‘Not lovin’ it’ – Shocking McDonald's burger discovery causes outrage

McDonald’s is a much-loved go-to for many due to its convenience and its many classic ‘treat yourself’ meals. But sometimes, the dining experience can take a nasty turn.

Just ask this one customer who was left disgusted and outraged when her McDonald’s burger was served with a shocking discovery.

Most of us have had our fair share of good and bad fast food experiences over the years. But it can’t be as bad as Auckland customer Sarah Screw’s experience in one McDonald’s store in New Lynn, about 10km southwest of Auckland.

According to Sarah, she went for a late dinner run and purchased the classic McSpicy Bacon Deluxe – a new spin on McDonald's classic McChicken – before driving back home with her sister.

‘I took a big bite, and it tasted funny, and it was very chewy,’ Sarah told reporters.

mc1.jpg
The McSpicy Bacon Deluxe is available in Auckland stores. Credit: McDonald’s NZ.

Sarah said she opened up the patty to take a closer look, but it was covered with sauce, so she couldn’t see anything wrong.

But because she had never tried the McSpicy before, Sarah thought that the funny flavour was because of the spice.

‘I took another bite, and that’s when I realised it was completely raw,’ she claimed.

In the photos she shared, Sarah could be seen pulling the patty apart to unveil the uncooked chicken.

Sarah then returned to the restaurant to complain about the raw burger, but she claimed that the staff told her they were unable to make her a new burger because too much time had passed since she made her initial order.

‘They assumed I wanted another burger, but why would I want that? I’m never eating McDonald’s again,’ Sarah shared.

mc2.jpg
The meat was raw. Credit: Sarah Screw/Stuff-New Zealand

Following the incident, Sarah suffered from severe stomach cramps and wasn’t able to sleep until 5 am.

This prompted Sarah to lodge a complaint with the Ministry for Primary Industries in New Zealand, which said it was investigating the matter.

Food Safety Deputy Director-General Vincent Arbuckle said: ‘We have received the complaint and are looking into it. We are unable to discuss specific details about the matter while this is ongoing.’

He continued: ‘Businesses providing food services to the public are required to have a registered food control plan to ensure the food they provide is safe and suitable for customers’ consumption.’

Arbuckle also said that this raises serious health concerns because raw or undercooked chicken can be a source of bacteria such as Campylobacter.

‘Anyone who consumes raw chicken is at risk of food poisoning as it is often contaminated with Campylobacter bacteria, salmonella, and Clostridium perfringens bacteria,’ he explained.

A spokesperson for McDonald’s told reporters that the restaurant was taking the issue ‘very seriously’.

‘The restaurant immediately investigated, including several attempts to contact the customer this morning,’ the spokesperson said. However, Sarah said she has yet to receive any calls.

They also added that the burger was ‘an isolated case of human error by a staff member’ and that ‘food safety tests were all in order’.

‘Restaurant management is following up with the staff personally and reminding all staff of the correct procedures,’ the spokesperson claimed.

McDonald’s New Zealand has yet to make a new comment or update on the matter.

what_is_campylobacteriosis_.jpg
Campylobacter is a disease-causing bacteria. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

In 2017, another case of raw meat being served to customers in a McDonald’s branch in Auckland, on New Zealand’s North Island, was revealed. According to one customer, he bit off a piece of the meat before realising that it was raw.

‘That's raw chicken,’ he said in his post to social media. Many online users who saw his post were shocked by the poor food standards of the restaurant.

‘I’d be throwing it back at them. That is shocking. Make a call to the health department too,’ one wrote.

‘Good stuff checking that burger,’ another claimed.

Others joked around in the comments section.

‘It’s all good, bro. It’s just medium rare,’ one quipped.
Key Takeaways

• An Auckland woman claims she was served raw chicken in a burger at a McDonald's outlet in New Zealand.
  • Sarah Screw purchased a McSpicy Bacon Deluxe and found the chicken patty to be completely raw.
  • Screw lodged a complaint with the Ministry for Primary Industries, which is now looking into the matter.
  • A McDonald's spokesperson said the restaurant is taking the matter 'very seriously' and reminded all staff of the correct procedures.
Have you ever had a bad experience at a fast-food restaurant? Share your story with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
McDonald’s is a much-loved go-to for many due to its convenience and its many classic ‘treat yourself’ meals. But sometimes, the dining experience can take a nasty turn.

Just ask this one customer who was left disgusted and outraged when her McDonald’s burger was served with a shocking discovery.

Most of us have had our fair share of good and bad fast food experiences over the years. But it can’t be as bad as Auckland customer Sarah Screw’s experience in one McDonald’s store in New Lynn, about 10km southwest of Auckland.

According to Sarah, she went for a late dinner run and purchased the classic McSpicy Bacon Deluxe – a new spin on McDonald's classic McChicken – before driving back home with her sister.

‘I took a big bite, and it tasted funny, and it was very chewy,’ Sarah told reporters.

