‘I’m getting through it’: Gordon Ramsay shares details on his bike crash

Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay is no stranger to high-pressure situations, having faced the heat of the kitchen in front of millions on television.

However, it was a cycling accident in the United States that recently brought the renowned chef face-to-face with a different kind of challenge—one that could have cost him his life.

The renowned chef, known for his fiery temperament and culinary excellence, has revealed that he is fortunate to be alive after a 'really bad' cycling collision in Connecticut, USA.

In a video on social media, Ramsay displayed a purple bruise that marred a large area of his torso, a visual testament to the severity of the crash.

image.jpg
Gordon Ramsay shared his near-death experience after a bike crash. Credit: @gordongram / Instagram

'Hey guys, it's Gordon. I'd like to share a very important message with you all. You know how much I love cycling and triathlons and Ironman [races], etc, and this week, unfortunately, I had a really bad accident, and it really shook me, and honestly, I’m lucky to be here,' Ramsay said, while his hands were shaking in the video.

‘Those incredible trauma surgeons, doctors, and nurses in the hospitals looked after me this week. They were amazing, but honestly, you’ve got to wear helmets.’

‘I don’t care how short the journey is. I don’t care…these helmets cost money, but they’re crucial, even with a kid’s short journey, they’ve got to wear a helmet,’ he added.

‘Now, I’m lucky to be standing here. I’m in pain. It’s been a brutal week. And I’m sort of getting through it.’

Despite the trauma, Ramsay reassured his followers that he was 'doing OK and did not break any bones or suffer any major injuries, but I am a bit bruised up looking like a purple potato’.

He extended his gratitude to the trauma surgeons, doctors, and nurses at Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London, Connecticut, who provided him with exceptional care.

Gordon Ramsay's journey from Johnstone, near Glasgow in Scotland, to becoming one of the world's most recognisable chefs is a tale of relentless ambition and hard work.

With a string of successful restaurants in the United Kingdom and United States and his current starring role in the US show Next Level Chef, Ramsay's influence on the culinary scene is indelible.

You can watch Ramsay’s video below:

Credit: @gordongram / Instagram

In a previous story, an Aussie mum shared her encounter with Gordon Ramsay on Food Stars.

Despite initial nervousness, she impressed Ramsay with her bestseller product. You can read more about her product and the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Gordon Ramsay experienced a severe cycling accident in the US, which he said could have been fatal.
  • He attributed his survival to wearing a helmet, which he emphasised is essential regardless of the journey's length.
  • Ramsay shared a video and photos of his injuries, alongside a crushed helmet, to highlight the importance of cycling safety.
  • Despite the accident, Ramsay confirmed he did not break any bones or suffer major injuries but is significantly bruised.
Have you or someone you know ever had a close call while riding? How do you ensure safety when you're out on your bike? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
The best advice Gordon shared here was to always wear a helmet, the very point Safety Agencies have been pushing for years. Just goes to prove that these mishaps can happen to any person, regardless of who you are.

Years ago my daughter came off her push bike & broke her clavicle. Thankfully @ the time she was wearing a helmet.

One point not always emphasised is that regardless of the impact the helmet should be discarded due to possible invisible cracks in the helmet rendering it unsafe.

We lost someone close to us in a motor bike accident 2 years ago, he was only 38.
He turned a corner , we think the sun was in his eyes, he came off his bike and his head hit a tyre on a park car. He broke his neck and died instantly.
Sadly his mum was driving her car behind him and saw everything.

I wonder if Gordon Ramsey was sober

We lost someone close to us in a motor bike accident 2 years ago, he was only 38.
He turned a corner , we think the sun was in his eyes, he came off his bike and his head hit a tyre on a park car. He broke his neck and died instantly.

If anyone is upset at my laughing emoji, it was in response to the bolded sentence.

My apologies.

Reactions: Tervueren

That is so tragic, my Grandson was killed in a car accident just before his 21st birthday. My heart goes out to your family for you loss.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Tervueren
I consider bike helmets to be as effective as an ice cream container secured around the chin by a piece of elastic.

I wouldn't ride a bicycle with nothing less than a full face motorcycle helmet.
I wouldn't ride a bicycle in Australia full stop.