‘The mother load!!’: A Coles shopper’s revelation on how she scored NINE MEAT BUYS for just $11.41 sparks HEATED DEBATE on social media

‘The mother load!!’: A Coles shopper’s revelation on how she scored NINE MEAT BUYS for just $11.41 sparks HEATED DEBATE on social media
A Coles customer's chicken markdown haul has sparked a heated debate among social media users.

Coles shopper, Karen, took to Facebook to share how she scored nine meat buys for just $11.41.

2bLX8zN8x7krBa6odG91TP4pmscnCPkDQLYGCmSDSGn4RjEiV8wECcQ5qtCOLmcdbOamuS9bFXUMgAiu-ZhhnbtjrnnhIomDAvMBIMveAhRKmmg8C5LLXp1zhZOgykt6VOLn2yM

Coles shopper scored nine chicken meat buys which included packs of whole chickens, drumstick fillets, and wings for only $11.41. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Karen's haul included packs of whole chickens, drumstick fillets, and wings, which were all priced between 66 cents and 86 cents.

However, the shopper also revealed that the reason why the prices of the chicken meat were heavily marked down is that they were being sold close to their best before dates.

The revelation was met with mixed reactions from Facebook users, with some congratulating the Coles customer on her bargain buys.

One user wrote on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook page, “The mother load!”

"Shut the front door!" added another.

A third wrote, "Wow, what a score!"

Others expressed their concerns over consuming chicken meat that is close to its best before date.

One Facebook user wrote, “I’m not really a fan of chicken on the day of use by.”

“I would have grabbed and steamed for the dogs though.”

Another wrote, “Salmonella poisoning written all over this for sure.”

“I’m always afraid of buying drastically reduced chicken. I feel like there is a scale, the cheaper the price, the more likely it is to poison you,” added a third.

Others shared, “I feel the same way. I’m so iffy about chicken ever since I had food poisoning whilst pregnant. However, this is an awesome find!” and “Be careful last time I bought chicken this price made me question if I’ll ever eat chicken again.”

JEP6xoaSnLnbiNwWSgZqV0a37VvrAY3UAglLriVDdUF_buzK266xRR0ESqRpm0Hr1ObC7t6MzjfzMvycZ5DTeyKTaPJWGjr_DDNwMcmXN45ziRmcfFR2_1uS7AjqWHeW_-Bames

The chicken markdown haul was met with mixed reactions from Facebook users with some expressing their concerns over consuming chicken meat that is close to its best before date. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Some did offer some helpful advice to those who are worrying about the chicken buys.

“Great bargain, but remember to pierce a hole and sniff it to ensure no foul chicks before you freeze them. Then mend the hole or just rearrange into frozen tubs,” wrote one.

Another added, “Chicken can go bad easier than other meat. Just a thought.”

“Good savings for you. Freeze it. It changes the structure of the meat. It’s all good once it’s been frozen,” a third wrote.

One user, however, dismissed the concerns writing, "great buys. In many years of buying markdowns I’ve never had off markdown chicken.”

“I have however had full price chicken off once,” the user wrote.
A Coles spokesperson has told 7NEWS.com.au that they always remind shoppers that it is important for them to take note of the use by and best before dates of their products.

The spokesperson said, “We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its Best Before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.”

“Food safety is paramount, and we encourage customers to be mindful of Use By and Best Before dates, which determine the shelf life of food products, how long food can be kept before the quality deteriorates or when the item is unsafe to eat.”

Do you know of any money-saving hacks for buying frozen meat? Share it with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Sponsored
Why is everyone so worried about this chicken, when the chicken you buy over the counter at Coles has been defrosted from a frozen delivery. We don't know how long it has been sitting defrosting. The "experts" say you should defrost chicken in the fridge, has this?.

I think it's fine if you're going to put it straight into the freezer

Reactions: mikki