‘So, this happened today…’ An ALDI shopper has issued an urgent warning after being targeted by thieves

No one ever suspects they’ll be the victim of a petty crime when they’re out and about – especially while shopping for groceries.

But because grocery shopping can be stressful at times (especially during sales), some may forget to keep an eye out for their recently-bought items.

Unfortunately, this is what happened to one shopper who claimed to be the victim of this sneaky crime.

An ALDI shopper is warning fellow customers to ‘protect’ their groceries after an encounter with a sly shopper at the checkout lane.

In a post to a popular Facebook group, the shopper made a post detailing the incident – which left other ALDI shoppers horrified.

According to her post, a neighbouring shopper had pilfered some of her grocery items while she was packing them inside her shopping bags.

ALDI1.jpg
The crime horrified other shoppers. Credit: Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels

‘Has anyone else had an experience in ALDI while packing their groceries, another customer pulls up beside you to pack their groceries and steals some of your groceries and packs them into their shopping bags?’ The customer wrote.

‘This happened today…true story,’ they added.

According to the shopper, they only realised what had happened because they put a few of their grocery items aside for lunch.

‘Otherwise, I would have been none the wiser. Protect your groceries people…food is expensive.’

Many ALDI shoppers were shocked at what the customer experienced.

‘That is the height of rudeness,’ one person claimed.

‘The bloody nerve of some people. Thanks for the heads up. I never even thought that was something that could happen,’ another shared.

However, others offered another side to the story, saying that it could have been an honest mistake.

‘Maybe it was an accident?’ Someone suggested.

‘I suspect it was an accident (tired/unwell/too stressed to pay attention) or even worse, that she was very poor and hungry,’ wrote another.

ALDI2.jpg
An ALDI shopper said a random person pulled up beside them and claimed that they ‘stole’ some of their groceries. Credit: ALDI

Other ALDI shoppers gave some useful advice to the shopper. One of which was to stop packing bags on the bench and try other methods.

‘I haven’t packed at the bench for years. Collapsible washing baskets and coolers in my boot, chuck it all in those,’ one customer said.

Another replied: ‘I don’t get why people don’t use the trolley bags. I can pack my trolley at the register faster than the cashier can scan my things. No double handling!’

‘I just pack my bags when I get to the back of my car,’ a third responded.

This isn’t the first time social media users weighed in on a ‘rude’ act. A Woolworths customer asked in another popular Facebook group if it might be considered ‘rude’ to swipe their Rewards card on someone else’s grocery shop during checkout, provided that the other person gave permission.

It was revealed that the question came after she scored a free 852 points from another shopper who bought $160 worth of groceries and didn’t have a card of their own. According to the shopper, the other customer was ‘more than happy’ to give them their points.

This is where the debate comes in because other social media users cautioned against this behaviour because they argued it was ‘ethically wrong to claim benefits from groceries you didn’t pay for’.

Others claimed that it was acceptable to take someone else’ points, provided that the other person offers first. If not, it would be acceptable to ask to take them. More details about this story can be read here.

With all this talk about sneaky behaviours, it begs the question of whether shoplifting is a mere act stemming from need or for personal gain, or if it has a connection to cognitive behaviour.

According to some reports, ‘typical shoplifters’ steal for personal gain and they thrive on the ‘thrill’ that the act provides. It’s also connected to a rebellious motivation, especially in younger adults. However, some people suffer from a psychological or cognitive behavioural disorder that makes the person act on impulse. This is called kleptomania.

People who suffer from this often fall victim to an urge that’s so powerful they cannot resist it, and afterwards, they often feel genuine guilt or shame. Kleptomania sufferers often steal spontaneously and do not premeditate or plan their actions. They also act without other people’s help or collaboration. Most steal in public places, like grocery stores, or often take from friends and family.

The items taken (which are usually of little to no value) are often stashed, never used, given away, or returned from where they were taken.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI supermarket customer is warning fellow shoppers to 'protect [their] groceries' after a sly shopper stole items from her.
  • Many ALDI shoppers were shocked by the incident, while some defended it as an honest mistake.
  • Other ALDI shoppers suggested packing strategies to avoid similar issues in the future.
Have you ever experienced anything like this while shopping at your local ALDI? This is something we’d never even considered and will definitely be keeping our eyes peeled. Share your story in the comments below!

Sponsored
I do all my shopping online and I get so tired of Coles sending me food such as chicken that has only two days before the use by or best before date. I've complained, and even got a refund, but Coles hasn't improved their practice. Fruit and vegetables don't last in the fridge and often look quite tired when they arrive. I have no choice but to shop online because of mobility problems.
I'm my last week's shopping a leg of lamb had 2 days expiry and a large packet of mince expiry the next day. I complained and received a full credit .

Reactions: Granny*Deb
I'm my last week's shopping a leg of lamb had 2 days expiry and a large packet of mince expiry the next day. I complained and received a full credit .
How did you do your complaint - by phone, on line or having to go to the store in person or other way?

I much prefer people to machines. People have lives to live and bills to pay and the interaction between a checkout chick (or guy) is far superior to the way that machine assisting staff work.

