a lot of people have forgotten the fact that the pension is not a reward for attaining a certain age but a payment for living expenses for those less well off, (I know it doesn't go far enough). For twelve months his income is going to be above the cut off figure so his pension is going to be postponed.

Whilst I'd be happy to win anything, ($5 would put a smile on my dial!) $100000 isn't actually very much these days. Buy a new car and you've spent at least half of it, so a car and a decent holiday would leave you with small change. If I had a mortgage I'd immediately pay the money off the principle to make life going forward a bit easier. As it is I'd pay half of it to each of my kids to make their mortgage repayments easier. :)

It was 60,000 he won and payment were split over 12 months so $5000 per month and he was whinging that he lost his pension. I'd take $5000 per month over my pension per month, knowing the pension would restart after that time, any day of the week. He didn't lose it as it was from gambling, you don't have to report a windfall gain, more to the fact he was receiving an "income " for that time.
I think a lot of people have forgotten the fact that the pension is not a reward for attaining a certain age but a payment for living expenses for those less well off, (I know it doesn't go far enough). For twelve months his income is going to be above the cut off figure so his pension is going to be postponed.
thanks for that, my memory isn't real good these days so i got it all twisted

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
I had the same thought 😁😁

We don’t know about you members, but one of the things we really look forward to every week is our grocery shopping trip (well, most of us).

There’s just something so therapeutic and calming about strolling down each aisle, examining all the different items, and picking out what we need (and maybe a few things we don’t).

We get a real sense of satisfaction out of stocking up on everything we need to make delicious meals for ourselves and our loved ones. It just feels good!

Of course, as much as we love going grocery shopping, it can also be quite stressful at times too — especially when money is tight or if the supermarket is particularly busy with long lines at the checkouts.

Still, even on days like that, there’s always the potential for a little bit of magic to happen... as one Woolies shopper in Coffs Harbour, NSW found out.

The anonymous woman told lottery officials that she was going about her usual shopping routine when her phone rang.

View attachment 9926
A phone call ended up giving the woman ‘life-changing’ news. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Laura James

That phone call turned out to be a ‘life-changing’ experience for her, as she was informed by The Lott officials she won the top prize at the November 29 draw (10735) of the Lucky Lotteries Super Jackpot.

It meant she was walking out of the store $100,000 richer!

‘Wow! Is this true?!’ the woman said in disbelief when she was told of her lucky — and timely — break.

‘We’ve had such a s*** year, so this is really life-changing!

‘I’m standing in the middle of a Woolworths aisle deciding what to buy for dinner!’

The woman also had one thing on her mind, according to officials from The Lott.

‘I’m going to go pay for my groceries and rush home!’

True enough, the woman immediately sent her husband a screenshot of her win on The Lott app to her husband.

‘We’re over the moon!’ she said.

‘I haven’t really had much time to think about what we will do with the prize, but I know it will come in handy for Christmas.

‘We will definitely celebrate tonight!’

View attachment 9927
The second and third prize winners in the draw the woman won took home pretty big prizes too. Screengrab Credit: The Lott

With that money, she could celebrate for a week straight…Kidding!

According to reports, the lucky woman purchased her entry online on The Lott website.

The Lott’s Lucky Lotteries Super and Mega jackpot prizes are $1.8 million (draw number 10736) and $1.7 million (draw number 1600) as of writing.

A hundred thousand dollars is something a lot of us would love to come by these days…

That said, we’d also like to point out — especially to those wanting to go straight to lottery websites after reading this story — that lotteries can be addictive for some individuals.

When the Powerball jackpot hit a historic $1.9 billion ($2.7 billion AUD) in the US, Kevin Whyte of the US National Council on Problem Gambling had a few reminders.

‘Lottery is a form of gambling. And so, just like any other form of gambling, it can be addictive.’ he said.

‘The first thing to know is to know that if you’re playing the lottery, you may be at risk for developing a problem.

‘The risk (of developing an addiction) for lottery players is generally low, but that risk will increase with the greater amount of frequency… and spend you have.’

To put things in perspective, Investopedia says the odds of winning a lottery are so astronomically low that in comparison, you’d be more likely to be injured or killed by lightning in a year — a 1 in 1,222,000 chance.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper in Coffs Harbour has revealed how she left her local supermarket $100,000 richer after receiving a 'life-changing' phone call from lottery officials informing her that she’d won the jackpot.
  • The winner said the $100,000 prize was a welcome surprise this Christmas and that she and her husband are 'over the moon' with the windfall.
  • Lottery can be addicting, however, so keep an eye out for unhealthy habits that may form from participating.
There’s nothing wrong with taking a chance every now and then, but be sure to keep a watchful eye on how you behave towards things like lotteries.

If you or anyone you know needs help, you may reach services like ReachOut Australia’s Gambling Help Line on 1800 858 858 or their Financial Counselling Hotline on 1800 007 007.

So, what is your reaction to this story? If you won $100,000 right now, what would you do?

Tell us your thoughts and answers below!
I don't drink, smoke, or play the horses or dogs, so a little wager on the lottery will be nice. I would share it with the person who sold me the ticket and some friends, and if the prize was big enough to help families less fortunate.

So what a crappy story. Only people who can afford to waste money on a lotto tik gonna end up $100k "richer".... not much hope for others. I'm happy to say I've worked hard for over 40yrs & got myself debt free & finally own my old basic budget home! I think I'm wealthy even tho I still have to work part time to pay the bills & eat basic food! YaY me!

Reactions: Ricci