‘Refund policy backflip’ leaves Woolworths shopper fuming

It’s no secret that grocery shopping can be a stressful experience, which is why many enjoy shopping online at Woolworths, due to its convenience and wide range of products.

However, it seems the supermarket giant may have angered some of its customers with this store protocol for out-of-stock items.

Woolworths has sparked the anger of at least one customer after a change in its refund policy for out-of-stock items.

In a post on the popular social media site Twitter, she tagged the retail giant and said: ‘I don’t support your new store credit protocol for out of stocks. I ordered stuff. You don't have my stuff. You give me my money back, please.’

refund1.jpg
The customer shared that Woolies offered her store credit instead of a refund. Credit: Tima Miroshnichenko/Pexels

The Woolies shopper claimed that she was disappointed to learn that she was given store credit ‘with a new minimum buy of $30 to redeem it’ instead of a refund as compensation for unavailable items in a recent home delivery order.

‘Bad form. Very bad form.’

It is believed that Woolworths usually only offers store credit when a customer pays for an online order using Everyday Rewards points, or by using a gift card.

If the customer pays via other methods, they are usually offered a refund.

As of publishing, the method by which the customer paid for her items hasn’t been revealed.

refund2.jpg
Refund or store credit will be offered to you depending on how you pay for your items. Credit: Rachel Claire/Pexels

The post gathered a lot of attention online, and many seemed to urge the shopper to take the issue further.

In a response to another Twitter user, the shopper wrote: ‘Woolies have a substitution policy. But sometimes they can’t substitute. They usually give a refund. This is the first time I’ve ever come across this store credit malarky.’

While another stated: ‘I’m reasonably confident that if you were to dig around in the consumer law that applies in your state, and/or the ACCC, you’ll find they can’t insist on a credit.’

Someone else found this as ‘appalling behaviour’ as they alleged Woolworths took money ‘for no service or goods’.

refund3.jpg
Many Twitter users urged the shopper to report the incident to the ACCC. Credit: Kampus Production/Pexels

Others asked why out-of-stock credits are sent via email instead of logged as automatic credits for when they order next time.

‘How many of these emails are forgotten or ignored by busy or older people? Woolworths getting money for nothing!’ One person claimed.

Someone else added: ‘I receive store credit codes for out-of-stock items, not substituted. I was told abruptly by a staff member you cannot use the credits in stores, they are online credits only. Really ordinary service by Woolworths.’

It is understood that each refund type will depend on the payment method used during the transaction.

For instance, if a Woolworths gift card has been used for the transaction, the refund will be provided in the form of a voucher code that will be emailed to the customer and may be used online.

‘All refunds will be made to the original form of payment except where you have used a Gift Card to pay, in which case we will provide you with store credit,’ Woolworths refund process states. The full returns and exchange policy of the supermarket can be found here.

refund4.jpg
The refund type will depend on the payment method used during the transaction. Credit: RODNAE Productions/Pexels

Woolworths saw the post and promptly responded to the customer.

‘We appreciate your feedback about the store credit you received for the out-of-stock items in your order. Could you please send us a DM with your order number, email and phone number the online account registered with? We look forward to your response, thanks,’ it said.

And while the customer appreciated the response, she replied that she would be taking this issue to her local store instead.

But the supermarket’s response seemed to spark a further backlash, as many believed that the retailer was doing this to avoid further outrage online instead of addressing the issue.

‘So, a refund comes only to avoid a minor Twitter PR problem on a case-by-case basis, rather than to withdraw the dodgy policy?’ Another Twitter user shared.

‘Actually Woolworths, this is not a good response. You should be putting out a statement on your actual position,’ one more declared.

A Twitter user stated that this ‘shouldn’t have happened in the first place’ and challenged the retailer if they’ll fix the issue or ‘try and sweep it under the rug’.

‘Don't make this something where you make an exception for the person online. Change your actual policy so that the majority of customers are not exploited,’ someone else interjected.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has spoken of her frustration after experiencing a change in how the supermarket handles ‘out of stocks’.
  • She was offered a store credit as compensation for out-of-stock items in a recent home delivery order, instead of the refund she had previously received.
  • Her post sparked a wave of outrage from her followers and many encouraged her to take the issue further.
Have you ever had difficulties getting refunds from supermarkets? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
It’s no secret that grocery shopping can be a stressful experience, which is why many enjoy shopping online at Woolworths, due to its convenience and wide range of products.

However, it seems the supermarket giant may have angered some of its customers with this store protocol for out-of-stock items.

