‘Sick of hearing them’: Aussies blow the stereotypes they can't stand anymore!

Australia is often associated with a plethora of stereotypes.

From the image of the tanned, blonde surfer to the notion of a country teeming with dangerous wildlife, these clichés have been perpetuated by pop culture and media for years.

However, Australians are now speaking out against these stereotypes, asserting they are far from the truth.

In a social media post, Australians shared the stereotypes about their culture and country that they are tired of hearing from people they meet overseas.

The thread, which asked, 'What is the one stereotype about Australians that you are just sick of hearing?' attracted several responses, revealing a side of Australia that is often overlooked.

joey-csunyo-2EGuIR00UTk-unsplash.jpg
Australians have called out the stereotypes they’re tired of hearing. Credit: Unsplash

'Blonde surf-obsessed bimbos who speak in unintelligible slang,' one said.

'That we're all just obscenely, really ridiculously good-looking and incredibly fit. We read books, too! I'm tired of everyone assuming I'm some empty-headed Adonis,' another commented.

'That we're all really tanned. A large number of Australians have ancestry from the UK and Ireland, so many Australians don't even have skin that tans well,' a third added.

'It's not just the UV here that explains why we have the worst rate of skin cancer in the world. A lot of us are really fair!'

Another stereotype that Australians are keen to debunk is the idea that they are all laid-back 'larrikins'.

'We really really aren't,' one said, while another called Aussies 'whingers'.

'I feel like our passive-aggressive sarcasm gets mistaken for easygoing,' another added.

The 'Great Emu War' of the 1930s is another stereotype Australians are tired of hearing.

The event, a wildlife military operation to control the number of emus destroying farmers' crops, has been misconstrued to imply that emus were victorious over humans.

This misinterpretation has frustrated many Australians, who argue it overlooks the country's successful culling programs.

'It was seen as a dumb idea at the time, and it obfuscates our successful culling programs that drove them close to extinction,' one explained.

'Two soldiers used 2500 rounds killed just under 1000 emus. It s***s me to tears every time I hear it,' another agreed.

As an aside, despite the estimated 284,000 emus killed in the effort, the Australian Geographic noted in 2016: ‘Australia’s emu population, however, remains stable to this day. Thankfully, they do not seem interested in resuming hostilities with the Australian government.’

compressed-shutterstock_560086996.jpeg
The Great Emu War is another stereotype that Aussies dislike. Credit: Shutterstock

Speaking of emus, the stereotype that all Australian wildlife is 'super dangerous and trying to kill you' is another myth that Australians want to dispel.

'Although there are quite a few dangerous animals, very few will just go out of their way to try and kill you, and most people will rarely see most of the more dangerous ones without trying,' they said.

'Also, we don't have anything like big cats or bears that can also be quite dangerous that a lot of other countries have.'

'Makes me laugh when Canadians say this to me. Like, “You have literal bears? And moose?”’ another responded.

The way Australians speak is another stereotype that has been blown out of proportion.

'”Auuur naauurr”—it's like saying all Americans have a Boston accent. Also, some people have decided that's the only joke they know now. Tell a new one, I beg of you,' a user ranted.

'Phonetically, it would be “noe” not “naur”,' another noted.

'That it's totally OK to drop c-bombs under any circumstances, and everyone will think you're hilarious,' one answered.

That everyone swears, especially the C word. I've had Americans come up and let a foul mouthful out thinking it's funny or something...it's not,’ another agreed.

Other stereotypes that Australians are tired of hearing include the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie’ chant, the local cuisine, and colonial beginnings.

'That we're a nation founded by dangerous, sociopathic criminals. You know the people they sent over on the prison ships weren't murderers, right? They were sent over for the heinous crimes of petty theft, prostitution and existing while Irish,' one person said.

'That we enjoy doing the “Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi” chant. We f***ing hate it,' another wrote, and someone replied: 'It's fun every once in a while but not when it's overused.’

'Our national cuisine is meat pies, sausage rolls, Vegemite, and c*** like that. Give me Thompson Thai or a Marrickville pork roll any day of the week,' one user complained.

'Everything on the Simpsons (American animated sitcom) episode,' an Aussie laughed, and someone added: 'We don't all live in Sydney.'

While it’s inevitable that people make fun of cultural quirks, some may unintentionally cross the line and offend others.

In a previous story, two podcasters found themselves in hot water about a seemingly innocent comment about an Aussie slang word. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• Many Australians are tired of stereotypes that depict them as tanned, blonde surfers who are always easy-going and laid-back.
  • Common misconceptions include the belief that Australia is full of dangerous wildlife constantly threatening humans and that Australians excessively use slang and swear words.
  • The historical 'Emu War' and the notion that emus were victorious in this event annoy many Australians, alongside the idea that Australia was solely founded by dangerous criminals.
  • Australians also dislike the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi' chant and refute the idea that their national cuisine is limited to items such as meat pies and Vegemite.
What other stereotypes have you encountered? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
So they don’t like the stereots etc. Well guess what, we Kiwis are sick of the crap that we keep hearing from you Aussies too. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it

Reactions: 52-KID and MariaG
Hate the drop bear jokes. Those that go to Indonesia seem to proliferate the fact that Aussies are morons so it’s not a myth

Reactions: Scaveola
everywhere has comments to complain about every other country other than their own. And often their own antics/sayings/pronounciations/foods etc etc are no different for other countries to feel about theirs. It's really quite pathetic and ignorant that there are those who assume a whole country, wherever that country maybe, is based on individuals and a handful of experiences. It's pot calling kettle black.

I tend not to take anything to heart.
My parents immigrated from Europe because of the war. We grew up without such stereotypes, except for being called Bl..dy migrants. Water off the ducks back.
We are who we are and silly assumptions mean nothing.

dramatic headlines. now we have catastrophic. headline on chanel 7 this morning. sdc stop with the dramatics.