‘The end of an era’: Top chemist chain duo issues announcement after 65-year run

When it comes to names that are associated with our nation's pharmacy scene, one stands out from the crowd: TerryWhite.

However, after 65 years of running one of the country’s biggest and best-known pharmacy franchises, the founders made an important announcement.

Terry White and his wife Rhonda are retiring from pharmacy life after a long and memorable journey.

Mr White, now 87, and his wife are pharmacists who met on a training course. They opened their first pharmacy in Clontarf, near Queensland’s Woody Point, in 1959 and married two years later.

They grew their network of pharmacies until they established the TerryWhite Chemists franchise in 1994. This was a major milestone as it became one of the first pharmacy franchising groups in Australia.

20230922_090742_0000.png
Terry White and Rhonda White, founders of TerryWhite Chemmart, announced their retirement after 65 years in the business. Credit: @pharmacydaily/X (Twitter)

‘It’s been a long journey,’ Mr White said. ‘It’s such a detailed business, it takes time to extract yourself out of it because of licensing rules and things of that nature.’

TerryWhite Chemists merged with Chemmart in 2016. Two years later, TerryWhite Chemmart was bought by EBOS Group.

‘But we’ve completed the sale of that part of the business, and we are now looking forward to the next stage of our lives,’ he added.

Rhonda White shared that despite being accessible, pharmacies remain undervalued.

‘At the heart of our success has always been our belief in people: our customers, staff, and partners,’ she stated.

‘We’ve striven to make a difference in their lives and empower them to take charge of their health, their careers and their businesses.’

‘The legacy that Terry and I have built will live on through those we’ve been lucky to have met and to have been inspired by,’ Ms White continued.

It was mentioned that Mr White will spend his spare time working on political documents for the Queensland State Library, while Ms White will help design their new home.

Despite the founders’ retirement, the Terry White name will remain on the branding of the store.

The couple’s mark on the pharmacy industry won’t be forgotten. Chief Executive of EBOS Group John Cullity hailed the couple as 'true pioneers in the Australian pharmacy market.'

'Their legacy of innovation and unwavering commitment to healthcare excellence has not only shaped an industry but has positively impacted countless lives across the nation,' Mr Cullity said.

‘Their vision, dedication, and the creation of TerryWhite Chemmart have left an indelible mark, and we are proud to continue carrying their torch forward. Their retirement marks the end of an era, but their enduring legacy will forever inspire us all.’

You can watch 7NEWS Brisbane’s report on the story here:

Key Takeaways
  • Terry White and his wife Rhonda, founders of TerryWhite Chemmart, are retiring after 65 years in the business.
  • The couple met on a training course, opened their first pharmacy in Clontarf in 1959, and established the Terry White Chemists franchise in 1994.
  • Despite the retirement, the Terry White name will remain on the TerryWhite Chemmart store branding. The brand was bought by EBOS Group in 2018.
  • John Cullity, Chief Executive of EBOS Group, stated that the couple were 'true pioneers in the Australian pharmacy market'.

Here at the SDC wish the couple a happy retirement!

What do you think of this story, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have a TerryWhite near me, not the closest pharmacy, but I always use them, cheapest medications by far. They do free document witnessing and are always friendly and professional. Huge thank you to the crew at TerryWhite Harvest Lakes WA.
We are not short of Pharmacies in the closest town to where we live, but I have always liked the Terry White Chemart Store, it is well laid out and the staff are great, very friendly and helpful, I will always remember that one of the Pharmacists actually rang my doctor to make sure that a prescription that I had been given would not cause an adverse reaction with my other medications. She was concerned about my blood pressure. After saying that I rearly get my regular prescriptions filled there now as I have found that they do not always supply generic brands, meaning it costs more to get my medication from there each month. But I still go there for other pharmacy needs.

Reactions: Tervueren
Oh wow, I did not know there really was a Terry White. I've heard of the chemists but never used them. Thought it was just a name they pulled out of a hat. Good luck to them 👍

When it comes to names that are associated with our nation's pharmacy scene, one stands out from the crowd: TerryWhite.

However, after 65 years of running one of the country’s biggest and best-known pharmacy franchises, the founders made an important announcement.

Terry White and his wife Rhonda are retiring from pharmacy life after a long and memorable journey.

Mr White, now 87, and his wife are pharmacists who met on a training course. They opened their first pharmacy in Clontarf, near Queensland’s Woody Point, in 1959 and married two years later.

They grew their network of pharmacies until they established the TerryWhite Chemists franchise in 1994. This was a major milestone as it became one of the first pharmacy franchising groups in Australia.

View attachment 30545
Terry White and Rhonda White, founders of TerryWhite Chemmart, announced their retirement after 65 years in the business. Credit: @pharmacydaily/X (Twitter)

‘It’s been a long journey,’ Mr White said. ‘It’s such a detailed business, it takes time to extract yourself out of it because of licensing rules and things of that nature.’

TerryWhite Chemists merged with Chemmart in 2016. Two years later, TerryWhite Chemmart was bought by EBOS Group.

‘But we’ve completed the sale of that part of the business, and we are now looking forward to the next stage of our lives,’ he added.

Rhonda White shared that despite being accessible, pharmacies remain undervalued.

‘At the heart of our success has always been our belief in people: our customers, staff, and partners,’ she stated.

‘We’ve striven to make a difference in their lives and empower them to take charge of their health, their careers and their businesses.’

‘The legacy that Terry and I have built will live on through those we’ve been lucky to have met and to have been inspired by,’ Ms White continued.

It was mentioned that Mr White will spend his spare time working on political documents for the Queensland State Library, while Ms White will help design their new home.

Despite the founders’ retirement, the Terry White name will remain on the branding of the store.

The couple’s mark on the pharmacy industry won’t be forgotten. Chief Executive of EBOS Group John Cullity hailed the couple as 'true pioneers in the Australian pharmacy market.'

'Their legacy of innovation and unwavering commitment to healthcare excellence has not only shaped an industry but has positively impacted countless lives across the nation,' Mr Cullity said.

‘Their vision, dedication, and the creation of TerryWhite Chemmart have left an indelible mark, and we are proud to continue carrying their torch forward. Their retirement marks the end of an era, but their enduring legacy will forever inspire us all.’

You can watch 7NEWS Brisbane’s report on the story here:

Key Takeaways

• Terry White and his wife Rhonda, founders of TerryWhite Chemmart, are retiring after 65 years in the business.
  • The couple met on a training course, opened their first pharmacy in Clontarf in 1959, and established the Terry White Chemists franchise in 1994.
  • Despite the retirement, the Terry White name will remain on the TerryWhite Chemmart store branding. The brand was bought by EBOS Group in 2018.
  • John Cullity, Chief Executive of EBOS Group, stated that the couple were 'true pioneers in the Australian pharmacy market'.

Here at the SDC wish the couple a happy retirement!

What do you think of this story, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Terry White Chemist has always been my favourite go to chemist shop for all my needs. I hope they both have a wonderful retirement .

Their staff are rude, I've only ever met one staff member that was nice. Need a big shake-up, think they're above everyone else.
That definitely doesn't apply to all stores. The staff and service and our local pharmacy is excellent. Wouldn't go anywhere else. You must have gone to the wrong branch

I have a TerryWhite near me, not the closest pharmacy, but I always use them, cheapest medications by far. They do free document witnessing and are always friendly and professional. Huge thank you to the crew at TerryWhite Harvest Lakes WA.
You're lucky, the one I used to go to was no where near the cheapest, I went to another one to check a price and it was way cheaper, when I went back and asked TW She said it's supply and demand, low supply, we put our price up. She was a nasty piece of work.