‘Stay vigilant’: Coles shoppers discover discrepancies in self-serve registers

Are you a regular at Coles self-serve checkouts? If so, you might want to pay extra attention to your receipts.

Two Coles shoppers have recently raised concerns about serious issues with the supermarket's self-serve registers.

In one incident, a customer urged others to ‘stay vigilant’ when scanning groceries.

They said they were charged full price for two discounted items.

The error was only discovered after the customer had checked their receipt.

compressed-shutterstock_1716107401.jpeg
Two Coles shoppers noticed they were charged differently for their items. Credit: Shutterstock

However, the shopper was asked to provide photographic evidence of the markdown before a refund could be issued.

'I ran into Coles yesterday and used the self-checkout. I was about to pay when I noticed the total looked a bit high,' the customer explained on social media.

'I was only buying three items, so it was easy to spot the error–two of the items that were supposed to be discounted did not scan at the discounted price.'

‘I flagged down the assistant, and she asked me what the prices were meant to be. When I said I [didn’t] know exactly, she asked if I could GO AND TAKE A PHOTO OF THE DISCOUNT PRICE TAGS AND COME BACK,’ they said.

‘I said “No”, and instead looked them up on my phone via the website and showed her, then she applied the discounts manually.’

‘How often can this be happening?’ they asked.

In another case, a shopper found that a piece of ginger and two capsicums were weighed incorrectly at the self-serve checkout, resulting in a significant price discrepancy.

The customer's home scales showed a weight difference of about 138 grams for both items compared to the Coles self-service scales.

The images showed that a ginger piece seemed heavier, 241 grams, on the Coles scales, but only 102 grams on his kitchen scales.

Also, two green capsicums appeared to weigh 581 grams on the Coles self-service scales but only 443 grams at home.

‘Both come with an error for about 138 grams. Any explanation?’ the customer asked on social media.

He explained that he had returned the items to the store, who agreed that the items had been weighed incorrectly on the self-service scales and gave him his money back.

‘They confirmed that the weight and price [were] wrongly charged, so they granted me the refund. I am really happy with the outcome,’ he said.

Coles has responded to these incidents, stating they have several policies and safeguards to protect customers against overcharging.

'At Coles Supermarkets, we have “Our Promise on Price Scanning” to ensure confidence in the pricing accuracy at our registers,’ a spokesperson said.

‘If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give the customer that item free.’

‘We are disappointed to hear of this customer experience. We have processes in place to ensure that our marked-down items are charged correctly at the register.’

‘We would encourage our customers to let one of our friendly team members know if they see an issue that doesn’t seem right before checking out or on their receipt after they have checked out so that we can ensure any issues are rectified promptly,’ they added.

In the first incident, the customer was entitled to receive the item for free.

In the second case, Coles said several measures were taken to ensure the accuracy of register scales.

‘We at Coles, we have policies and procedures in place to monitor and maintain the accuracy of our scales to make sure that our customers are charged correctly, the spokesperson said.

‘Our team members are also monitoring the self-service checkouts throughout the day to identify any issues and reset them when needed.’

‘While we do have technology to flag issues that may arise at our self-service checkouts, we encourage our customers to let one of our friendly team members know if they see an issue that doesn’t seem right on their receipt or when weighing an item so we can make sure it is rectified promptly.’

You may check the shopper’s statement below:

Credit: @Arrowx1994Ye / Twitter

These incidents also happen in other supermarkets.

In a previous story, a Woolworths shopper was shocked to see their checkout screen displaying a different total when his shopping haul should have cost lower.

The shopper was ‘annoyed’ that his Woolies purchase ‘did not equate to the individual items’ he purchased. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Two Coles shoppers have reported issues with being overcharged and incorrect weighing at self-serve registers.
  • A Coles spokesperson assured that the supermarket has policies in place to protect customers against overcharging and encourages shoppers to be vigilant.
  • One shopper was asked to provide photo evidence of discounted prices before receiving a manual discount at the self-serve checkout.
  • A customer received a refund after proving that fresh items were weighed incorrectly on the self-serve scales, with Coles reaffirming their commitment to accurate pricing and measures to maintain scale accuracy.
Have you experienced any issues with self-serve checkouts at Coles or any other supermarket? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
If you are reading this then you have a smart phone which usually has a calculator on it... also it has a camera that you can take photos with!
I keep a running total of my purchases and if the final docket charges 1 cent more I find the item and get it for free.
Also make sure you walk back with the person checking the aisle price as sometimes they have come back and said that I was wrong until I have shown them a pic I took of the tag... which means they've just removed an incorrect tag hmmm 🤔 but after seeing the pic you'll get it for nothing and they have egg on their face for their dishonesty.
what do reading this have to do with having or not having a 'smart phone'?

