‘Last male sanctuary’ barber shop to pursue formalising ban on women

Robbie’s Chop Shop is working hard to become ‘the last male sanctuary’ in Adelaide after a complaint was made to Equal Opportunity South Australia (SA) about it requesting women observe that it is a male-only business.

The team behind the barber shop has decided to apply for an exemption to the Equal Opportunity Act. According to them, not only does Robbie’s Chop Shop provide haircuts and shaves, but it also provides a 'safe space for men to come together and discuss their issues'.

'Robbie’s Chop Shop does not believe that it is in breach of the Act, and sees the application as an opportunity to preserve its purpose and to be proactive in responding to the complaint and other complaints of a similar nature that have arisen in the past,' the store explained in a printed letter to its customers.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 095016.png
Robbie’s Chop Shop’s posted a letter to their customers on their social media page. Credit: @robbieschopshop/Instagram

Although the barbershop recognises its stance has sparked much debate, they remain committed to their cause. Thousands of people have flocked to their social media page to declare their solidarity and support for Robbie’s.

'I love that this exists and love the safe space you’ve created for men to unload their weights of the world without being judged and [the] freedom to speak up in a space with others that may be facing similar issues,' wrote one woman.

‘As the mum of a son, if my son's outlet was an all-male barber I would be thrilled.’

However, some have understandably taken issue with the barber shop’s stance.

‘The topic of marketing your business to male clients and being a male-focused barber is VERY different to intentionally excluding and banning women,’ one user commented on their social media post.

Another critic wrote: I hope you would welcome trans men, non-binary people and folks of any gender wanting a masculine haircut. We all deserve to feel included and safe to approach businesses knowing we won’t be turned away based on personal attributes we can’t change.'

Key Takeaways
  • An Adelaide barber shop known as Robbie's Chop Shop, which describes itself as 'the last male sanctuary,' has announced plans to formally ban women by seeking exemption from the Equal Opportunity Act.
  • The decision was made following various complaints to Equal Opportunity South Australia (SA) regarding women being asked to respect the shop's male-only rule.
  • The shop's stance has generated mixed reactions, with some people supportive of the idea of an all-male sanctuary, while others criticise the move as discriminatory and exclusionary.
  • The team behind Robbie's Chop Shop justifies the action, stating that the barbershop provides 'a safe space for men to come together and discuss their issues’.

Members, what do you think of this barber shop’s stance on gender inclusion? Is it a safe male sanctuary, or should businesses respect and promote equality regardless of gender? Let us know your opinions in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I actually agree with it as long as it doesn't become wide spread.

I'm thinking it's great a place where men can have a haircut and shave and just be men .
There are hairdressers around that caters for Moslem women and don't allow men

I remember when I was very little pubs were men only abd women could only go into the garden lounge.

I also remember the sydney Tattersals club which was men only.

There are women only gyms like Fernwood

Its not like you aee segregating nationalities

I think both women n men need their space

This is great as long as it doesn't become Too wide spread

Last edited:
Robbie’s Chop Shop is working hard to become ‘the last male sanctuary’ in Adelaide after a complaint was made to Equal Opportunity South Australia (SA) about it requesting women observe that it is a male-only business.

The team behind the barber shop has decided to apply for an exemption to the Equal Opportunity Act. According to them, not only does Robbie’s Chop Shop provide haircuts and shaves, but it also provides a 'safe space for men to come together and discuss their issues'.

'Robbie’s Chop Shop does not believe that it is in breach of the Act, and sees the application as an opportunity to preserve its purpose and to be proactive in responding to the complaint and other complaints of a similar nature that have arisen in the past,' the store explained in a printed letter to its customers.

View attachment 26930
Robbie’s Chop Shop’s posted a letter to their customers on their social media page. Credit: @robbieschopshop/Instagram

Although the barbershop recognises its stance has sparked much debate, they remain committed to their cause. Thousands of people have flocked to their social media page to declare their solidarity and support for Robbie’s.

'I love that this exists and love the safe space you’ve created for men to unload their weights of the world without being judged and [the] freedom to speak up in a space with others that may be facing similar issues,' wrote one woman.

