‘The need is enormous’: OzHarvest opens food relief programs to combat food waste

As the cost of living continues to increase in Australia, people are looking for ways to save money.

To combat excessive food waste and address the need for food relief, one nonprofit brought in a beacon of hope and support.

It's a place where those facing financial hardship can access fresh produce, pantry staples, and prepared meals for free.

Food rescue organisation OzHarvest launched their first ever free supermarket, located in Hindmarsh.

It's the first of its kind in Adelaide, which followed a similar successful initiative in Sydney.

The store's shelves are stocked with items from local businesses.

This ensures that excess food meant to be discarded could instead go to those in need.

compressed-OzHarvest.jpeg
OzHarvest volunteers are welcoming people on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at their store in Hindmarsh. Image Credit: OzHarvest

This establishment is a testament to the power of community and the spirit of giving.

For Joel Greenstock and Andrea Caple—who are currently living in a tent—the supermarket is a lifeline.

The couple, who recently fell victim to theft, emphasised the impact that food accessibility can have on one's well-being.

'There's going to be people from all sorts of walks of life, people struggling, people that are going to be looking like absolute shambles, which are just great people, and they're just trying to get along as well,' Mr Greenstock remarked.

The store is also a boon for people with disabilities.

Support worker Cathrin Gill, who takes care of a man named Max, noted the positive influence the supermarket has on their clients.

'Our clients have low income, so they mainly live off their disability support pension. This gives them opportunity and access to meals that wouldn't always be available for them,' Ms Gill shared.

OzHarvest Founder Ronni Kahn AO has never seen such a high demand for food relief.

'In my 20 years of running OzHarvest, I have never seen the demand as great. It's biting into ordinary working people,' Ms Khan shared.

'The need is enormous. Charities are telling us they need 50 per cent more food, and we are seeing queues lining up for fresh produce.'

Rachel Hibble, OzHarvest's South Australia Manager, emphasised that the crisis is affecting a lot of people.

Their beneficiaries range from international students, families, and individuals escaping domestic violence.

'We know that nearly half of the South Australian population is experiencing anxiety around thinking about where food is coming from. People are making tough decisions about what they spend their money on,' Ms Hibble said.

The supermarket operates on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 2 pm and on Wednesdays from 3 pm to 7 pm.

'We're open after hours on Wednesdays to really look after the newest cohort of food release seekers,' Ms Hibble added.

'This will allow them to go to work, come here afterwards and get some food.'

The store's inventory may vary daily and will depend on what is donated.

However, customers can constantly expect a warm welcome from the OzHarvest staff.

'The free supermarket is open to anyone in need. We do not ask any questions,' Ms Kahn assured.

The OzHarvest supermarket is a crucial resource for the community.

It's a place where people meet generosity, relief, and solidarity from the rising costs.

If you or someone you know are in Adelaide and need food assistance, visit the OzHarvest supermarket in Hindmarsh.

They also have food relief programs in Waterloo and Sydney.
Key Takeaways

• OzHarvest opened their first free supermarket in Adelaide, providing groceries and cooked meals to people in need.
  • The OzHarvest supermarket was an initiative which aimed to alleviate food insecurity and reduce food waste.
  • Individuals and families experiencing financial difficulties, including those with disabilities and low incomes, can access nutritious food and supplies in the said supermarket.
  • The supermarket will operate on select days of the week, including after-hours, to accommodate full-time workers.
Have you seen the OzHarvest free supermarket in your area? What are your thoughts about this initiative? Let us know in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I really do love this idea however, the big issue is that most of the "food" they give away is highly processed stuff. Yes they do give fruit and veg but there is still a lot of processed stuff that isn't good to eat regularly or in large amounts. It is really pushing people into bad ways of eating in a lot of cases. Just my opinion

Watch people pull up in BMWs and Mercedes and grab freebies when they don't need it. Seen in happen heaps in Dandenong, Victoria.

Low life scum who shouldn't be anywhere near a charitable organisation!
I think you need to apply for an oz harvest card apparantely if I read it correctly have a squizz see what you think.😊

I think you need to apply for an oz harvest card apparantely if I read it correctly have a squizz see what you think.😊
Looks like their services are open to abuse by people by people are financially equipped not to need it.

From Oz Harvest's website:-

Our service is completely free of charge, and it is a requirement that no fee be charged, or conditions be placed, on people accessing OzHarvest food from your service.

That stinks!

Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
Looks like their services are open to abuse by people by people are financially equipped not to need it.

From Oz Harvest's website:-

Our service is completely free of charge, and it is a requirement that no fee be charged, or conditions be placed, on people accessing OzHarvest food from your service.

That stinks!
Bummer there only in the city in Melbourne too far for me😪

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I really do love this idea however, the big issue is that most of the "food" they give away is highly processed stuff. Yes they do give fruit and veg but there is still a lot of processed stuff that isn't good to eat regularly or in large amounts. It is really pushing people into bad ways of eating in a lot of cases. Just my opinion
at least they are getting fed! don't look a gift horse in the mouth! have YOU ever struggled to feed your family????

hi i am a 90 year old ,with no pension and very little income , ,.I stay in Hocking ,6065 , Perth . Please inform me whether OZ Harvest has a free supermarket ,where I can get food and groceries under your free scheme .i am struggling very hard to survive now a days .Thanks .

hi i am a 90 year old ,with no pension and very little income , ,.I stay in Hocking ,6065 , Perth . Please inform me whether OZ Harvest has a free supermarket ,where I can get food and groceries under your free scheme .i am struggling very hard to survive now a days .Thanks .
Hello there, sorry your struggling I just looked this up for you :
Ph no for oz harvest Perth is (08)6500 6450 give them a call and also there situated at :
114 brown street East Perth w.a. Hope this info helps you. Good luck.😊

Hello there, sorry your struggling I just looked this up for you :
Ph no for oz harvest Perth is (08)6500 6450 give them a call and also there situated at :
114 brown street East Perth w.a. Hope this info helps you. Good luck.😊
Hi thank you ,thank you that was very quick ,.I will definately phone them and get the required information ,.Thank you very much ,I am very HAPPY SOME THING IS MOVING .CHEERS .

Reactions: Littleboy8
Hi thank you ,thank you that was very quick ,.I will definately phone them and get the required information ,.Thank you very much ,I am very HAPPY SOME THING IS MOVING .CHEERS .
Your most welcome I’ve been in your situation and I’m only 66 in Melbourne so the thought of you struggling at your age moved me to tears. Let us know how you go we’re all here for you I’m just so glad you reached out.😍

• Love
Reactions: Jo Piper3
I think it should be "means" tested so that those who genuinely need help have 1st option on the freebies.
Those who can't provide proof should pay a discounted amount.