View attachment 19103
The McSpicy Bacon Deluxe is available in Auckland stores. Credit: McDonald’s NZ.

Sarah said she opened up the patty to take a closer look, but it was covered with sauce, so she couldn’t see anything wrong.

But because she had never tried the McSpicy before, Sarah thought that the funny flavour was because of the spice.

‘I took another bite, and that’s when I realised it was completely raw,’ she claimed.

In the photos she shared, Sarah could be seen pulling the patty apart to unveil the uncooked chicken.

Sarah then returned to the restaurant to complain about the raw burger, but she claimed that the staff told her they were unable to make her a new burger because too much time had passed since she made her initial order.

‘They assumed I wanted another burger, but why would I want that? I’m never eating McDonald’s again,’ Sarah shared.

View attachment 19104

Following the incident, Sarah suffered from severe stomach cramps and wasn’t able to sleep until 5 am.

This prompted Sarah to lodge a complaint with the Ministry for Primary Industries in New Zealand, which said it was investigating the matter.

Food Safety Deputy Director-General Vincent Arbuckle said: ‘We have received the complaint and are looking into it. We are unable to discuss specific details about the matter while this is ongoing.’

He continued: ‘Businesses providing food services to the public are required to have a registered food control plan to ensure the food they provide is safe and suitable for customers’ consumption.’

Arbuckle also said that this raises serious health concerns because raw or undercooked chicken can be a source of bacteria such as Campylobacter.

‘Anyone who consumes raw chicken is at risk of food poisoning as it is often contaminated with Campylobacter bacteria, salmonella, and Clostridium perfringens bacteria,’ he explained.

A spokesperson for McDonald’s told reporters that the restaurant was taking the issue ‘very seriously’.

‘The restaurant immediately investigated, including several attempts to contact the customer this morning,’ the spokesperson said. However, Sarah said she has yet to receive any calls.

They also added that the burger was ‘an isolated case of human error by a staff member’ and that ‘food safety tests were all in order’.

‘Restaurant management is following up with the staff personally and reminding all staff of the correct procedures,’ the spokesperson claimed.

View attachment 19110
Campylobacter is a disease-causing bacteria. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

In 2017, another case of raw meat being served to customers in a McDonald’s branch in Auckland, on New Zealand’s North Island, was revealed. According to one customer, he bit off a piece of the meat before realising that it was raw.

‘That's raw chicken,’ he said in his post to social media. Many online users who saw his post were shocked by the poor food standards of the restaurant.

‘I’d be throwing it back at them. That is shocking. Make a call to the health department too,’ one wrote.

Key Takeaways

• An Auckland woman claims she was served raw chicken in a burger at a McDonald's outlet in New Zealand.
  • Sarah Screw purchased a McSpicy Bacon Deluxe and found the chicken patty to be completely raw.
  • Screw lodged a complaint with the Ministry for Primary Industries, which is now looking into the matter.
  • A McDonald's spokesperson said the restaurant is taking the matter 'very seriously' and reminded all staff of the correct procedures.
Have you ever had a bad experience at a fast-food restaurant? Share your story with us in the comments below!
Never eaten any Macdonalds and this story makes me more determined never to do so!

Reactions: Macarj and croz
I have never heard of this in Australia. My daughter has been a manager at McDonald's for around 12 years and has worked there since she was 15 , she is 31. I just showed her this story and said she has never had anything like this at her store or any other that she knows of.
New Zealand is different her hubby who is Moari never eats McDonald's when he goes to New Zealand

Reactions: Macarj and Penny4
I bought late night diner for my son who was working night shift. He has a habit of eating one half of the burger and then the other half and but did this pay off. As he was eating one half he noticed something moving on the meat on the other half and after poking it and moving the meat he discovered three maggots in the other half of the burger. I had a video of it and took it to Macca's and they didn't believe me and wanted to know what I wanted. I said I didn't want anything but I thought they should know. She said well we didn't get any other complaints and why didn't I report it straight away as somehow it was my fault. I said it was nearly midnight when he discovered it and we live remotely and I wasn't driving all the way back there as our phones don't work where we live and work. I'm so sorry I inconvenienced you. I said they probably didn't get any complaints because people just eat the burger and wouldn't have known if it contained maggots, my son only did because of his weird eating habit...

It is not only fast food joints, I was delivered a half cooked chicken burger from Room Service at a Mercure in Townsville. Same thing I always halve the burgers before eating them. I was not impressed and I told the boss so when we got back there that I would not stay at that place ever again.

View attachment 19103

View attachment 19104

View attachment 19110

Key Takeaways

A few years ago I bought a meal from pasta cup ,halfway through eating it I was chewing on what I thought was a hard bit of pasta but when I took it out of my mouth I saw it was a fingernail,I almost threw up on the spot. I contacted the shop and the manager offered me vouchers for free pasta to which I replied no thanks I'll never eat takeaway pasta again so he sent me a couple of movie vouchers..

Reactions: Defiant540