‘Surely that can’t be legal’ – Aussie bus driver shocks passengers with ‘unbelievable’ handwritten note

We all understand the importance of having appropriate public transport rules in place for safety reasons and to ensure that everyone is having a comfortable time while on their daily commute.

But what would you do if one of these rules stopped you from having a sip of water on a hot day?

Unfortunately, this is exactly what passengers encountered while they were aboard a Melbourne bus recently. The bus driver caused quite a stir after a commuter spotted an ‘inflammatory’ note displayed above the vehicle’s rear-view mirror.

Sharing their experience to the social media forum Reddit, the traveller uploaded a photo of the note along with the caption: ‘$100 for drinking on bus replacements.’

note1.jpg
The note was displayed at the front of the replacement bus. Credit: Reddit

The sign read: ‘No Food Or Drink To Be Consumed On This Vehicle.’

But underneath it, the driver seemed to have added: ‘$100 cash – driver if you want to drink!’ in black marker pen.

The demand for cash (whether it was added as a joke or not) did not go down well with users on Reddit. Most of them were quick to slam the driver’s quip and some were appalled given the sweltering temperatures in the state.

‘If you’re stuck in 30°C heat in a sardine can for an hour, it seems reasonable to be allowed to hydrate yourself,’ one said, while another responded: ‘If anything, Metro should be handing out free bottles of water instead.’

‘If I am stuck on a replacement bus, I’ll be drinking water,’ someone wrote.

‘I highly doubt it’s enforceable,’ one added.

‘Or what? Is he going to call the police for my bottle of water? Stop the bus and try to kick me off?’ one more replied.

bus.jpg
Passengers were outraged at the ‘illegal’ note. Credit: Jen/Pexels

Some people were quick to clarify that these signs are usually directed at people who bring in soft drinks and alcohol while on the bus. ‘No one is going to care if you have water,’ they added.

‘Exactly. I can’t tell if people are joking or everyone is missing the point but “no drinks” 99 per cent of the time means nothing but water,’ someone responded as well.

However, this was rebutted by other social media users – particularly those who do not speak English as a first language. ‘As a person who doesn’t have English as a first language, to me, no drinks mean no drinks, including water,’ one clarified.

Others stated that the driver was trying to make quick cash and urged the traveller to report him to the bus company.

‘I’m pretty sure it’s a human right to drink water at any time. I don't think they can stop you drinking water pretty much anywhere,’ one commented.

Some people said that they needed to eat or drink at specific times to manage a medical condition.

‘Isn't refusing people the right to drink water illegal? What about people with medical conditions? You're going to tell someone with diabetes that they can't take on board their jelly beans? There's a reason water is free (tap water and by law) in restaurants,’ someone claimed.

While others shared their own stories while commuting.

A Reddit user wrote: ‘Some bloke made me throw an unopened bottle of cordial in the bin before letting me on once (in Traralgon). Even after I pointed out I wasn’t likely to be drinking UNMIXED cordial.’

They added that the bus driver was adamant that they won’t be allowed to get on the bus if they don’t get rid of the bottle of cordial.

‘Sadly, it was 90 minutes until the next one and I wanted to get back to Melbourne, because if I had an alternative, I would’ve made my opinion of him very clear,’ the Reddit user continued.

However, it can be an offence to litter or cause damage to the vehicle by spilling food or drinks inside.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne bus driver was slammed on social media for an 'illegal' handwritten note that’s demanding $100 cash for anyone who wants to drink on the bus.
  • Reddit users were appalled by the note given the extreme summer heat.
  • Many agreed that the note was illegal, with some calling for the driver to be reported.
  • Another Reddit user shared a shocking story about how they were once forced to discard an unopened drink before boarding a bus.
Have you ever experienced anything similar while commuting? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments – we’d love to hear from you!

Sponsored
No way Hosea, I haven't ridden a bus in years however if I am sipping out of a spill free bottle on a very hot day and someone orders me to pay a $100.00.
I will remove it from their wallet if need be and pay them, otherwise I will respectfully sit in my seat and depart without leaving a mess.... If someone had an open slushie or milkshake slurped it and discarded the container and its contents? fair enough, they deserve a heavy fine for spoiling the lives of others.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 a lot of people carry their groceries on the bus because they don't drive, so no food or drink 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Stand up for yiur rights people. Stupid is as stupid does

• Haha
Reactions: Jennie and VickiAl
We all understand the importance of having appropriate public transport rules in place for safety reasons and to ensure that everyone is having a comfortable time while on their daily commute.

But what would you do if one of these rules stopped you from having a sip of water on a hot day?

Unfortunately, this is exactly what passengers encountered while they were aboard a Melbourne bus recently. The bus driver caused quite a stir after a commuter spotted an ‘inflammatory’ note displayed above the vehicle’s rear-view mirror.

Sharing their experience to the social media forum Reddit, the traveller uploaded a photo of the note along with the caption: ‘$100 for drinking on bus replacements.’

View attachment 14812

But underneath it, the driver seemed to have added: ‘$100 cash – driver if you want to drink!’ in black marker pen.

The demand for cash (whether it was added as a joke or not) did not go down well with users on Reddit. Most of them were quick to slam the driver’s quip and some were appalled given the sweltering temperatures in the state.

‘If you’re stuck in 30°C heat in a sardine can for an hour, it seems reasonable to be allowed to hydrate yourself,’ one said, while another responded: ‘If anything, Metro should be handing out free bottles of water instead.’

