‘I’m disgusted’: Unexpected find in online grocery order bewilders Woolworths shopper

Online grocery shopping has become a lifeline for many—convenient, easy, and time-saving.

But what happens when the product quality falls short of expectations?

One mum, Beth, grappled with this issue after a shocking discovery in her Woolworths online order.

In her order, Beth had included her favourite Frico Maasdam Holland Cheese Wedge.

But imagine her disgust when she opened the package to find the cheese covered in mould.

Her photos showed a large circle of mould on the back of the cheese and a smaller spot on the front.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 8.45.52 AM.png
Beth found a large mould on her cheese from her online order. Credit: Beth

‘I order all my shopping online because it's easier, I don't drive, and I have small children,’ Beth said.

‘Over the last six years, I have learned I cannot order any fresh produce as it gets squashed or arrives mouldy. That I could deal with, although it made me a little annoyed.’

‘This week, I ordered my favourite cheese and…I'm disgusted,’ she complained.

After contacting Woolworths, Beth was offered a $6.50 refund for the mouldy cheese.

However, she believed this response fell short.

She has called on the supermarket giant to do more to ensure the quality of their products, especially those delivered through online orders.

In response to Beth's complaint, Woolworths issued an apology, stating, 'We apologise for this poor experience. We have seen the attached images of the mouldy cheese, and this is unacceptable.'

A spokesperson further added that they take food safety 'very seriously' and were 'disappointed' to see the customer's report.

‘We have been speaking to this customer directly and have passed the feedback on to our personal shoppers,’ the spokesperson said.

The supermarket encouraged customers to contact the Woolworths contact centre or visit a service desk if they have any concerns with a product.

Unfortunately, Beth's experience is not an isolated incident.

Just recently, another Woolworths customer reported finding an insect in his mixed salad from the supermarket.
Key Takeaways

• A Geelong customer was 'disgusted' to find mould on her Frico Maasdam Holland cheese from an online Woolworths order.
  • The customer had been ordering online for convenience but faced issues with quality fresh produce.
  • Woolworths offered a refund and apologised for the 'unacceptable' quality of the cheese.
  • The supermarket emphasised they take food safety 'very seriously' and are addressing the issue with their personal shoppers.
Have you ever received an unsatisfactory product from your online orders? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: PattiB and Agave
Sponsored
If you don't like the shopping service maybe try getting off your arses and do your own. People are just lazy these days. Always got an excuse not to do something. Previous generations did it all and had none of the modern conveniences of today.
So, David, I take it you still use a washboard and an ice chest. Don't have any modern conveniences.
I used online shopping when my husband was alive, because I was unable to leave him and even if I could, I was not risking him catching Covid that I picked up in the supermarket. I could have placed him into a nursing home so I could do the shopping, but grocery delivery seemed the lesser of two evils. Many women these days hold down full-time jobs and still have to run a household. Are they lazy because they get a little help with shopping or smart because they are able to spend time more usefully with family?
The young woman across the street from me has her groceries delivered, she is an ambulance officer and works long hours. I don't begrudge her one minute of the help she chooses for herself. People are not always lazy, as you put it, but you are judgmental.
The point is that Woolies and Coles offer a service and should perform it properly, like every other service we pay for.

I never order fruit and veg from Woolworths. AND even when I make the effort to go and pick them up myself half of them are rotten. The fruit looks O.K. on the outside, but cut it open and it is only good for the garbage bin. Of course I am still paying top prices for it. I wonder how many years it has sat in cold storage before being offered for sale. Obviously way to long.
I ended up with 5ks of rotten potatoes in my bagged ones!! Everyone I went to peel were spoiled in the middle!!! I may had 400gm after I cut it off. Veggies and fruit are old and dried out more and more!! It's sad...😔

2 weeks ago I did an online shop at woolies ( CQ) for to boot pickup - a 2 kg bag of washed potatoes and a lovely looking rockmelon was put into a cool, dark spot in my kitchen - the rockmelon had a pressure mark but was okay - 7 days later the rockmelon had imploded and the potatoes were rotten. Like you I will not be buying fruit and vege from woolies again. Their pickers don't check the items - I think they hire anyone at all and they don't have any idea and most of what we get has been in cold storage for way too long. Where I am there has been a lot of produce we just can't get at all ( in catalogue) I haven't been able to get Roma tomatoes for months and the bread we like is always unavailable online but I have gone into the store and what do I find on the shelves our bread - asked why and they couldn't explain.
Most people don't realize that Woollies is a South African owned company, Coles is Aust. owned