Woolworths has sparked the anger of at least one customer after a change in its refund policy for out-of-stock items.

In a post on the popular social media site Twitter, she tagged the retail giant and said: ‘I don’t support your new store credit protocol for out of stocks. I ordered stuff. You don't have my stuff. You give me my money back, please.’

View attachment 13241
The customer shared that Woolies offered her store credit instead of a refund. Credit: Tima Miroshnichenko/Pexels

The Woolies shopper claimed that she was disappointed to learn that she was given store credit ‘with a new minimum buy of $30 to redeem it’ instead of a refund as compensation for unavailable items in a recent home delivery order.

It is believed that Woolworths usually only offers store credit when a customer pays for an online order using Everyday Rewards points, or by using a gift card.

As of publishing, the method by which the customer paid for her items hasn’t been revealed.

View attachment 13242
Refund or store credit will be offered to you depending on how you pay for your items. Credit: Rachel Claire/Pexels

The post gathered a lot of attention online, and many seemed to urge the shopper to take the issue further.

In a response to another Twitter user, the shopper wrote: ‘Woolies have a substitution policy. But sometimes they can’t substitute. They usually give a refund. This is the first time I’ve ever come across this store credit malarky.’

While another stated: ‘I’m reasonably confident that if you were to dig around in the consumer law that applies in your state, and/or the ACCC, you’ll find they can’t insist on a credit.’

Someone else found this as ‘appalling behaviour’ as they alleged Woolworths took money ‘for no service or goods’.

View attachment 13243
Many Twitter users urged the shopper to report the incident to the ACCC. Credit: Kampus Production/Pexels

Others asked why out-of-stock credits are sent via email instead of logged as automatic credits for when they order next time.

‘How many of these emails are forgotten or ignored by busy or older people? Woolworths getting money for nothing!’ One person claimed.

Someone else added: ‘I receive store credit codes for out-of-stock items, not substituted. I was told abruptly by a staff member you cannot use the credits in stores, they are online credits only. Really ordinary service by Woolworths.’

It is understood that each refund type will depend on the payment method used during the transaction.

For instance, if a Woolworths gift card has been used for the transaction, the refund will be provided in the form of a voucher code that will be emailed to the customer and may be used online.

‘All refunds will be made to the original form of payment except where you have used a Gift Card to pay, in which case we will provide you with store credit,’ Woolworths refund process states. The full returns and exchange policy of the supermarket can be found here.

View attachment 13244
The refund type will depend on the payment method used during the transaction. Credit: RODNAE Productions/Pexels

‘We appreciate your feedback about the store credit you received for the out-of-stock items in your order. Could you please send us a DM with your order number, email and phone number the online account registered with? We look forward to your response, thanks,’ it said.

And while the customer appreciated the response, she replied that she would be taking this issue to her local store instead.

But the supermarket’s response seemed to spark a further backlash, as many believed that the retailer was doing this to avoid further outrage online instead of addressing the issue.

‘So, a refund comes only to avoid a minor Twitter PR problem on a case-by-case basis, rather than to withdraw the dodgy policy?’ Another Twitter user shared.

‘Actually Woolworths, this is not a good response. You should be putting out a statement on your actual position,’ one more declared.

A Twitter user stated that this ‘shouldn’t have happened in the first place’ and challenged the retailer if they’ll fix the issue or ‘try and sweep it under the rug’.

‘Don't make this something where you make an exception for the person online. Change your actual policy so that the majority of customers are not exploited,’ someone else interjected.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has spoken of her frustration after experiencing a change in how the supermarket handles ‘out of stocks’.
  • She was offered a store credit as compensation for out-of-stock items in a recent home delivery order, instead of the refund she had previously received.
  • Her post sparked a wave of outrage from her followers and many encouraged her to take the issue further.
Have you ever had difficulties getting refunds from supermarkets? Share your stories with us in the comments below.
I do not shop at Woolworths anymore. I shopped there twice for specials to find none available! I asked for a raincheck to be told they do not do that anymore!!!! Why should customers miss out just because they do not order enough? I only shop Coles, Aldi & very occasionally IGA. And if you return something you should be refunded not given a credit!!!!

