‘I want to stay here’: Grandmother faces deportation after living in Australia for 40 years

In a shocking turn of events, a grandmother who has called Australia home for over four decades is now facing deportation back to the United Kingdom, a country she no longer has any ties with.

This unexpected predicament has left her, her family, and her community in Northern New South Wales in a state of disbelief and distress.

Meet Mary Ellis, a 74-year-old ‘local hero’ who has been an integral part of her community for the past 40 years.

Ellis, originally from London, moved to Australia when she was just 31.

She was under the impression that she and her then-boyfriend had been granted permanent visas, a belief that shaped her life in Australia.

FB resize 1889.jpg
Mary Ellis has lived in Australia for 40 years and has been volunteering ever since. Credit: A Current Affair / Youtube

Ellis has since built a life in Australia, raising her son and two granddaughters and dedicating her time to volunteering with the Salvation Army and feeding the homeless in Tweed Heads.

Her selfless service to the community even earned her a nomination for the NSW Volunteer of the Year award in 2023.

Despite her contributions to Australian society, Ellis is now facing deportation due to a sudden decision by the Department of Home Affairs.

The department claimed that Ellis was never granted permanent residency, a fact that Ellis disputes, stating that she has always believed herself to be a permanent resident.

'I have a Driver's Licence, ID card, Medicare Card, and Pension card. Everything Australians have,' Ellis said.

'I thought, well, I'm a permanent resident. You know, I carry on doing my daily—what I do every day. Nobody said anything.'

‘This is my home, and I love Australia...I want to stay here,’ Ellis said while in tears.

‘Just let me get Australian citizenship, please let me...that's what I want.’

Ellis' case has sparked a wave of support, with migration agent Stanley Schneider offering his assistance pro bono.

Schneider argued that Ellis should be considered an absorbed person under the Migration Act 1958, given her long-standing presence in Australia and her clean record.

He said Home Affairs ‘suddenly’ decided Ellis had to leave the country.

‘They contacted Mary and asked her to go into the Brisbane office,’ he said.

‘And she went, and they told her that she shouldn't be in Australia.’

‘She's always paid her taxes…she's never even had a speeding ticket. She's never infringed anything. She's never offended anyone,’ Schneider added.

The Act stipulates that a person must have been in Australia since April 2, 1984, and not have left the country.

However, the Department of Home Affairs alleged that Ellis left the country three times under different aliases, a claim that Ellis vehemently denied.

‘I love Australia. I didn't want to go anywhere else,’ Ellis said.

Adding to the confusion, the department claims that Ellis's then-boyfriend, known to her as 'Martin Ellis', was actually 'Trevor Warren', who is now deceased.

Ellis disputed this, saying, ‘I'd say it's wrong. I came with Martin Ellis, my partner at the time, on a permanent visa.’

‘I wasn't really with him for all that long, you know, not very long. And then we went our separate ways.’

Ellis maintained that she has documents to prove her continuous presence in Australia, including a job reference from a Tasmanian restaurant and a Medicare enrolment letter signed by the then federal health minister.

Schneider argued that these documents would not have been issued if Ellis had not been in the country.

'Mary Ellis is a decent person. A person we should be absolutely thrilled to have in Australia,' Schneider said.

'And she's an Australian, Let's face it.'

The Department of Home Affairs, while not commenting on individual cases, stated that 'people who do not have the right to remain in Australia are expected to depart.'

‘Non-citizens are expected to comply with requirements to advise the Department of incorrect information and give correct answers in response to questions that may arise in visa applications, passenger cards, or in responses to notices issued by the Department,’ the spokesperson said.

You can watch A Current Affair’s coverage below:

Credit: A Current Affair / Youtube

Key Takeaways

• Mary Ellis, a grandmother who has lived in Australia for over 40 years and is highly regarded by her community, is facing deportation to the UK.
  • Despite contributing to society and having no criminal record, Ellis never received permanent residency, a situation she was reportedly unaware of.
  • A migration agent is supporting her pro bono, arguing that she should be allowed to stay under the Migration Act as she's an 'absorbed person.'
  • The Department of Home Affairs has stated she must leave while not commenting directly on her case, indicating people without the right to remain are expected to depart.
What do you think about Mary Ellis’ situation? Have you or someone you know faced similar challenges? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
What a load of Bullshit,we allow a lot of Africans into the country which is ok but many of them commit terrible crimes but are allowed to stay ,but this woman has contributed to society and has been told to leave, what are we coming to.

Reactions: relljube
I have not read all the posts here but am commenting on the few I have read. First please do not use words criticising people's ethnicity, and unsavoury and abusive language. There is a much easier and polite way to express your opinions.

I do feel for this lady after she has been here for so long but "under the impression" (in her words) cannot be taken as meaning a "granted visa or citizenship for permanent" status. I came to this country in 1965 with my parents and siblings, got my citizenship in 1971, had to prove that I was still engaged to my fiance and would get married when he came here (he was still overseas in another country at the time), that he was not of dark complexion, his parents had to front up to the embassy overseas to show their skin colour. That was during the time of Prime Minister Robert Menzies.

As I see it, all government sites that pay monies, issue passports, visas & permanent residency, issue CentreLink, Pensions, Medicare etc should all be on the same page and connected with one another to eliminate this business of continually checking all your statistics and eligibilities every time you apply for something.

They are all our government departments so should have access to all needed information. No good us saying 'why does this department or that department need my personal information'. The mistakes we see so often are because government departments are not connected with one another. And there are often issues with technology due to incompetence of those writing the programs for the government - these people MUST be vetted thoroughly in relation to their competence in what they are employed to do.