‘As the mum of a son, if my son's outlet was an all-male barber I would be thrilled.’

‘The topic of marketing your business to male clients and being a male-focused barber is VERY different to intentionally excluding and banning women,’ one user commented on their social media post.

Another critic wrote: I hope you would welcome trans men, non-binary people and folks of any gender wanting a masculine haircut. We all deserve to feel included and safe to approach businesses knowing we won’t be turned away based on personal attributes we can’t change.'

Key Takeaways

• An Adelaide barber shop known as Robbie's Chop Shop, which describes itself as 'the last male sanctuary,' has announced plans to formally ban women by seeking exemption from the Equal Opportunity Act.
  • The decision was made following various complaints to Equal Opportunity South Australia (SA) regarding women being asked to respect the shop's male-only rule.
  • The shop's stance has generated mixed reactions, with some people supportive of the idea of an all-male sanctuary, while others criticise the move as discriminatory and exclusionary.
  • The team behind Robbie's Chop Shop justifies the action, stating that the barbershop provides 'a safe space for men to come together and discuss their issues’.

Members, what do you think of this barber shop’s stance on gender inclusion? Is it a safe male sanctuary, or should businesses respect and promote equality regardless of gender? Let us know your opinions in the comments section below.
I think there are a LOT more serious issues going on in this world than to have to worry about a men only barber shop.🙄🤨 Just let it be. At the end of the day are they really doing anything wrong.?????🤔

For heaven's sake, it is their business and they should be allowed to do as they please.
There are literally thousands of barber shops and hairdressers.To the people who like to make a.carry on about these things, get over yourself and get a life
If this is such a big drama in your life, you really have big problems.

He should be able to run the business his way and not be dictated to by BIG BROTHER , there is too much interference by governments in people’s lives.
I agree, government should keep their noses out of this and so many other things that entitled people get a bee in their bonnet about.
Stop dictating to people what they can and can't do and spend their time worrying about more important things, such as governing the country PROPERLY.
Who gives a sh*** where people get their hair cut.

NEWSFLASH......2023...there is two sexes in the world. MALE AND FEMALE anything else. is a deviation from the facts and as such should be dealt with. as a deviation from the truth .....GROW UP..have your deviation but don't force the sane world to live by your code of craziness....the world is getting more stupid every day

NEWSFLASH......2023...there is two sexes in the world. MALE AND FEMALE anything else. is a deviation from the facts and as such should be dealt with. as a deviation from the truth .....GROW UP..have your deviation but don't force the sane world to live by your code of craziness....the world is getting more stupid every day
I am glad I am the age I am and was lucky enough to grow up in a reasonably sane world, withstanding wars etc which we humans never seem to learn anything from.
But this current age of lunatics, considering themselves binary, nonbinary, them or whatever rubbish they dream up is beyond crazy.Telling children in school they can choose what sex they are, or how even worse still parents filling their heads with such nonsense. This is a subject for those such unfortunate people who find themselves in this situation, not the general public.
Day by day we get as crazy as America.

View attachment 26930

Key Takeaways

I applaud this particular Barber shop owner. Why can't he have a men only shop? For heaven's sake there are many women's hairdresser shops out there for women to use as well as those who cater for all 'different' genders. I really don't have any issue with this, let the man run his shop how he wants. We are very fast becoming far too 'politically correct' and I for one am fed up with it

View attachment 26930

Key Takeaways

View attachment 26930

Key Takeaways

I as a woman completely agree that men should have a place like women that they can go and discuss any issues in private that they may have. Woman have a place they can talk about their issues so why not men. For goodness sake do women have to be in on everything that men do or vice versus. What is this world coming too

I as a woman completely agree that men should have a place like women that they can go and discuss any issues in private that they may have. Woman have a place they can talk about their issues so why not men. For goodness sake do women have to be in on everything that men do or vice versus. What is this world coming too.
Barbara Crook

View attachment 26930

Key Takeaways

A barber shop is essential for mens mental health. Just like females who get things off their chest at the hairdresser. Give the blokes a break.