‘Not complicated to use’: Shopper shares sentiments on self-service checkouts

The advent of self-service checkouts in supermarkets has been a game-changer for many shoppers, offering a quick and convenient way to breeze through grocery shopping.

However, for some Australians, these machines have become a source of frustration and confusion.

A recent online debate has shed light on the struggles some people face with these checkouts, sparking a discussion on whether the problem lies with the user or the technology itself.

The debate was ignited by a shopper who expressed his bafflement on social media, saying he ‘can’t imagine’ why so many people struggle with self-service checkouts.

He argued that the system is ‘not a super complicated thing to use’ and suggested that those encountering issues are ‘just doing something wrong’.

compressed-shutterstock_2248385431.jpeg
A man shared online his confusion as to why people are having problems with self-service checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I know I'm beating a dead horse with this subject, but do people REALLY have trouble at self-service checkouts?’ the shopper asked online.

‘I'm not even sure when the last time I had an issue with this was, and the scarce few times I can recall having a problem (in the distant past when I first started using them) was when I was doing genuinely silly stuff, like brain-farting and not weighing my fruit.’

The man said he’s been using self-service checkouts ‘almost daily’, and he found scanning or weighing an item and putting it in the bagging area relatively easy.

‘Some people make it sound like they're just constantly throwing errors at them. I can't help but assume it's user error, but at the same time, I can't even imagine what that might be (it's not a super complicated thing to use),' he said.

'I'm borderline fascinated by this subject whenever it comes up and would love to observe someone who struggles with these using one so I can just see what's actually happening.'

'Like when my grandma thinks her phone is broken, but she's actually just muted it,' the shopper jokingly said.

His comments sparked a flurry of responses, with many people sharing their experiences and perspectives.

While some agreed with the shopper, stating that they find self-service checkouts efficient and easy to use, others were quick to voice their frustrations.

Common complaints included the machines being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’, often not detecting items in the bagging area, and being overly sensitive to the weight of items.

Some users also reported being frequently accused of shoplifting by the system, leading to embarrassing and time-consuming interventions by store staff.

The debate also touched on the new anti-theft technology installed in many supermarkets.

While these measures are designed to prevent shoplifting, some shoppers argue that they make the self-service checkout process more complicated and time-consuming.

compressed-shutterstock_1503232544.jpeg
Most shoppers find self-service checkouts problematic for being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’. Credit: Shutterstock

For instance, one shopper shared her experience, saying: ‘'The last time I used it, the new anti-theft software stopped me three times and would not let me continue until the checkout chick confirmed that I had really scanned my stuff correctly...it added another 15 minutes to my shop.'

'Most of the issues with self-service stem from anti-theft measures. Overly sensitive scales, not giving customers the ability to fix mistakes by taking things off, etc,' another claimed.

'When my toddler is sitting in the trolley seat, the camera is convinced he's an unscanned item and won't let me proceed without a staff member,' a mum said.

Others also slammed the registers, with some saying they refused to use them.

'I have never, and I mean never, had a shop where at least one person at self-service has not had a problem which sucks,' one user said.

'The computer always has a problem with something and needs approval. They're painfully slow,' a second added.

'The machine doesn't trust you and asks the staff member to confirm that you have bags/fruit/lightweight items, and by the time you wait for them to be free, wave them down, get the machine unlocked and go back to scanning three or four times in one session, it really does start to feel like a lot bigger hassle than a regular checkout,' a third replied.

However, many said they rarely encounter issues with self-service checkouts, which has become a prevalent problem in most Australian supermarkets.

A social media poll revealed that more than 5,400 Aussies are in favour of stores removing their self-service checkouts, compared to 840 people who wanted these to stay.

'Having worked on checkouts for years (prior to self-service being installed), I almost never have an issue unless I'm getting something that weighs next to nothing (like a card),' one replied.

'I love them. It's way faster, regardless of the quantity of groceries. I hate going to the checkout and waiting, waiting, waiting. I don't have issues regardless of whether it's Woolies, BIG W or Coles. I dread the day they are killed off,' another commented.

'People just like to whinge. If they took away the self-service checkouts, there would be just as much complaining. You can't please everyone,' a third added.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper expressed confusion over Australians' difficulties with self-service checkouts, sparking debate online.
  • Critics argue that self-service machines can be slow, glitchy, and prone to false accusations of shoplifting.
  • Proponents find self-service checkouts faster and more convenient than traditional checkouts.
  • The discourse extended to introducing new anti-theft technologies, which some claimed increased shopping time.
What's your take on self-service checkouts? Do you find them convenient or confusing? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The advent of self-service checkouts in supermarkets has been a game-changer for many shoppers, offering a quick and convenient way to breeze through grocery shopping.