I only shop at Coles online, pay with paypal and a pending payment is taken until the order is completed. I tried doing an order with Woolworths and a lot of their specials you can only purchase in store not online so bye bye to woolies. Coles substitutes are pretty good. Have a Coles Plus subscription, double flybuy points and I can pick a 2 hour window for delivery if I want. I still go to Aldis for the odd items now and then, but I'll stick with Coles over Woolworths any day. I shop weekly and delivery usually cost $11 for a 2 hour window. So $44 compaired to $19 is a no brainer

View attachment 13241

View attachment 13242

View attachment 13243

View attachment 13244

Key Takeaways

For at least the past year, any time I've had a complaint about my online groceries - especially the fruit/veg (which I no longer order via this method) - Woolies merely emailed an online credit. I told them then it's a rort and that I should be getting my $$ back into my account -not theirs!

View attachment 13241

View attachment 13242

View attachment 13243

View attachment 13244

Key Takeaways

Refund or Coles make up your minds Woolworth

View attachment 13241

View attachment 13242

View attachment 13243

View attachment 13244

Key Takeaways

I had trouble getting a refund from woolworths too..I bought some brass hose fittings and specifically asked if they were wrong could I return..answer..keep your docket and you can have refund.when I took back they said they don't give cash refund only store credit. Fortunately the staff member couldn't work out how to do it and gave me the cash. I paid cash. Asked about refund but even personal shoppers only get store credit. This is so wrong

well we dont have a woolies near me only Coles and an Aldi so I do most of my shopping at Aldi as in covid time I put in a shop to have a click and collect by my son which I thought would be easy but I dint spend enough for them to do the order it was only fresh fruit and veg and I was 30cents short if they had have just put in a bigger apple it would have made the price go up so I'm not happy with Coles they have to monopoly at the moment I hope it changes soon but I have heard Woolies and IGA are coming so I hope soon

I buy online from Woolies and on the odd occasion that I pay for something they have run out of, I get an automatic refund back to my credit card/bank account. I usually get the refund before my grocery delivery so I am a bit critical of the comments made above. I would say that there are some extenuating circumstances around these various issues that are not being divulged.

I've only shopped online a couple of times with Woolworths because I was ill at the time, otherwise it's much better just going to the shop yourself. The online shop I did get they ended up substituting cherries I wanted with green peppers. 😁I just thought it was funny. Never even thought of running off to social media first about it or getting credit. 🙄

And they wrote to her to help her ......‘We appreciate your feedback about the store credit you received for the out-of-stock items in your order. Could you please send us a DM with your order number, email and phone number the online account registered with? We look forward to your response, thanks,’

Why on earth wouldn't she want the proper customer service people to help instead of? .....'she replied that she would be taking this issue to her local store instead.'
All they'll do for the ungrateful woman is get in touch with their head office, so she wouldn't have got any further. 😁

And then there's.....'many believed that the retailer was doing this to avoid further outrage online instead of addressing the issue.'

Why on earth would they want to broadcast someone's private complaint online? Would anyone on here like any company to do that? And they were addressing the issue as in their reply. Some people have got no idea how customer service works.

Reactions: Ricci and Mark1

View attachment 13241

View attachment 13242

View attachment 13243

View attachment 13244

Key Takeaways

My online shops total is calculated at the end of the pick and I’m only charged for what I actually get. If their policy is u get credited the same way u pay that’s fair.

Reactions: Ricci
The only time I shop online is to send a gift to my interstate Godmother who lives on her own and is basically housebound due to lack of public transport in the location. The last delivery was let's just interesting to say the least. She received items that she would never be able to use let alone eat. I think they stuffed up well and truly and delivered the wrong order, but she was able to laugh about the 90 party pies/sausage rolls pack and palm them off elsewhere, and enjoy the wine that did arrive correctly. Woolies did send me a reimbursement to my PayPal account saying they could not supply some of the items and this was at Christmas so I am wondering when the new policy has started.

I do all my shopping with Woolies online and have no complaints. I always pay by paypal and any refunds are back in my paypal account long before my shopping is delivered. I now get an email from Woolies with a list of any items unavailable and it's easy to put those items first on my next order. :)

We have only had an online order once with Coles, we ordered the items and then at the end we were told what they could not deliver due to weight one of the items was sunkist 30 pack and deli meat. So instead of having it delivered we opted to do the pick up ourselves. When my husband went the person who brought it out just dumped the crates on the floor and walked away saying they would be back for the crates. My husband loaded the car and the drove away we were able to get the drinks, the meat and the other items (can't remember what they were now ) with the pick up option. However he was not impressed with the attitude of the person who brought the shopping out and said lets not do that again. We do prefer Coles but go to Woolies for any specials as they are both in the same street we don't have far to travel to make the best of our shopping money.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci