‘Outrageous!’ Why a $2.50 fee is making Telstra customers furious

We know that loyalty has its rewards, and when it comes to bills, being a loyal customer should be rewarded rather than penalised.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for one Telstra customer, who recently went public with her frustration and anger over the company's latest fees when it comes to paying bills.

The story starts with a Telstra customer from Melbourne, who, after heading down to her local post office to pay her telecommunications bill, was taken aback at an unexpected cash payment fee.

It's no wonder that this $2.50 unpleasant surprise has sent waves of discontent throughout the loyal Telstra customer community, leaving them both stumped and furious.

compressed-fb.jpeg
A woman from Melbourne expressed her criticism regarding the $2.50 fee she encountered when paying her Telstra bill at an Australian post store. Source: Facebook

The Melbourne customer took to Facebook to vent her frustration, addressing her post to the aptly-titled 'Call-Out Cashless Businesses' group.

'Have to pay $2.50 extra with Telstra because I pay cash at the post office.' she penned online, with a tone of disbelief that has echoed across the nation. 'I’ve not been charged this fee before'.

Similar discontentment is brewing among various Telstra patrons who have paid their bills in-store for many years, be it through cash or card.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but apparently the $2.50 fee is here to stay!

Starting from May 20, Telstra has increased the fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50. Additionally, customers will incur an extra charge of $2.20 for Telstra's issuance of a paper bill.

A Telstra spokeswoman shared, ‘We provide a range of options for customers when paying their bills so they can choose what is right for them. Like a lot of utilities, one option is over the counter at Australia Post.’

They went on to add, ‘When this occurs, Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer. The rate we charge our customers is still lower than what we get charged to accept these payments.’

Approximately 65 per cent of customers, consisting of various groups, will be exempted from the fee for paper bills and non-electronic payments.

compressed-Telstra-International.jpeg
Like many other businesses, Telstra encourages customers to opt for electronic payment methods when settling their bills. Source: Telstra International

They stated, ‘You can apply for an exemption if you have a valid Health Care, Pension Concession or Department of Veterans Affairs Card if you don’t have an email address, access to an active internet service or customers living in remote communities including those that are First Nations communities.’

To request an exemption, customers need to provide Telstra with the necessary details of their Australian Government Pension or Health Care Card, either by phone or in-store, if these details have not been previously registered with Telstra.

For those looking to dodge this new fee, Telstra suggests switching to an electronic mode of payment.

'Electronic options are our preferred billing and payment methods which is in step with global and local trends in billing and payments across a range of utilities, telcos and service providers.' the Telstra spokeswoman clarified.

But let's not forget that not everyone is ready to ride the 'cashless wave'.

According to a recent Reserve Bank of Australia survey, 4.5 per cent of Australia still prefers to pay with cash.

The main reasons are privacy and security concerns—reasonable in this era of cyber threats!

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne woman has expressed outrage over Telstra's $2.50 fee for paying her bill in cash at the post office.
  • Telstra has recently increased its fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50, in addition to a $2.20 charge for issuing paper bills.
  • Certain groups, including pension concession cardholders, those without internet service, and residents of remote communities, can apply for an exemption from these fees.
  • According to a 2022 survey, 4.5 per cent of Australians still pay cash for transactions, largely due to privacy and security concerns. The Telstra spokesperson suggested switching to electronic bill payments to avoid processing fees.

What are your thoughts on Telstra's decision to introduce a $2.50 fee for customers who pay their bills in cash? Do you believe it is fair or unfair? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
We should all go back to writing cheques for the stated amount, then posting them for someone to process in office. And request a receipt be posted back! I hate Telstra and will never ever go back to them
You do that and you will be paying a cheque processing fee - why should I, a Telstra customer who pays her bills on-line, fund the cost of staff processing your cheques?

The same applies to receipts, so forget it buddy!

I was with Telstra for several years but I will never have anything to do with them again.
I had my account set up for direct debit each month sometimes the payment was not going through so Telstra cuts my internet off in the middle of the night without notice needless to say I am not happy.
I call the local Telstra shop no answer each time so I have to drive 60km when I get to the Telstra shop I am asked if I have a appointment I said no because nobody answers your phone after a short period of silence I am asked why I have come to the Telstra shop I said to pay the account that is set yp for direct debit but did not go through and I was cut off during the night.
So he said go to the counter and pay the account.
This was happening several times over a year so when I was cut off I contacted a different provider and changed one of the best decisions I have ever made I have never had a problem since I changed carriers to Aussie Broadband they even do all the upgrades from their end they send out a email stating that I will be of line for a short period while they do upgrades on my modem,
I am very pleased with Aussie Broadband I have not lost internet access since I changed to them.
Why was the payment "not going through"?

Love it. Can you just imagine what would happen if all Telstra customers did this at the same time. What a payback!! All you Telstra customers need to think seriously of doing this. Me personally have not been with Telstra for many years as I got so peed off with their attitude and poor service. I use woollies pre paid and love it. $30 a month for unlimited local and international calls. The best part is that I get 32gig of data and if I don’t use it all within the month I can bank it to use anytime. Just heard that we can also link it to our woollies rewards card and get $10 off groceries. Win win. Does Telstra offer any of that?🤗🤗🤗🤗

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
Love it. Can you just imagine what would happen if all Telstra customers did this at the same time. What a payback!! All you Telstra customers need to think seriously of doing this. Me personally have not been with Telstra for many years as I got so peed off with their attitude and poor service. I use woollies pre paid and love it. $30 a month for unlimited local and international calls. The best part is that I get 32gig of data and if I don’t use it all within the month I can bank it to use anytime. Just heard that we can also link it to our woollies rewards card and get $10 off groceries. Win win. Does Telstra offer any of that?🤗🤗🤗🤗
Why would I close my Telstra account? I pay all of my invoices on-line and consequently do not get charged for using cash.

We know that loyalty has its rewards, and when it comes to bills, being a loyal customer should be rewarded rather than penalised.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for one Telstra customer, who recently went public with her frustration and anger over the company's latest fees when it comes to paying bills.

The story starts with a Telstra customer from Melbourne, who, after heading down to her local post office to pay her telecommunications bill, was taken aback at an unexpected cash payment fee.

It's no wonder that this $2.50 unpleasant surprise has sent waves of discontent throughout the loyal Telstra customer community, leaving them both stumped and furious.

View attachment 25500
A woman from Melbourne expressed her criticism regarding the $2.50 fee she encountered when paying her Telstra bill at an Australian post store. Source: Facebook

The Melbourne customer took to Facebook to vent her frustration, addressing her post to the aptly-titled 'Call-Out Cashless Businesses' group.

'Have to pay $2.50 extra with Telstra because I pay cash at the post office.' she penned online, with a tone of disbelief that has echoed across the nation. 'I’ve not been charged this fee before'.

Similar discontentment is brewing among various Telstra patrons who have paid their bills in-store for many years, be it through cash or card.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but apparently the $2.50 fee is here to stay!

Starting from May 20, Telstra has increased the fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50. Additionally, customers will incur an extra charge of $2.20 for Telstra's issuance of a paper bill.

A Telstra spokeswoman shared, ‘We provide a range of options for customers when paying their bills so they can choose what is right for them. Like a lot of utilities, one option is over the counter at Australia Post.’

They went on to add, ‘When this occurs, Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer. The rate we charge our customers is still lower than what we get charged to accept these payments.’

Approximately 65 per cent of customers, consisting of various groups, will be exempted from the fee for paper bills and non-electronic payments.

View attachment 25501
Like many other businesses, Telstra encourages customers to opt for electronic payment methods when settling their bills. Source: Telstra International

They stated, ‘You can apply for an exemption if you have a valid Health Care, Pension Concession or Department of Veterans Affairs Card if you don’t have an email address, access to an active internet service or customers living in remote communities including those that are First Nations communities.’