One is definitely friendly; one is just hoping the day will end. look at their faces, am I wrong.

I saw a show, years back where an executive was being interviewed in a vacant floor of an office block that simply had a large metal box in it.

This is the future beamed the executive, opening his arms. No more paying for sick days no more paying for holidays and time off all I need is a computer technician and a cleaner in every other day and that's it. It is true that entire buildings now are operated by very little staff.

Don't get me wrong I like machines and electrical devices. I had a torrid often dirty love affair with a hotted-up HR utility for a few years and I have messed around with one or two sound systems and there was this vertical grill ... (anyway I digress) the point is, I much prefer human to human interactions, so they can stick their machines. I always talk to an operator to resolve an issue to resolve a complex issue in just a few words, like I needed to do again today.

Future citizens I feel are going to resemble automatons. Employed by AI executives, who will very soon realize for even higher workplace efficiency, "Humans?" nah, they won't need them.

If a person is poor or is having some difficulties, why not ask for help instead of stealing?? There is no excuse to do such wrong thing.
There are so many institutions that help the needy!!

If a person is poor or is having some difficulties, why not ask for help instead of stealing?? There is no excuse to do such wrong thing.
There are so many institutions that help the needy!!
I was reading the bible today and a passage on stealing and thought to myself there are so many forms of stealing

No one ever suspects they’ll be the victim of a petty crime when they’re out and about – especially while shopping for groceries.

But because grocery shopping can be stressful at times (especially during sales), some may forget to keep an eye out for their recently-bought items.

Unfortunately, this is what happened to one shopper who claimed to be the victim of this sneaky crime.

An ALDI shopper is warning fellow customers to ‘protect’ their groceries after an encounter with a sly shopper at the checkout lane.

In a post to a popular Facebook group, the shopper made a post detailing the incident – which left other ALDI shoppers horrified.

According to her post, a neighbouring shopper had pilfered some of her grocery items while she was packing them inside her shopping bags.

View attachment 15045

‘Has anyone else had an experience in ALDI while packing their groceries, another customer pulls up beside you to pack their groceries and steals some of your groceries and packs them into their shopping bags?’ The customer wrote.

According to the shopper, they only realised what had happened because they put a few of their grocery items aside for lunch.

‘Otherwise, I would have been none the wiser. Protect your groceries people…food is expensive.’

‘The bloody nerve of some people. Thanks for the heads up. I never even thought that was something that could happen,’ another shared.

However, others offered another side to the story, saying that it could have been an honest mistake.

‘I suspect it was an accident (tired/unwell/too stressed to pay attention) or even worse, that she was very poor and hungry,’ wrote another.

View attachment 15046
An ALDI shopper said a random person pulled up beside them and claimed that they ‘stole’ some of their groceries. Credit: ALDI

Other ALDI shoppers gave some useful advice to the shopper. One of which was to stop packing bags on the bench and try other methods.

‘I haven’t packed at the bench for years. Collapsible washing baskets and coolers in my boot, chuck it all in those,’ one customer said.

Another replied: ‘I don’t get why people don’t use the trolley bags. I can pack my trolley at the register faster than the cashier can scan my things. No double handling!’

This isn’t the first time social media users weighed in on a ‘rude’ act. A Woolworths customer asked in another popular Facebook group if it might be considered ‘rude’ to swipe their Rewards card on someone else’s grocery shop during checkout, provided that the other person gave permission.

It was revealed that the question came after she scored a free 852 points from another shopper who bought $160 worth of groceries and didn’t have a card of their own. According to the shopper, the other customer was ‘more than happy’ to give them their points.

This is where the debate comes in because other social media users cautioned against this behaviour because they argued it was ‘ethically wrong to claim benefits from groceries you didn’t pay for’.

Others claimed that it was acceptable to take someone else’ points, provided that the other person offers first. If not, it would be acceptable to ask to take them. More details about this story can be read here.

With all this talk about sneaky behaviours, it begs the question of whether shoplifting is a mere act stemming from need or for personal gain, or if it has a connection to cognitive behaviour.

According to some reports, ‘typical shoplifters’ steal for personal gain and they thrive on the ‘thrill’ that the act provides. It’s also connected to a rebellious motivation, especially in younger adults. However, some people suffer from a psychological or cognitive behavioural disorder that makes the person act on impulse. This is called kleptomania.

People who suffer from this often fall victim to an urge that’s so powerful they cannot resist it, and afterwards, they often feel genuine guilt or shame. Kleptomania sufferers often steal spontaneously and do not premeditate or plan their actions. They also act without other people’s help or collaboration. Most steal in public places, like grocery stores, or often take from friends and family.

The items taken (which are usually of little to no value) are often stashed, never used, given away, or returned from where they were taken.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI supermarket customer is warning fellow shoppers to 'protect [their] groceries' after a sly shopper stole items from her.
  • Many ALDI shoppers were shocked by the incident, while some defended it as an honest mistake.
  • Other ALDI shoppers suggested packing strategies to avoid similar issues in the future.
Have you ever experienced anything like this while shopping at your local ALDI? This is something we’d never even considered and will definitely be keeping our eyes peeled. Share your story in the comments below!