Solution is Simple!
Just boycott self serve, issue fixed!
You think the 17yo at the checkout knows the price of everything? Would happen at a staffed checkout as it (allegedly) did at the self serve.

I have had the same happen to me but was told the discount is for on line shopping only.

All self serve checkouts in all stores not just Coles have to have reduced items manually adjusted therefore best to use operator checkouts.

No way will I use them, give me a happy face checkout chick any day, if we do their job then they should pay us, or have a big discount on all the products, eventually they will get rid of the checkout chick, and those poor girls and men will end up on the dole, so much for technology, some of it is good but a lot of it is bad.
Not to mention the customers they will lose in the process.... then they will change their tune..... by that time it will be too late because once I leave... I leave for good.... forever..

No way will I use them, give me a happy face checkout chick any day, if we do their job then they should pay us, or have a big discount on all the products, eventually they will get rid of the checkout chick, and those poor girls and men will end up on the dole, so much for technology, some of it is good but a lot of it is bad.
Have you thought that the prices we pay may even be higher if they had kept all serviced checkouts? There are always jobs available for the checkout operators, they cannot get enough as it is.

Reactions: freedy50
I NEVER EVER use self service in ANY supermarket. I want human beings to serve me for as long as they exist. Nowadays all is APP and this is really sickening. We are literally doing the staff's job (think about it) and guess what - not being paid (a salary) for it. The same to all banks, telecommunication companies, government departments, energy firms etc. If you are not computer literate, you do not exist. In the coming decade we will not recognize the world we live in.

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal
Your should have received the items for free, scanning policy dictates. Big supermarkets are having a go at us every chance they get.
I did eventually the following week when I went back to Coles shopping. Actually I ended up getting EIGHTY DOLLARS refunded. I had thoroughly checked and rechecked my docket and found other mistakes charging twice for same item through scanner, wrong price when specials marked down prices etc. So it PAYS to check your dockets with what you have purchased. How many people do not check their dockets?

Reactions: Robbo3006
How on earth would I be a sheep when I make up my own mind if I want to waste my time queuing to pay for groceries or do it much quicker myself on self serve and pay by card?:rolleyes:

You just follow the other sheep that keep saying the same boring phrases "I'm never using self serve", "I dont work there", and also "Boycott shops that dont take cash".

And whats this about? "I make the human attendant do it for me". Are they a lower class than you referring to the shop staff like that? And if you have to lower your high standards and have to use self-serve then the idea is to do it yourself.
I’m glad that you will be happy when there is no such thing as service or cash.
You will have to do it all and your $100 will no longer be worth $100 once the organisation takes their % for credit card use.
Tell me one thing freedy50 when there is no cash how are grandparents going to give their grandchildren $20 pocket money to spend on holidays?
They will have to put it into a bank account then the 5 or 6 year old grandchild will have to use their credit card instead of cash.
But obviously a sheep like you doesn’t or can’t think about how the value of your $ is being eroded or the fact that EVERY $ you spend is being tracked through the use of credit cards.

I also guess you didn’t know that every kilometre yo drive in modern cars with GPS systems is being tracked or recorded.
We have a Renault Captur and every time we start it it asks us to share our travel data. We say no and then at least 20% of the GPS information on the computer system is disabled.

If your so happy to have all your daily activities tracked and recorded you could move to North Korea

• Haha
Not to mention the customers they will lose in the process.... then they will change their tune..... by that time it will be too late because once I leave... I leave for good.... forever..
I agree with you but where will you go?
It is becoming the norm and all the little sheep are happy.

How on earth would I be a sheep when I make up my own mind if I want to waste my time queuing to pay for groceries or do it much quicker myself on self serve and pay by card?:rolleyes:

You just follow the other sheep that keep saying the same boring phrases "I'm never using self serve", "I dont work there", and also "Boycott shops that dont take cash".

