‘They should investigate restaurants’: Why pay more when this Coles item costs $1?

A recent incident involving a seemingly innocuous $3.50 surcharge has sparked a heated debate about the fairness of restaurant pricing.

This incident is a reminder to be vigilant about the potential hidden costs that can inflate their dining bills.

A group of Sydney diners were left astounded when they discovered an additional $3.50 charge on their $235.99 dinner bill for chopped chilli, a common condiment in many Asian restaurants.

The group had enjoyed a meal of fried rice, duck, dumplings, and bao, but the unexpected surcharge for a simple ingredient—which they said could be purchased for a mere dollar at Coles—supermarket left a sour taste.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.03.05 AM.png
A group was surprised by the surcharge for chopped chilli. Credit: @privatepolicy85 / Reddit

Roberta Crouch, a Professor of Business Management from Flinders University, expressed her disbelief at the surcharge.

She stated that while it's understandable for restaurants to charge extra for premium add-ons like truffles, caviar, or saffron, charging a premium for ‘chopped chilli you can pick up at Coles for a buck’ is simply 'ridiculous'.

‘$3.50 for some chopped chillies? I don’t think so. It’s not even airport prices, right, where you have to pay $10 for a bag of chips?’

The hospitality industry is grappling with rising costs across the board.

According to the latest data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), costs have surged for food (4.6 per cent), non-alcoholic beverages (4.2 per cent), alcohol (10.7 per cent), and electricity and gas (12.9 per cent).

While Crouch sympathised with the struggles of the hospitality industry and should be ‘cut a bit of slack’, she warned that such surcharges could backfire.

She also thought that things were only going to get ‘crazier’.

‘When people do stuff like that, what they're trying to do is punish you out of asking,’ she said.

‘When organisations use prices like this, they're saying: “We don't want to do this, and if you want us to, we'll make it so expensive for you that you won't do it again.”’

The ABS reports that many Australians feel the cost-of-living crunch and are pulling back on spending.

If consumers feel they are being overcharged and decide to cut back on dining out, it could spell disaster for an industry already on the brink.

'The food and beverage sector, unfortunately, is likely to experience higher rates of business failures over 2024,' Anneke Thompson, Chief Economist at CreditorWatch, warned.

'The business failure rate in this sector is already the highest across all sectors, at 6.7 per cent as of November 2023.'

While Crouch emphasised the importance of restaurants being mindful of what they charge extra, the dissatisfied diner faced unexpected criticism.

In a previous story, an Australian couple were outraged after seeing a ‘ridiculous’ hidden surcharge on their bill.

They were bewildered after learning they had to pay an unusual surcharge for a service they didn’t even request. You can read more about it here.

The incident also highlights the ongoing scrutiny of supermarket pricing.

Supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths are currently under investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission over allegations of price-gouging.

‘After supermarkets, they should investigate Sydney restaurants,’ the Sydneysider wrote on social media.

‘We got charged $3.50 for some chopped chillies.’

Some individuals facing increased expenses doubted the validity of their complaints about a minor additional fee, especially considering their ability to spend $80 on duck and $45 on fried rice.

‘It always amazes me, if things are so tight and money is hard to come by, why whinge when you spend $236 on a meal?’ one person wrote.

‘You can’t be too short of cash if you can afford to spend that amount of money on a meal.’

‘Chooses to eat out, spends $200+, compares that to groceries where people have no choice, either pay or starve,’ another said.

‘[A] little tone deaf.’
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian diner expressed outrage over a $3.50 surcharge for chopped chilli at a restaurant, an item that can be bought at Coles for a dollar.
  • A retail expert warned that such surcharging practices in the hospitality industry could intensify despite rising business costs.
  • The incident highlights the broader issue of surcharging and how it may affect consumer spending, particularly during a time when many are feeling the pinch of increased living expenses.
  • The food and beverage sector faces substantial challenges with predictions of higher business failure rates in 2024, as customers may cut back on dining out due to feeling overcharged.
Have you encountered similar surcharges when dining out? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Not $6.00 EACH for a large group of people as stated.
Why not, if it was a large group of people they certainly didn't only have one bottle of wine, one glass to wash, pour, etc etc. everything costs so much these days, especially wages.
If you can't afford it don't eat out.
Everyone knows there is a corkage charge.

When Mum was alive I remember a few times when I took her out for a Chinese meal and she would open her handbag and take out a small resealable bag with red and green chillies in it. I don't like hot chillies so I don't bother asking the wait staff for them. But it also never occurred to me that the restaurant would be charging for them. Now that I know that some if not most Chinese restaurants might have an extra charge for them, I now understand why Mum brought her own.

So my thoughts on the subject brought about by the original post are: either bring your own chillies (as I'm sure the restaurant wouldn't be charging you for bringing them in) or go somewhere else. We all have choices ... either you stay, eat and then pay what you're charged or vote with your feet.

We are always charged for a small dollop of mustard when ordering steak. We can buy a whole jar for less at any supermarket.
People seem to think that businesses can give away small dollops of garnishes. It adds up and costs them money. Does Woolies give you free sauce when you buy sausages. Butter for your bread etc.
Take your mustard with you if it's that bad.

Poor things must be hard for them to go out to tea....and omg have to PAY for a chopped 🌶 the professor should have no problem with that...but wait there's more.....why is the professor weighing in on this to start with? Sounds like she is trying to convince herself that a business is not there to cover costs.....nor to make a profit ...e.g. the person who chopped the chilli, the board bought to chop it on, the knife to chop it, sharpening the knife...oh dear I really do NOT think the professor thought about her answer🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I thought they hadn't asked for it - if they had it would be a fair price.