‘Looks like new again’: Say goodbye to oil stains on your clothes with this SIMPLE trick!

Many of us, from time to time, encounter the difficulties — and frustrations — of dealing with oil and various other stains on our clothing.

While there are numerous approaches to soak up oil stains, according to Perth-based cleaning influencer Carolina McCauley, the problem can be solved in four simple steps.

In the video that she posted, Carolina starts the demonstration by pouring some oil onto a spotless white t-shirt. (Do we hear gasps coming from some of you? You’re not alone!)

The first thing she does is pat the affected area of the clothing with a paper towel to drain as much oil as possible.

Screenshot_4.png
A visual to make any adult cringe: oil poured on clothes! Credit: Instagram/@carolina.mccauley
Next, she pours baking soda directly onto the stain and recommends letting it rest for an hour.

After, she mixes a cup of water with a cap of laundry detergent, stirs the mixture, and slathers it on the oil stains with a toothbrush.

Finally, she tosses the garment into a washing machine and lets it run on a normal cycle. It’s important that there’s nothing else in the washer at the same time.

And poof — the stains are gone!

After viewing the four-step hack, some users had thoughts, to say the least.

‘Best hack… use dawn dish soap, rub it in softly with a toothbrush, then launder. This will take out even old oil stains that have gone through the dryer. One step, less work, and has worked 100% of the time for me,’ one said.

One sceptical viewer wrote: ‘Seems like a serious waste of detergent for a tiny spot. I’m not sure I believe it’s the same shirt because you avoided showing it prior to putting powder on it.’

‘Just put some Dawn on it, lol,’ added one amused commenter.

‘This looks like way too much effort, just add dishwashing liquid,’ a woman echoed.

Others meanwhile offered their hacks in return.

‘Plain white chalk works too. Do not dry in the dryer until it’s gone though,’ added one person.

Source: Instagram/@carolina.mccrauley

Aside from liquid detergents and dishwashing liquids, another readily available solution to oil in clothes is vinegar. Just soak the affected clothing in a half-water and half-vinegar mixture, scrub it for a bit, and then send the clothing straight to the washing machine.

We here at the SDC have also previously written about oil removal tips, as well as some laundry hacks sure to save you time — and money — so be sure to take a peek.

Do you have any more tips for easily removing oil stains from your clothing, folks? How about those for other stubborn stains?

Share them with us using the comment section below!

Sponsored
I have a Sheridan bedspread that cost $600 and not long after I purchased it a pen leaked on it and I had a 20c piece mark on it.

I grabbed methylated spirits and a bunch of cotton balls I soaked a cotton ball a kept dabbing until it was black then grabbed another soaked in metho and dabbed , I repeated this maybe 10 times and the ink was completely removed like magic

Secret is do not rub just dab.

We would use this method on wedding dresses for marks as well

I have a Sheridan bedspread that cost $600 and not long after I purchased it a pen leaked on it and I had a 20c piece mark on it.

I grabbed methylated spirits and a bunch of cotton balls I soaked a cotton ball a kept dabbing until it was black then grabbed another soaked in metho and dabbed , I repeated this maybe 10 times and the ink was completely removed like magic

Secret is do not rub just dab.

We would use this method on wedding dresses for marks as well

Is anyone taking notes? I sure am! Thanks so much @Suzanne rose, a treasure as always :D

I ran a event decorator's for 12 years and to get marks off the chair covers we used aerogard the on with the smell just spry it on and wash and pen shoes polish would all come off

Many of us, from time to time, encounter the difficulties — and frustrations — of dealing with oil and various other stains on our clothing.

While there are numerous approaches to soak up oil stains, according to Perth-based cleaning influencer Carolina McCauley, the problem can be solved in four simple steps.

In the video that she posted, Carolina starts the demonstration by pouring some oil onto a spotless white t-shirt. (Do we hear gasps coming from some of you? You’re not alone!)

The first thing she does is pat the affected area of the clothing with a paper towel to drain as much oil as possible.

View attachment 7034
A visual to make any adult cringe: oil poured on clothes! Credit: Instagram/@carolina.mccauley
Next, she pours baking soda directly onto the stain and recommends letting it rest for an hour.

After, she mixes a cup of water with a cap of laundry detergent, stirs the mixture, and slathers it on the oil stains with a toothbrush.

Finally, she tosses the garment into a washing machine and lets it run on a normal cycle. It’s important that there’s nothing else in the washer at the same time.

‘Best hack… use dawn dish soap, rub it in softly with a toothbrush, then launder. This will take out even old oil stains that have gone through the dryer. One step, less work, and has worked 100% of the time for me,’ one said.

One sceptical viewer wrote: ‘Seems like a serious waste of detergent for a tiny spot. I’m not sure I believe it’s the same shirt because you avoided showing it prior to putting powder on it.’

‘This looks like way too much effort, just add dishwashing liquid,’ a woman echoed.

‘Plain white chalk works too. Do not dry in the dryer until it’s gone though,’ added one person.

Aside from liquid detergents and dishwashing liquids, another readily available solution to oil in clothes is vinegar. Just soak the affected clothing in a half-water and half-vinegar mixture, scrub it for a bit, and then send the clothing straight to the washing machine.

We here at the SDC have also previously written about oil removal tips, as well as some laundry hacks sure to save you time — and money — so be sure to take a peek.

Do you have any more tips for easily removing oil stains from your clothing, folks? How about those for other stubborn stains?

OMG all that water ( unless she’s got a twin tub) for 1 T shirt ridiculous

My secret for REMOVING OIL STAINS from clothing:
(I've been doing this for over 30 years and swear by it.)

Ingredients
1. Tissue paper or Paper towel or Clean cloth/towel
2. Talcum Powder
3. Stain Remover (optional)

Method
1. NEVER use water prior... with or without soap etc.,
as it will not work.
2. Soak up as much oil as possible with tissue, paper
towel or even a clean cloth - rubbing or dabbing.
3. Cover with a THICK layer of talcum powder -
pat firmly into the stain - repeat if neccessary.
4. Leave for at least 30 mins, shake off excess talc
before washing.

*Using a stain remover (eg. Vanish)
immediately prior to wash, is optional,

View attachment 7034

I've always found it far simpler to rub some non scented talcum powder into the stain while I am ironing and discovering the stain - if need be slightly warm it by lightly running the iron over it and then brushing the talc out - can be repeated if necessary.

Personally l would set this to a small load. Is the idea of a single item to prevent other items, which may be placed with it from being spoilt?
One thing l find amazing about this site is the number of helpful hints that are available through input from readers.
Being able to clean these articles means they don't need to be thrown away.

Thankyou & thankyou again.

Good point there @Ezzy! It makes sense. Personally though I'd also prefer a smaller load or even handwashing if there's only one article of clothing involved.

We also love it as well when you, our dearest members, take time and effort to share.

So, thank you as well!

Reactions: Ezzy
I find hairspray works for biro marks. Spray, then leave for a bit, then wipe with a damp cloth.
It needs to be an alcohol based like Taft hairspray which is cheap.
I use a soft toothbrush & dishwashing liquid for grease marks on clothes & leave overnight.
However, I will try the baking soda & the talcum powder tips.

Reactions: Ezzy