And whats this about? "I make the human attendant do it for me". Are they a lower class than you referring to the shop staff like that? And if you have to lower your high standards and have to use self-serve then the idea is to do it yourself.
If you are happy to use self serve checkout then knock yourself out. Do whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but stop being so belligerent and disrespectful towards those whose opinions are non compliant with yours. Get off that high horse of yours, do your own thing and let others do their own thing. I am confident that this is not the first time you have been chided for this.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I agree with you but where will you go?
It is becoming the norm and all the little sheep are happy.
That's the problem 'the sheep are happy'.
Go to the local greengrocer and Aldi if possible... 83% of the goods that the 2 majors sell are bad for our health and we should learn to do without them...

If you are happy to use self serve checkout then knock yourself out. Do whatever makes you feel better about yourself, but stop being so belligerent and disrespectful towards those whose opinions are non compliant with yours. Get off that high horse of yours, do your own thing and let others do their own thing. I am confident that this is not the first time you have been chided for this.
😂So I make some points which, to you, are allegedly "belligerent and disrespectful towards those whose opinions are non compliants with yours", but people non stop repeat "I NEVER EVER use self service in ANY supermarket. I want human beings to serve me for as long as they exist." Those views are non compliant with mine, but it seems I'm not allowed to disagree with them? And I assume being called a sheep because I don't follow people's negative views is also ok?:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal
I’m glad that you will be happy when there is no such thing as service or cash.
You will have to do it all and your $100 will no longer be worth $100 once the organisation takes their % for credit card use.
Tell me one thing freedy50 when there is no cash how are grandparents going to give their grandchildren $20 pocket money to spend on holidays?
They will have to put it into a bank account then the 5 or 6 year old grandchild will have to use their credit card instead of cash.
But obviously a sheep like you doesn’t or can’t think about how the value of your $ is being eroded or the fact that EVERY $ you spend is being tracked through the use of credit cards.

I also guess you didn’t know that every kilometre yo drive in modern cars with GPS systems is being tracked or recorded.
We have a Renault Captur and every time we start it it asks us to share our travel data. We say no and then at least 20% of the GPS information on the computer system is disabled.

If your so happy to have all your daily activities tracked and recorded you could move to North Korea
Service and cash will still be around. Who said it won't be? Stop reading conspiracy theories.

Of course GPS tracks you. That's the idea of having a navigation system in your car. How would it know where you're going without it? But if you had an actual separate GPS tracker then that's a very good idea as your car could be found quicker if it gets stolen. Seems about 80% of cars in the USA have them as so many get stolen there. Maybe you should switch your system off and just use paper maps?

Also get off social media. That's the worst for tracking and recording information. What do you think they do with all the posts on this forum? They're all recorded. And what about Facebook and Google and whatever phone you have? Utility companies? The list is endless. Other than all that why are you so worried about everything being tracked and recorded anyway? Are you so special that companies would want your information?:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal and IAN3005
It should be like the UK, but there isn't room or enough people for about 10 major supermarkets here. And they get all the same negative feedback as here.
I think it's more than 10, but even a couple would be a start. Tesco did have a link up with Reject Shop, but that came to a halt. Maybe they could try again by themselves?

Service and cash will still be around. Who said it won't be? Stop reading conspiracy theories.

Of course GPS tracks you. That's the idea of having a navigation system in your car. How would it know where you're going without it? But if you had an actual separate GPS tracker then that's a very good idea as your car could be found quicker if it gets stolen. Seems about 80% of cars in the USA have them as so many get stolen there. Maybe you should switch your system off and just use paper maps?

Also get off social media. That's the worst for tracking and recording information. What do you think they do with all the posts on this forum? They're all recorded. And what about Facebook and Google and whatever phone you have? Utility companies? The list is endless. Other than all that why are you so worried about everything being tracked and recorded anyway? Are you so special that companies would want your information?:unsure:
Cash will eventually be phased out.... watch this space

😂So I make some points which, to you, are allegedly "belligerent and disrespectful towards those whose opinions are non compliants with yours", but people non stop repeat "I NEVER EVER use self service in ANY supermarket. I want human beings to serve me for as long as they exist." Those views are non compliant with mine, but it seems I'm not allowed to disagree with them? And I assume being called a sheep because I don't follow people's negative views is also ok?:rolleyes:
😂Of course you can disagree. It is your right to do so. But it is also anybody else's right to disagree with you. So what if people make statements that don't comply with your narrative. It is not for you to condemn them. If you do, expect condemnation to come your way. Simple🙄

I don’t mind it tracking for directional purposes but not recording and sending data.
If you read my comment correctly you would see that Renault disable many of the features if you dont agree to share with relevant authorities!

Reactions: IAN3005