‘Or what? Is he going to call the police for my bottle of water? Stop the bus and try to kick me off?’ one more replied.

View attachment 14810

Some people were quick to clarify that these signs are usually directed at people who bring in soft drinks and alcohol while on the bus. ‘No one is going to care if you have water,’ they added.

‘Exactly. I can’t tell if people are joking or everyone is missing the point but “no drinks” 99 per cent of the time means nothing but water,’ someone responded as well.

However, this was rebutted by other social media users – particularly those who do not speak English as a first language. ‘As a person who doesn’t have English as a first language, to me, no drinks mean no drinks, including water,’ one clarified.

Others stated that the driver was trying to make quick cash and urged the traveller to report him to the bus company.

‘I’m pretty sure it’s a human right to drink water at any time. I don't think they can stop you drinking water pretty much anywhere,’ one commented.

Some people said that they needed to eat or drink at specific times to manage a medical condition.

‘Isn't refusing people the right to drink water illegal? What about people with medical conditions? You're going to tell someone with diabetes that they can't take on board their jelly beans? There's a reason water is free (tap water and by law) in restaurants,’ someone claimed.

A Reddit user wrote: ‘Some bloke made me throw an unopened bottle of cordial in the bin before letting me on once (in Traralgon). Even after I pointed out I wasn’t likely to be drinking UNMIXED cordial.’

They added that the bus driver was adamant that they won’t be allowed to get on the bus if they don’t get rid of the bottle of cordial.

‘Sadly, it was 90 minutes until the next one and I wanted to get back to Melbourne, because if I had an alternative, I would’ve made my opinion of him very clear,’ the Reddit user continued.

However, it can be an offence to litter or cause damage to the vehicle by spilling food or drinks inside.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne bus driver was slammed on social media for an 'illegal' handwritten note that’s demanding $100 cash for anyone who wants to drink on the bus.
  • Many agreed that the note was illegal, with some calling for the driver to be reported.
  • Another Reddit user shared a shocking story about how they were once forced to discard an unopened drink before boarding a bus.
Have you ever experienced anything similar while commuting? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments – we’d love to hear from you!
You can drink water, but no other food or drink is allowed. Those are rules on public transport, and there are very good reasons for them, and no you don’t pay the driver. I think that was someone’s idea of a joke, and not a very good one.
Everyone these days feels so entitled that they dont think there shouldnot be any rules , especially if it’s going to stop them from doing what they want.
id love to go to their homes and start breaking rules and see how they reacted

Reactions: Jennie
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 a lot of people carry their groceries on the bus because they don't drive, so no food or drink 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Stand up for yiur rights people. Stupid is as stupid does
Stupid reply. It means they cannot eat or drink on the bus, and anyone with any sense would know that

I had met a guy who was a Melbourne city bus driver. He had a few tales. Like about the woman who kept repeatedly pressing the stop button. He wasn't impressed and said to her "can't you see the sign it says press once!" ONCE? she replied and meekly counted out on her fingers that in her culture ONCE means 11 times.

Reactions: Jennie and Sherza
I had met a guy who was a Melbourne city bus driver. He had a few tales. Like about the woman who kept repeatedly pressing the stop button. He wasn't impressed and said to her "can't you see the sign it says press once!" ONCE? she replied and meekly counted out on her fingers that in her culture ONCE means 11 times.
Fair call in Spanish.

This rule cannot not and does not apply to DIABETICS< most of whom carry a card permitting the necessary consumption of food on all vehicles.

View attachment 14812

View attachment 14810

Key Takeaways

It was a JOKE!!!!! At least it got you to notice the LEGAL sign saying 'no eating or drinking on this bus' which is totally ignored on the bus I drive in Brisbane , as is the requirement to pay a fare !!!!!!!!!

View attachment 14812

View attachment 14810

Key Takeaways

I use public transport all the time and I carry water and jelly beans and take them when i need them
1st I would not get off the bus and if the driver said he would call the police I would say go ahead . Afterward I would contact the bus company tell them the route number and destination,
time and date and demand to know why the driver was allowed to act in such a manner
putting my health at risk

Stupid reply. It means they cannot eat or drink on the bus, and anyone with any sense would know that
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 its not stupid at all, it's a fact, I know exactly what the sign means, my comment is as stupid as the bus drivers. I've eaten and drunk often as have others on my bus, no issue, its not as if people are going to have a sit down dinner 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

It was a JOKE!!!!! At least it got you to notice the LEGAL sign saying 'no eating or drinking on this bus' which is totally ignored on the bus I drive in Brisbane , as is the requirement to pay a fare !!!!!!!!!
Me too and it doesn’t matter how many signs they’re ar, or how many times you tell them, they still reckon rules don’t apply to them and they can do as they please. Now wonder kids have no respect for rules., look at the adults

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 its not stupid at all, it's a fact, I know exactly what the sign means, my comment is as stupid as the bus drivers. I've eaten and drunk often as have others on my bus, no issue, its not as if people are going to have a sit down dinner 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️
So the rules don’t apply to you. If I came to your house and broke the rules that’s ok is it. Obviously no respect on your part.

I travel on bus services regularly, I am diabetic and I carry various food products and water which are used only if needed in an emergency. The water is different. Being an inert product it cannot cause harm to anything in a bus in fact in many cases it might assist with the cleaning process if spilt. I agree with the rules but I also would fire the bus driver on the spot for his action in trying to prey on some inocent passengers who would actually beleive his illegal rort.

Reactions: Vio Kot