View attachment 15045

View attachment 15046

Key Takeaways

We do not use the Aldi trolley bags as they are far too big. I use my own shopping BASKET just put your trolley up close to the checkout & put your goods in the basket. An open fridge bag beside it to put fridge goods in. I can pack so fast. No need to double handle stuff. I think it is stupid the way people put it all loose in their trolley & then see them go to their car & Re pack it. It can be done easy.

View attachment 15045

View attachment 15046

Key Takeaways

I was in Aldi's this afternoon, it's not that hard to keep an eye on your trolley and pack the same time. If its teeming down of rain outside, packing it inside is the best option. I have never had anyone try and take my groceries, I think that sort of thing would be few and far between. Absolutely NO excuse for it though, stealing is theft, pure and simple.

Very recently, a man ducked out very quickly through the swing barrier at Woolies as I entered, his groceries already packed in a green bag. I have a very strong suspicion he hadn't paid for them. I reported it to the duty manager who said they could check on the CCTV.
The moral of the story is that anybody putting their groceries directly from the shelves to a green bag should be viewed with suspicion.

Please don’t condemn Supermarkets for people getting their items stolen when packing their Groceries SOME people who do this are doing it to see how many times they can get away with it..

It wouldn’t surprise me if this happened. There are a lot of struggling people out there. It is a sad indictment on governments that this situation has been allowed to happen.
Struggling or not, thieving is a crime in this country.

View attachment 15045

View attachment 15046

Key Takeaways

Don’t blame the supermarkets. Stealing is stealing whichever way you look at it, especially if it is deliberate and not accidental. You know what you have bought and what you have not, so there’s no excuse if you get caught out saying you didn’t realise it was not yours.

People are also deliberately stealing, and know they are doing so, but many are also living well below the poverty line. Those stealing should be reprimanded and let the police figure out the ‘why’ behind it. If I see or hear some one say they cannot afford something - and they look like they’re being honest about that - I would be happy to help pay for something for them.

I have not had anyone try to steal my groceries at Aldi although their system does cause two people to pack their goods at the same time which can lead to article transfer.

However, once in Safeway Glen Waverley, the check out person called my attention to someone who had picked up a bag she had just packed and walked off. She asked me whether that person was with me and I said no, so she had to remove all those items from my shopping. The cheak of that Indian man to just swipe my shopping!

Had that happen to me 40 years ago, going through coles had my 4 kids with me, 4 under 4 1/2, so watching then and the one baby in the trolley, put my shopping through and an older couple were packing their groceries an they left and when my shopping had gone through the chechout it was double my normal and looked at my groceries and half were missing, made a comment and girl at checkout said my mother had packed the rest of the and gone out to the car, I said my mothe is up north of Leonora gold prospecting and had been for 6 months. that is when we both realised that the couple had stolen my groceries, had to work out what was there and redo the shop and coles were going to watch out for the couple as it was not the first time this had happened but the first time they actually saw who did it.

I Never have anyone

View attachment 15045

View attachment 15046

Key Takeaways

beside me whilst I pack at Aldi they are still behind me in the queue

It wouldn't happen to me. I just put everything straight in the trolley at the checkout then put it in some boxes and coolbags I have in the car boot.

Why the need to sort it all out on the bench? It's all going in people's boots anyway.🤔
You are presuming everyone has a car ... which they don't. I rely on cabs and so I have to pack my bags before I try and hail a cab to get my shopping home.

I do all my shopping online and I get so tired of Coles sending me food such as chicken that has only two days before the use by or best before date. I've complained, and even got a refund, but Coles hasn't improved their practice. Fruit and vegetables don't last in the fridge and often look quite tired when they arrive. I have no choice but to shop online because of mobility problems.
I do the same for mobility reasons and when I do try and get out to a supermarket, just to get out for a while, I then need to rely on taxis to get there and back. I have had the same issues with close-to-expiry dates on items from both Coles and Woolies online.

• Sad
It wouldn't happen to me. I just put everything straight in the trolley at the checkout then put it in some boxes and coolbags I have in the car boot.

Why the need to sort it all out on the bench? It's all going in people's boots anyway.🤔
I never shop at Aldi for many reasons. They charge for their trolleys so shoppers go to other stores ie Coles and Woolworths and take those stores trolleys leaving empty bays for their shoppers. Secondly, Coles and Woolworths will pack your bags. Thirdly, Aldi profits leave Australia. At least with Coles and Woolworths you can buy shares.

I never shop at Aldi for many reasons. They charge for their trolleys so shoppers go to other stores ie Coles and Woolworths and take those stores trolleys leaving empty bays for their shoppers. Secondly, Coles and Woolworths will pack your bags. Thirdly, Aldi profits leave Australia. At least with Coles and Woolworths you can buy shares.
I don't know where you live but Coles and Woolies here charge for trolleys too! Some Coles stores don't but every Woolies one does!