Reactions: Rob44 and EILEEN W
Shae on you SDC!!
What a lot of horrendous bigotry, hatred and racial prejudice your readers spit out just proving there is a very ugly and dangerous element within Australian society. Most of their comments are repeated false facts from a certain scandal seeking, LNP financed TV station. They haven't bothered to listen or understand properly, check the actual facts and so let themselves become ridiculous in their vitriolic outbursts, just like the red capped and redneck followers of Trump. Hitler would have just loved them.
I agree this lady has more than enough reasons to be allowed to stay here. Peter Dutton's niece has/maybe had, a leading position in running our detention centres. She was responsible for keeping the Biloela family locked away alone for over a year in a detention camp for being late in renewing their visas before public outcry got them released with permission to stay.
All the hatred and disgusting comments about other Australians most of whom have every right to be here as any other so-called Aussie, will not help this lady's situation and shame on you SDC for publishing such vile comments.

Shae on you SDC!!
What a lot of horrendous bigotry, hatred and racial prejudice your readers spit out just proving there is a very ugly and dangerous element within Australian society. Most of their comments are repeated false facts from a certain scandal seeking, LNP financed TV station. They haven't bothered to listen or understand properly, check the actual facts and so let themselves become ridiculous in their vitriolic outbursts, just like the red capped and redneck followers of Trump. Hitler would have just loved them.
I agree this lady has more than enough reasons to be allowed to stay here. Peter Dutton's niece has/maybe had, a leading position in running our detention centres. She was responsible for keeping the Biloela family locked away alone for over a year in a detention camp for being late in renewing their visas before public outcry got them released with permission to stay.
All the hatred and disgusting comments about other Australians most of whom have every right to be here as any other so-called Aussie, will not help this lady's situation and shame on you SDC for publishing such vile comments.
Well said!

Reactions: SEAN
That’s ridiculous we have all these so called boat people they released from detention and didn’t deport and the Government wants to deport Mary? This makes no sense at all
The original boat people were convicts and criminals and Irish terrorists deported from Mother England to Australia. Ho hum...........The First Fleet etc. embarassing, innit?

hey gov. idiots! go and catch some illegal immigrants instead of doing this cheap garbage on an honest lady that has paid her dues etc. etc.

The original boat people were convicts and criminals and Irish terrorists deported from Mother England to Australia. Ho hum...........The First Fleet etc. embarassing, innit?
our country is up the shit with the way these nitwits are doing to innocent folk

WE SHOULD BE KICKING OUT ALL THESE CRIMINAL POLITICIANS THAT RUINING THIS COUNTRY. EVEN IF THEY HAVE BEE BORN HERE.;

This situation is ludicrouswhen you consider a few weeks ago a criminal was released after having supposedly served his sentence for committing act of terrorism against Australia. It was also announced on his release that his citizenship had been revoked, BUT he has been allowed to remain in Australia. Why hasn't he been deported?

Reactions: relljube
hey gov. idiots! go and catch some illegal immigrants instead of doing this cheap garbage on an honest lady that has paid her dues etc. etc.

Please, let's take religion out of this conversation as it has nothing to do with it. This is about Mary being asked to leave HER country. If she is deported, then make big waves to get rid of all the illegal persons released to live off government handouts.
Refugees may arrive on boats and planes but refugees have a certain protected status if the country they arrive in has signed up to agree to the appropriate convention concerning refugees. They are not illegal immigrants but remain in limbo between being refugee and illegal immigrant until their bona fides as refugees has been established properly. As an aside, those ordering and carrying out the criminal bombing of Gaza and shooting civilians and medical personnel are either descended from what were most certainly illegal immigrants, or perhaps were illegals as newborns back in 1947. Funny old world, innit? Waltzing Matilda!

It seems the Government has been treating her like an Australian resident/citizen all these years.
Let's hope the Migration Agent can argue that the Government has been making mistakes about her residency all these years and should atone for their mistakes.

Reactions: Rob44
Refugees may arrive on boats and planes but refugees have a certain protected status if the country they arrive in has signed up to agree to the appropriate convention concerning refugees. They are not illegal immigrants but remain in limbo between being refugee and illegal immigrant until their bona fides as refugees has been established properly. As an aside, those ordering and carrying out the criminal bombing of Gaza and shooting civilians and medical personnel are either descended from what were most certainly illegal immigrants, or perhaps were illegals as newborns back in 1947. Funny old world, innit? Waltzing Matilda!
Another who is ignorant of history!

Why did she never apply to become a citizen though?
Because English people believed that they give up their birth right by becoming naturalised, my ex-husband took out Australian citizenship and his family didn't speak to him for almost three months. They believed it lowered their standards.

A typical stuff up with Government Departments. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, as the saying goes. There are so many immigrants who do the wrong thing, but still allowed to stay. Here is a Lady, who has not only worked, but now Volunteers here is being told to leave. But again, that`s how the Australian Government works, and it doesn`t matter what Government is in.

Reactions: Rob44
Why are you sending this beautiful woman back to UK , when she has lived in Australia for 50 odd years, With no criminal records
We have criminal in Australia who break our rules rape, robb, and have killed people they don't respect our laws and in some cases didn't respect our women. They are refugee they are jailed because they broke our laws , why aren't they sent back to the country they came from????????
Please let this lovely innocent lady who wants to stay in Australia stay here where she is happy and her family are here