To request an exemption, customers need to provide Telstra with the necessary details of their Australian Government Pension or Health Care Card, either by phone or in-store, if these details have not been previously registered with Telstra.

For those looking to dodge this new fee, Telstra suggests switching to an electronic mode of payment.

'Electronic options are our preferred billing and payment methods which is in step with global and local trends in billing and payments across a range of utilities, telcos and service providers.' the Telstra spokeswoman clarified.

But let's not forget that not everyone is ready to ride the 'cashless wave'.

According to a recent Reserve Bank of Australia survey, 4.5 per cent of Australia still prefers to pay with cash.

The main reasons are privacy and security concerns—reasonable in this era of cyber threats!

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne woman has expressed outrage over Telstra's $2.50 fee for paying her bill in cash at the post office.
  • Telstra has recently increased its fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50, in addition to a $2.20 charge for issuing paper bills.
  • Certain groups, including pension concession cardholders, those without internet service, and residents of remote communities, can apply for an exemption from these fees.
  • According to a 2022 survey, 4.5 per cent of Australians still pay cash for transactions, largely due to privacy and security concerns. The Telstra spokesperson suggested switching to electronic bill payments to avoid processing fees.

What are your thoughts on Telstra's decision to introduce a $2.50 fee for customers who pay their bills in cash? Do you believe it is fair or unfair? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!
Its just annoying that big business finds all sorts of excuses to add to their already huge profits! No wonder families are needing to work 4 jobs to pay for modern life! What is the breaking point? How many suicides due to struggling to survive/ put food on the table in already tough times?
It's getting way out of hand & as a young person starting out when I moved out of home at 17yo in 1978, I could survive on one part time wage ($80wk) & at times survived easily enough as a single mum on a Centrelink link payment- pretty near impossible now!

When is this madness going to end?
When will people start pushing back & sticking up for themselves?

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
telstra could never get it right the first time when I dealt with them and I cancelled my contract with them and have never used their services since.

I was with Telstra for several years but I will never have anything to do with them again.
I had my account set up for direct debit each month sometimes the payment was not going through so Telstra cuts my internet off in the middle of the night without notice needless to say I am not happy.
I call the local Telstra shop no answer each time so I have to drive 60km when I get to the Telstra shop I am asked if I have a appointment I said no because nobody answers your phone after a short period of silence I am asked why I have come to the Telstra shop I said to pay the account that is set yp for direct debit but did not go through and I was cut off during the night.
So he said go to the counter and pay the account.
This was happening several times over a year so when I was cut off I contacted a different provider and changed one of the best decisions I have ever made I have never had a problem since I changed carriers to Aussie Broadband they even do all the upgrades from their end they send out a email stating that I will be of line for a short period while they do upgrades on my modem,
I am very pleased with Aussie Broadband I have not lost internet access since I changed to them.
Thanks for the tip about Ausie Broadband

Thankyou for writing your reply - i also am not happy with Telstra (who don't give a damm about there customers-no matter how long you have been with them) but was not sure who to change to: so that there is no disruption to my internet access, but more so with my phone as they are both on the one account - which is now costing me $87 per month, costs put up without me having a choice to say yes to this different plan! - i will give Aussie a call! The fact that you had to drive all that way only to be asked, "why did you come to Telstra today" - they do not answer the phone, you are correct - nor do they offer any apology for what you have been thru over the year with your Telstra service-and the fact that you had to drive to see them-they have no face to face customer service skills!
Milica
My apologies in delay in replying to your message re Telstra.
As I said I am extremely satisfied with Aussie Broadband $89 per month high speed broadband unlimited no worries about doing upgrades on the modem I simply receive a email from Aussie Broadband saying that they are cutting my service at a time during the night for a few minutes while they do upgrades etc on the modem.
I have been with them for over 12 months m service has never been cut off yet.