‘Send help’: Irish expat warns others about swam of this pest

Australia is renowned for its unique and diverse wildlife, some of which can be quite intimidating to those unfamiliar with the local fauna.

From the infamous sharks patrolling coastal waters to the venomous spiders lurking in the shadows, newcomers to the land down under are often well-versed in what to expect.

However, one Irish expat discovered that the most relentless Australian pest hadn't even been on her radar before she moved to Western Australia, and it's an issue that's buzzing with frustration.

In a video that has since gone viral, the Irish woman, clad in her hi-vis work attire, is seen trying to address the camera but is constantly interrupted by the need to swat away a relentless swarm of flies from her face.

'I was well warned about sharks, I was well warned about spiders, I was well warned about crocodiles,' she said.

'But nobody told me the flies take drugs, steroids, I don't know some kind of narcotic substance [here]...send help,' she humorously pleaded.

20240531_093959_0000.png
The Irish expat had a swarm of flies on her face while taking a video of herself. Credit: @ggallanagh / TikTok

The plight of dealing with flies is something most Australians can sympathise with, but according to experts, this nuisance is only expected to intensify with the effects of climate change.

Entomologist Bryan Lessard has shed light on the recent 'perfect storm' for flies in the state, attributing a spell of warm weather that's set to continue into the winter months as a catalyst for the fly populations to thrive and multiply at an alarming rate.

'It's been warmer in the state in recent months, which encourages fly activity to increase,' Lessard explained.

'There's been more rain this season as well, and that triggers the fly to hatch from the cocoon, so it's kind of the perfect storm of heat and wet weather to trigger the abundance.'

Lessard also explained that the rise in global temperatures impacted insect populations.

‘With climate change, our insect populations will also change, so if there's a lot more warmer weather and a lot more wetter weather, we'll probably see more insects,’ he said.

But why do these flies seem to have a penchant for targeting our faces, specifically our eyes, nose, ears, and mouth?

Lessard confirms that this behaviour is typical and is driven by the flies' search for moisture.

'It's so hot flies are looking for something to quench their thirst, and unfortunately, our tears, sweat, and saliva are quite hydrating,' he said.

Interestingly, these pesky insects may have even played a role in shaping the Australian accent.

The bush fly, a native species found across the country, is said to have influenced the way Australians speak.

'The bush fly apparently influenced the Australian English accent because a lot of settlers when they moved here couldn't open their mouths too wide because flies were getting inside,' Lessard shared.

'So the story goes that over time, we spoke English not enunciating very much.'

You can watch the Irish expat’s video below:

Credit: @ggallanagh / TikTok

Fly season in Australia happens all year round, but some can be a nuisance and pose health risks.

In a previous story, there are several ways you can fend off these flies at home. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Irish expat in Western Australia shared her frustration online about the swarms of flies, an issue she was unprepared for upon migrating.
  • Entomologists warn that the recent warm weather and rain have created perfect conditions for fly populations to thrive, potentially worsening due to climate change.
  • The flies are attracted to human faces as they seek moisture from tears, sweat, and saliva.
  • There is an anecdotal suggestion that the presence of bush flies contributed to the development of the Australian accent due to early settlers keeping their mouths closed to avoid ingesting flies.
Have you found any effective ways to keep the flies at bay? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
Not quite nobody.

One of my European friends was planning to come here and asked me what the biggest difference was.

I told him that he could expect to wear 2kg less clothes here, but the difference would be made up by the flies on his back.

He laughed about it until he got here.🪰🪰🪰🪰🪰🪰🪰🪰🤬🤬🤬🤬

Do your research about most countries that are hot BEFORE you move & you will find all kinds of animals, crocs & alligators, birds, insects and snakes in those countries. Don’t complain AFTER moving.

Oh dear, poor expats who can’t deal with conditions or traditions in Australia. They should all just go home instead of continually whinging about what nobody told them.

Reactions: maherdj and DLHM
yes the flies are a problem but it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A NON EXISTANT THING CALLED CLIMATE CHANGE unless you are meaning the seasonal change we get every 3 months of which we get 4 over a period of 12 months incase you have forgotten...

Reactions: Gsr
Well, be grateful for small mercies.
No borders with checkpoints manned by gun toting military, no civil wars, no shortage of Aeroguard.