However, for some Australians, these machines have become a source of frustration and confusion.

A recent online debate has shed light on the struggles some people face with these checkouts, sparking a discussion on whether the problem lies with the user or the technology itself.

The debate was ignited by a shopper who expressed his bafflement on social media, saying he ‘can’t imagine’ why so many people struggle with self-service checkouts.

He argued that the system is ‘not a super complicated thing to use’ and suggested that those encountering issues are ‘just doing something wrong’.

View attachment 39393
A man shared online his confusion as to why people are having problems with self-service checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I know I'm beating a dead horse with this subject, but do people REALLY have trouble at self-service checkouts?’ the shopper asked online.

‘I'm not even sure when the last time I had an issue with this was, and the scarce few times I can recall having a problem (in the distant past when I first started using them) was when I was doing genuinely silly stuff, like brain-farting and not weighing my fruit.’

The man said he’s been using self-service checkouts ‘almost daily’, and he found scanning or weighing an item and putting it in the bagging area relatively easy.

‘Some people make it sound like they're just constantly throwing errors at them. I can't help but assume it's user error, but at the same time, I can't even imagine what that might be (it's not a super complicated thing to use),' he said.

'I'm borderline fascinated by this subject whenever it comes up and would love to observe someone who struggles with these using one so I can just see what's actually happening.'

'Like when my grandma thinks her phone is broken, but she's actually just muted it,' the shopper jokingly said.

His comments sparked a flurry of responses, with many people sharing their experiences and perspectives.

While some agreed with the shopper, stating that they find self-service checkouts efficient and easy to use, others were quick to voice their frustrations.

Common complaints included the machines being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’, often not detecting items in the bagging area, and being overly sensitive to the weight of items.

Some users also reported being frequently accused of shoplifting by the system, leading to embarrassing and time-consuming interventions by store staff.

The debate also touched on the new anti-theft technology installed in many supermarkets.

While these measures are designed to prevent shoplifting, some shoppers argue that they make the self-service checkout process more complicated and time-consuming.

View attachment 39392
Most shoppers find self-service checkouts problematic for being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’. Credit: Shutterstock

For instance, one shopper shared her experience, saying: ‘'The last time I used it, the new anti-theft software stopped me three times and would not let me continue until the checkout chick confirmed that I had really scanned my stuff correctly...it added another 15 minutes to my shop.'

'Most of the issues with self-service stem from anti-theft measures. Overly sensitive scales, not giving customers the ability to fix mistakes by taking things off, etc,' another claimed.

'When my toddler is sitting in the trolley seat, the camera is convinced he's an unscanned item and won't let me proceed without a staff member,' a mum said.

'I have never, and I mean never, had a shop where at least one person at self-service has not had a problem which sucks,' one user said.

'The computer always has a problem with something and needs approval. They're painfully slow,' a second added.

'The machine doesn't trust you and asks the staff member to confirm that you have bags/fruit/lightweight items, and by the time you wait for them to be free, wave them down, get the machine unlocked and go back to scanning three or four times in one session, it really does start to feel like a lot bigger hassle than a regular checkout,' a third replied.

However, many said they rarely encounter issues with self-service checkouts, which has become a prevalent problem in most Australian supermarkets.

A social media poll revealed that more than 5,400 Aussies are in favour of stores removing their self-service checkouts, compared to 840 people who wanted these to stay.

'Having worked on checkouts for years (prior to self-service being installed), I almost never have an issue unless I'm getting something that weighs next to nothing (like a card),' one replied.

'I love them. It's way faster, regardless of the quantity of groceries. I hate going to the checkout and waiting, waiting, waiting. I don't have issues regardless of whether it's Woolies, BIG W or Coles. I dread the day they are killed off,' another commented.

'People just like to whinge. If they took away the self-service checkouts, there would be just as much complaining. You can't please everyone,' a third added.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed confusion over Australians' difficulties with self-service checkouts, sparking debate online.
  • Critics argue that self-service machines can be slow, glitchy, and prone to false accusations of shoplifting.
  • Proponents find self-service checkouts faster and more convenient than traditional checkouts.
  • The discourse extended to introducing new anti-theft technologies, which some claimed increased shopping time.
What's your take on self-service checkouts? Do you find them convenient or confusing? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
In EU supermarkets are winding down number of self service stations. In Australia to leave only one cashier service per store is a ridiculous practice. We need to get a choice with optimal balance of two options.

