‘I work for the bills’—Find out how this Aussie mum earns an extra $500 a week–even with a full-time job

The cost of living continues to increase every year, leaving many feeling stretched and struggling to stay out of debt.

For one mum-of-four, juggling the mortgage along with day-to-day expenses was getting far too hard.

That’s why she decided to turn to something unexpected to supplement her family’s income–grocery shopping!

'I have four kids, 10 through to 16–the expensive years. Having three teenage boys, the food for school next week is already eaten over the weekend,' said Amanda.

So, with bills rolling in, Amanda jumped on DoorDash–a door-to-door food delivery platform–three nights a week to help her family stay afloat, earning her an additional $500 each week. Her extra income is generated by doing grocery shopping for other people.

photo (2).png
A mum-of-four has jumped on DoorDash for extra income. Image source: DoorDash.

'I start work at my full-time job at 7.30 am, finish around 4 pm and then start DoorDash after the kids have settled in for the night,' she explained.

Once the children are in for the night, Amanda logs on to DoorDash at around 6 pm and waits to receive a request for fast food pick-up or grocery shopping.

Once she receives a request, she jumps in her car and heads to the store to do the grocery shopping, while her husband–who also hops on the platform when he can–stays home with the kids. Most of the orders she fulfils are for groceries.

'I do a lot of Coles orders,' she says.

'Sometimes it is just food for the dinner they are making, or sometimes it can be a full grocery shop.'

And she makes sure each shop she does is also helping her in her own grocery for the week, taking notes on the specials and items on sale at the store.

Amanda’s goal is to do around six orders a night, with the mum revealing she can pull in $150 from an evening of picking up groceries.

She also aims to schedule her trips around her family’s busy life.

'My older kids have part-time jobs and sometimes have three-hour shifts, and we live a bit out of town,' she explains.

'So, instead of driving back and forth to drop her kids off, I use that time to work too.'

But unfortunately, like many hardworking individuals who pick up delivery work, Amanda admits she's been on the receiving end of distasteful stigma.

'I just feel like there is some negativity around it. I get this feeling like people are judging me,' she expresses.

'It does get me down when I’m out picking up an order, and I see looks.'

Despite many delivery drivers feeling the same way, Amanda remains undeterred, recalling a poignant exchange with a fellow driver.

'He was over 60, and his wife was dying of cancer,' Amanda said, explaining the reality of some drivers.

'We are all out there just trying to make ends meet.'

It is no secret that millions are feeling the pressure of rising living costs.

But good news is on the horizon…

Soon, Aussies will enjoy a boost to their finances due to the most extensive set of permanent Centrelink payment increases starting September 20.

There’s more–starting September 1, millions of Australians living with chronic health conditions will also be able to take advantage of a 60-day dispensing period for certain medications–costing them only half of their medication costs.

You can read more about this news in this article we wrote.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mother named Amanda earns up to $500 weekly by shopping for DoorDash customers.
  • She juggles her full-time job and family responsibilities with this side hustle to meet the cost of living, which includes a mortgage and expenses related to her four children.
  • Amanda usually completes six shopping orders a night, often from Coles supermarket, after her day job and family duties.
  • Despite her initiative, Amanda says there is a negative stigma attached to being a delivery driver and shares that she sometimes feels judged by others.
Do you have any tips on how to stretch the budget further? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I take my hat off to this person (assuming it's actually a real story not a sitting around the table meeting of writers). I question how much someone is actually earning doing these deliveries, unless you're sitting in the carpark of the supermarket or restaurant etc, the time, fuel, wear and tear on car etc means. Based on maybe 4 deliveries at the peak time (2 hours tops) to collect, deliver etc maybe 20min at $7-8 per delivery, less the cost of fuel you're at best earning $15 per hour.

I take my hat off to this person (assuming it's actually a real story not a sitting around the table meeting of writers). I question how much someone is actually earning doing these deliveries, unless you're sitting in the carpark of the supermarket or restaurant etc, the time, fuel, wear and tear on car etc means. Based on maybe 4 deliveries at the peak time (2 hours tops) to collect, deliver etc maybe 20min at $7-8 per delivery, less the cost of fuel you're at best earning $15 per hour.
And what about tax also?😁

I’ve looked at a few of the delivery jobs, both with the DoorDash type and regular courier type of jobs and all require an ABN before you start. But I’m told that I need to state employers name before I can get an ABN, so seems like a catch 22 situation! Even for the cabs I need an ABN before I can sign up

I’ve looked at a few of the delivery jobs, both with the DoorDash type and regular courier type of jobs and all require an ABN before you start. But I’m told that I need to state employers name before I can get an ABN, so seems like a catch 22 situation! Even for the cabs I need an ABN before I can sign up
That's not true, you name yourself as the 'employer' anyone can register for an ABN if you don't use it within 12mths it will be inactivated.

Wondered the same & I believe there's been some spotlight on this sort of work (gig workers, harvest jobs, etc) from the unions highlighting the very low pay/income. Like so much of this type of work & subcontract type work, very hard to make a living from it unless you are the employer i would think & possibly in fact even put one out of pocket! I would be very cautious before agreeing to do this & risk being exploited

Reactions: Tervueren
If you're struggling I guess it's better than nothing.
Perhaps she's forgetting to take into account these hidden costs.
When flipping houses, a few years ago now, my husband would always be saying "oh, we made x amount of dollars on that house"completely forgetting about settlement fees, stamp duty (thats a big forget) petrol expenses running around picking up timber, etc. Not quite the profit he thought.

A shame alot more people who are capable of working don't go out and get their first job let alone extra jobs like this person to make ends meet. Well done. Shows what can be done if you put your mind to it and the flow on affect can be amazing.

I’m sceptical as well… with the high cost of petrol snd the time it takes to shop I don’t know how it could be worth it plus the fact that she has to be up at some ungodly hour to be at her full time job by 7.30 the next morning she would only see the kids for 2 hours a day I know it’s tough we are all doing it tough but I would sacrifice other things rather than precious time with my family. But good on her if she’s able to do that not all of us can

Shouldn't the employer be yourself? Can you create a business name starting with the name you want your customers to call you?

Some years ago we had our own business.
The business name was registered using the 1st letter of our Christian Names together with the 1st letter of our Surname (ELM) & we added Gardening & Handyman Service.
Once registered we applied for an ABN & used our joint bank acct for deposits though in this ladies situation with another job she may have set up a Business Account for this.
We used a Tax Agent at Tax time. Deductions included mileage for the vehicle, Tax Agent's fee & sundry items. As a 2nd job, an allowance for job to job may be allowable as a deduction too.