‘They were going nuts’: Shopper does unusual act after Woolworths bag discovery

A trip to a local Woolworths store turned into an unexpected wildlife encounter for one shopper.

The customer was surprised to find a spider inside a bag of bananas.

But what happened next might surprise you even more.

Initially startled by the sight of the spider 'going nuts' inside the plastic bag, the shopper did not react as most of us might.

Instead of dropping the bag and running for the hills, they took to social media to ask for help identifying the species.

20240207_082714_0000.png
A shopper saw a creature ‘going nuts’ inside a bag of bananas. Credit: @NoodlePoo327 / Reddit

'Who is this, spotted at Woolies in Hillary’s, WA,' they wrote.

'Found this guy/lady in a bag of bananas. They were going nuts, so it was hard to get a clearer picture. Who is he/she? Bananas for scale.'

The spider, brown with white markings on its abdomen and black at the ends of its arms, was quite a confronting sight.

With Australia being home to many venomous arachnids, including the notorious Sydney Funnel Web and the Redback spiders, the shopper had just cause for concern.

However, the online community quickly identified the spider as a garden orb weaver, a species that, while large, intimidating, and a bit aggressive, poses no threat to humans.

'You can breathe easily, it is not a Brazilian wandering spider. This is a garden orb weaver and female,' one user reassured the shopper.

Another user added: 'That is a very far from home garden orb weaver. And likely in need of some rest and recreation (R&R) if she’s been locked away in that bag all this time.'

The shopper's next move was even more surprising.

Instead of leaving the bananas (and the spider) behind or whipping out a can of bug spray to kill it, they purchased the bag and released the spider near some trees by their car.

'I bought the bag, opened it, and left it by the trees near my car. Waited for it to make its way out and took my bananas, lol,' they wrote.

This unexpected act of kindness sparked a wave of positive responses from the online community.

'You’re a good person,' one user commented.

Another wrote: 'Legend.'

A third added: 'OMG, thank you!'

Meanwhile, Woolworths expressed its surprise at the incident.

'We’re not sure how this one crawled past us!' the supermarket chain said.

'We take food safety seriously and have passed this on to our suppliers to ensure precautions are taken on farm.'

'We hope our eight-legged friend made it home safely.'

It is understood that this was an isolated case.

Spiders are often misunderstood—when someone sees a spider, they already have a preconceived idea that they are venomous or harmful.

But not all of them can harm you.

In a previous story, an author shared myths and misconceptions about spiders, celebrating the incredible biology of these creatures and debunking the horror and disgust they evoke in some people.

You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper found a large garden orb weaver spider inside a bag of bananas at a Perth store.
  • The customer sought help to identify the species on social media, with many reassuring that the spider was not dangerous.
  • Instead of avoiding the bananas, the shopper bought them and released the spider near some trees.
  • Woolworths expressed concern for the incident, stating they take food safety seriously and have communicated with suppliers to prevent such occurrences.
What would you do if you found a spider in your shopping? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I worked at a Fruit and Veg Dept for a supermarket years ago and was cutting the heads off of leeks to put on display when I felt a bite underneath my fingernail.
A spider had been hiding in the leak stalks and I had unfortunately cut one of its legs off in the cutting process. I'd be a bit annoyed too if someone chopped my appendage off!
I calmly went to the manager and told him. We caught the spider and rushed to the doctor's surgery nearby.
Turns out it was a baby huntsman from QLD (in Victoria at the time) and although my finger did swell up a bit and I felt tingles going up my arm, it settled in about an hour and we let the poor bugger go.
It was a freaky situation, no ones fault I believe, but still a bit harrowing until the spider could be identified.
The fun you have at work... :)

Time to confess... It's not a matter of the spider being harmful or not, we arachnophobics will run to the hills anyway - that is if we haven't already passed out!
I would run towards a snake to run away from a spider...!!! :cry::oops:🥺

The occasional critter wanders into our home.
Little lizards, spiders (the docile kind), caterpillar, green tree frog, cockroaches, and, ants.
The only things I spray are the ants and roaches. Where there are a few there will be many, many more. Out they go. I do use enviro friendly sprays. Can't have the nasties in the air for us to breathe.
All other critters are sent back outside to join their families.
I have picked up many a bug or reptile, but I cannot come at cockroaches. They belong in their dark hiding places. ..Ugh. Never had issues with mice or rats..thank goodness.
My belief is that lots of natures gifts around you indicates a good environment, particularly frogs. Let them keep coming I say. So many people are quick to destroy when there is no need. Live and let live, as far as your phobia lets you.

What a champion human being! I’m not arachnophobic so I would do exactly the same. Here in the tropics, we get a lot of golden orb spiders in the garden. I feed them grasshoppers and caterpillars. Lovely how many potential husbands hover on the outskirts of their web hoping to contribute to the genetic diversity.

The occasional critter wanders into our home.
Little lizards, spiders (the docile kind), caterpillar, green tree frog, cockroaches, and, ants.
The only things I spray are the ants and roaches. Where there are a few there will be many, many more. Out they go. I do use enviro friendly sprays. Can't have the nasties in the air for us to breathe.
All other critters are sent back outside to join their families.
I have picked up many a bug or reptile, but I cannot come at cockroaches. They belong in their dark hiding places. ..Ugh. Never had issues with mice or rats..thank goodness.
My belief is that lots of natures gifts around you indicates a good environment, particularly frogs. Let them keep coming I say. So many people are quick to destroy when there is no need. Live and let live, as far as your phobia lets you.
All creatures....great and small!

Forget that species Homo sapien....

Time to confess... It's not a matter of the spider being harmful or not, we arachnophobics will run to the hills anyway - that is if we haven't already passed out!
I would run towards a snake to run away from a spider...!!! :cry::oops:🥺
No way. I would pick up the spider and run with it away from the snake.

What a champion human being! I’m not arachnophobic so I would do exactly the same. Here in the tropics, we get a lot of golden orb spiders in the garden. I feed them grasshoppers and caterpillars. Lovely how many potential husbands hover on the outskirts of their web hoping to contribute to the genetic diversity.
Oh how awful ! don't you think that grasshoppers and caterpillars have feelings too How cruel !