‘Unconventional’ way of eating meat pie horrifies Aussies: ‘I’m calling the police’

Ah, the great Aussie meat pie.

It's one of the staples of the country's diet, and something all of us have probably eaten in our lifetime.

It's a simple snack and can be enjoyed as you'd expect: either bake it from scratch, or separate the pie from the packet, heat it in the oven or microwave, and then dig right in!

Given how easy it is to eat well-made meat pies, it's unlikely that we would think to change up the process in any way.

But one meat pie lover has shocked thousands of Australians with the unconventional way they eat the national snack—and it's caused quite an uproar.

The viral confession was shared on social media last Friday, 27 October, alongside a series of images that changed how Aussies thought about eating the beloved dish..

The images showed the diner placing two meat pies aside white rice on a plate.

Meat pies and rice? Odd—but that’s not all. Atop the two meat pie pieces, tomato sauce and a slice of cheese was placed.

The next image showed that the diner used a knife and fork to cut the pies before mixing them with the rice.

image.jpg
Someone posted on social media their ‘unconventional’ way of eating a meat pie. Credit: Reddit

The third image featured a mix of meat pies, cheese, tomato sauce, and rice in a heap on the plate, making for an admittedly unsightly mix.

The last image showed the remains of the meal on the white plate, which was really just leftover sauce.

The post was met with a strong reaction. It didn't take long for it to rack up thousands of comments from disgusted, angry, and even nauseated Aussies.

‘I think this is one of the most unhinged posts I’ve ever seen,’ one person said.

Others slammed the act as 'horrific, unnatural, and wrong’, discouraging people from ever trying it themselves and even urging them to ‘hand in their citizenship at the nearest embassy’.

‘I’m calling the police,’ one commented.

‘Are you deliberately trying to provoke an attack? Because this feels like you are. This feels like the wrongest of wrongs,’ another said.

However, even when the meat pie, cheese, and rice combination looked ‘like a plate of dog vomit,’ one person said that ‘started today thinking there was no wrong way to eat a pie.’

Have you ever wanted to create your own meat pie? One member shared their savoury hand pies—a light meal that you can easily make at home! Check out the recipe here.

You can also read our very own member @Staffordshire Whippet’s amazing piece on the best homebrand meat pie between those offered by Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA!

Key Takeaways

• A social media user shared their controversial way of eating a meat pie, sparking shock amongst Aussies.
  • The person posted a series of photos demonstrating how they eat the meat pie with tomato sauce, cheese, and white rice, cutting up and mixing it all in a heap.
  • The Reddit post has garnered over 1,500 comments, with many expressing disbelief, disgust, and even suggesting the person should surrender their citizenship.
  • While the unusual food combination was condemned by most, some acknowledged there's no definitive wrong way to eat a pie.

What do you think about this story? Do you have other ways of eating meat pies? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored

It's one of the staples of the country's diet, and something all of us have probably eaten in our lifetime.

It's a simple snack and can be enjoyed as you'd expect: either bake it from scratch, or separate the pie from the packet, heat it in the oven or microwave, and then dig right in!

Given how easy it is to eat well-made meat pies, it's unlikely that we would think to change up the process in any way.

But one meat pie lover has shocked thousands of Australians with the unconventional way they eat the national snack—and it's caused quite an uproar.

The viral confession was shared on social media last Friday, 27 October, alongside a series of images that changed how Aussies thought about eating the beloved dish..

Meat pies and rice? Odd—but that’s not all. Atop the two meat pie pieces, tomato sauce and a slice of cheese was placed.

The next image showed that the diner used a knife and fork to cut the pies before mixing them with the rice.

View attachment 33631
Someone posted on social media their ‘unconventional’ way of eating a meat pie. Credit: Reddit

The third image featured a mix of meat pies, cheese, tomato sauce, and rice in a heap on the plate, making for an admittedly unsightly mix.

The last image showed the remains of the meal on the white plate, which was really just leftover sauce.

The post was met with a strong reaction. It didn't take long for it to rack up thousands of comments from disgusted, angry, and even nauseated Aussies.

‘I think this is one of the most unhinged posts I’ve ever seen,’ one person said.

Others slammed the act as 'horrific, unnatural, and wrong’, discouraging people from ever trying it themselves and even urging them to ‘hand in their citizenship at the nearest embassy’.

‘Are you deliberately trying to provoke an attack? Because this feels like you are. This feels like the wrongest of wrongs,’ another said.

However, even when the meat pie, cheese, and rice combination looked ‘like a plate of dog vomit,’ one person said that ‘started today thinking there was no wrong way to eat a pie.’

Have you ever wanted to create your own meat pie? One member shared their savoury hand pies—a light meal that you can easily make at home! Check out the recipe here.

You can also read our very own member @Staffordshire Whippet’s amazing piece on the best homebrand meat pie between those offered by Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA!

Key Takeaways

• A social media user shared their controversial way of eating a meat pie, sparking shock amongst Aussies.
  • The person posted a series of photos demonstrating how they eat the meat pie with tomato sauce, cheese, and white rice, cutting up and mixing it all in a heap.
  • The Reddit post has garnered over 1,500 comments, with many expressing disbelief, disgust, and even suggesting the person should surrender their citizenship.
  • While the unusual food combination was condemned by most, some acknowledged there's no definitive wrong way to eat a pie.

What do you think about this story? Do you have other ways of eating meat pies? Let us know in the comments below!
Oh for heavens sake get a grip people! How you eat your pie has nothing to do with your nationality how precious can you be? I really don’t care if you eat it upside down with your cat as long as you enjoy it. Y’all should calm down and btw who said a pie was Australian? The best best pies I ever tasted was from every bakery in NZ get over yourselves!!!

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 33631

Key Takeaways

Wow does it REALLY matter? If this is the way the person likes to eat it leave it at that for goodness sake

View attachment 33631

Key Takeaways

At least it's all going into the tummy and not the bin 🤣🤣🤣

I think picking up a full Aussie pie looks more like an uncouth person eating food! I too always cut the top off my pie and put the sauce on the top of the pie (inside) but we don’t often buy hot pies for lunch except when we’re running late after an appointment. Then I eat my pie with knife and fork. I don’t like getting my fingers dirty with food. Each to his own I guess - My thoughts only. It might be an Aussie custom to pick up a pie and eat it that way but to me, that doesn’t look very nice and polite and cultured.