I really don't mind the self service check outs. You can at least pack your groceries exactly how you want to unpack them at home. EG; I have an upstairs fridge, a downstairs fridge and a downstairs freezer. I pack my goods according to what fridge/freezer I am going to put them in and what goes in the pantry. Not that hard really.

I've swapped supermarkets for larger shops as my most local Coles is fully self-serve. Fruit and veggies annoy me no end, especially when you can't find a cob of corn under 'C' because it's under 'most popular', or Lebanese cucumber being under 'L' not 'C', which almost resulted in me paying $2 for one cucumber instead of $0.78 cents.

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

I am not a fan of self service check outs but due to there usually only being 2 staffed check outs with long queues there isn’t much option. Coles is worse than our local Woolies but I am less inclined to shop there due to their “woke” policies. The self service check outs are slow at times and glitchy, and I resent the fact that the retailers are using you to cut staff numbers, we will get to the stage where no one will have a job.

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

What I hate about Self Serve Checkouts is that when you start to take your items after paying, the voice keeps saying please remove your items, over and over, even though I am doing it. Ahhhh

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

You don’t get a reduction in price

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

you don’t get a reduction in price and you are treated like a criminal with multiple cameras checking everything you do. Many Coles stores are putting gates at the exit and if they think you have done something wrong, innocently or intentionally, the gates lock and you cannot escape!
If the only option is self serve I make the person standing around do it for me!
In Kmart I make the staff do it for me then refuse to show my docket.
I ask the person at the door: “are you accusing me of theft”, they answer “no” and I reply ”then you don’t need to see my docket” and I keep walking!

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

My problem with self serve is that some super markets scan errors when price is higher on scanned item than shelf price.
I have had it now twice in the last month alone.
They make the comment you scanned so it is your fault.
So now I go to normal check outs ONLY.
And when stores like Coles go to self serve only like after 8pm then I will just walk around to the other super markets or come back the next day and if the trolley is still their then I am half finished.

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

Personally, I just HATE them. Would rather wait in line to use a staffed teller any day. I'm only 62 and have no problems with new technology, but I prefer the human touch.

The last one had too fix an error as I had a mushroom empty bag on the out side with my milk.
I had to wait about 2 minutes for the girl to fix the error.
Yes I was about to walk but the stupid would have stopped so then thinking to go back to a normal register.
I only had milk , mushroom and a tomato.
If they had a express line I would have been back half way home by then.
Oh by the way NO more express lane anymore at my Coles.
They made 95% self serve check outs and 1 normal checkouts.

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

I love self-service I useit all the time quick and easy in and out I can pack my groceries, the way I want them packed. I don’t have to stand in a queue where people just want to chat to the cashier

The last one had too fix an error as I had a mushroom empty bag on the out side with my milk.
I had to wait about 2 minutes for the girl to fix the error.
Yes I was about to walk but the stupid would have stopped so then thinking to go back to a normal register.
I only had milk , mushroom and a tomato.
If they had a express line I would have been back half way home by then.
Oh by the way NO more express lane anymore at my Coles.
They made 95% self serve check outs and 1 normal checkouts.
Yes, really annoying that they are removing express lanes.
Even more annoying was when ignorant people line up in the express lane with a trolley load and the cashier serves them instead of sending them back to the appropriate checkout.
Some people have more front than Myers

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

I will not use self checkouts. As It puts people out of a job

I will not use self checkouts. As It puts people out of a job
I don't use them either, but they don't loose people their jobs.
Since the pandemic businesses have been struggling to get enough staff.
I have a Coles, Woolworths and Aldi where I shop, all of them are advertising for staff.
A lot of the staff have also been taken up doing online orders.

I love self-service I useit all the time quick and easy in and out I can pack my groceries, the way I want them packed. I don’t have to stand in a queue where people just want to chat to the cashier
For some of us that's the only chat with a human we have all week. Yeah, sure, I talk to my fur babies but they are not very good conversationalists (lol). Maybe you could be a bit more caring & speak to a senior who is waiting at a checkout, even if just to pass the time of day.

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

All checkout scanning is as efficient as the operator and customer. Yes that includes you regardless of self serve or checkout.