‘Gotta roll my eyes at this’: Big change to Woolworth's trolleys infuriates shoppers

It seems like 'going green' is the motto of most people and businesses these days. But such well-intentioned changes also come with a fair share of trials.

Supermarket giant Woolworths has started to embrace the trend of reducing its carbon footprint, but it seemed that shoppers ended up being infuriated at the change.

Earlier this year, Woolworths said they would be introducing ‘greener’ trolleys.

These new carts are made from HDPE—high-density polyethylene, which is one of the most widely used types of plastic, and will replace steel trolleys when they become 'aged, broken or need replacing', and are being used in all new Woolworths stores.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 1.23.51 PM.jpeg
Woolworths introduced ‘greener’ trolleys to its stores. Credit: Reddit

‘The majority of recycled HDPE is from milk bottles, but there is a percentage from other drink bottles like juice bottles,’ a spokesperson for Woolworths said.

A Woolworths customer shared his frustration on social media about the rollout of the 'greener' plastic carts, claiming they are too small and that he needs to use two trolleys whenever he shops fortnightly.

'Would like to know why the new plastic trolleys are so much smaller than the old ones?' he asked.

'Do a large shop every fortnight and need to use two. Annoying that I have to fill one, then go back and fill another,’ he added.

‘Yep, save the planet by using recycled plastic—but hey, make them bigger with a dedicated front with a meat/frozen section.

‘Whoever thought these plastic ones [were] a good idea is probably single, no kids.’

It is understood that while there is a size difference between the existing steel trolleys and the new plastic carts, it is not noticeable.

The arrival of the new trolleys has been met with mixed reactions.

'They are garbage,' said one.

Another said, 'Gotta roll my eyes at this. Plastic—these will become manky and gross in no time. Original ones being stainless steel were stainless steel for good reasons.'

‘Looking forward to using these trolleys. Would be great to still have a divider. I’ve always used the divider for my frozen and cold items…helps sort your chiller bags. Others use it for fruit, vegetables, or bread,’ another commented.

But not everyone has been so quick to judge, and they even voiced their excitement over the new carts.

'I love how light and manoeuvrable the new trolleys are. They are firm and sturdy but so easy to steer,' one said.

Another commented, ‘I eagerly await these being phased into my local—I think they’ll also give a good visual reminder on our plastic footprint while we shop.’

A third said, ‘I absolutely love this, what a great initiative.’

With the switch to plastic, the supermarket has claimed there has been some positive feedback for the new, greener trolleys.

‘We’re working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,’ a spokesperson for Woolworths said.

‘Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores. We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years,’ he added.

‘We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.’

It is also understood that the new recycled trolleys are lighter than the stainless steel ones, and customers, particularly seniors, will have an easier time pushing and manoeuvring the carts.

In case the trolley breaks or needs replacement, they will be recycled back into shopping trolley baskets.

This is different from metal trolleys, as they are redistributed into the fleet and recycled if they’re ready to be retired.

Recently, Woolworths also announced its joint initiative with Healthylife—a pharmacy and wellbeing website—by rolling out its optional in-store trolley ‘divider’ for shoppers to sort their groceries into five labelled compartments: fruit, vegetables and legumes, grains, meat, and dairy. If you’re curious to read more details, you can find them here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has expressed frustration over the supermarket's new environmentally-friendly green plastic shopping carts, which he claims are too small for his large fortnightly shop.
  • The new trolleys are made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), primarily from recycled milk bottles, and are being introduced to all new Woolworths stores.
  • Despite some customers' apprehensions about the plastic trolleys, others have praised their lightness and manoeuvrability.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson emphasised the environmental benefits of the new trolleys with positive feedback, particularly among older customers who found them easier to push and manoeuvre. The trolleys are recyclable into shopping baskets, unlike the metal ones.

What do you think of Woolworth’s new trolleys? Have you used them? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We have had these trolleys for a long time at my local WW. However, the trolleys in the picture are the small size & there is a larger one, the same as the old metal trolleys.
As for the person who wants a divider in the trolley - I have never seen such a thing, either in the old metal trolleys or in the newer plastic ones. The only form of divider is a place to sit a child & that is only in the large trolley, not the small one.

It seems like 'going green' is the motto of most people and businesses these days. But such well-intentioned changes also come with a fair share of trials.

Supermarket giant Woolworths has started to embrace the trend of reducing its carbon footprint, but it seemed that shoppers ended up being infuriated at the change.

Earlier this year, Woolworths said they would be introducing ‘greener’ trolleys.

These new carts are made from HDPE—high-density polyethylene, which is one of the most widely used types of plastic, and will replace steel trolleys when they become 'aged, broken or need replacing', and are being used in all new Woolworths stores.

View attachment 34709

‘The majority of recycled HDPE is from milk bottles, but there is a percentage from other drink bottles like juice bottles,’ a spokesperson for Woolworths said.

A Woolworths customer shared his frustration on social media about the rollout of the 'greener' plastic carts, claiming they are too small and that he needs to use two trolleys whenever he shops fortnightly.

'Would like to know why the new plastic trolleys are so much smaller than the old ones?' he asked.

'Do a large shop every fortnight and need to use two. Annoying that I have to fill one, then go back and fill another,’ he added.

‘Yep, save the planet by using recycled plastic—but hey, make them bigger with a dedicated front with a meat/frozen section.

‘Whoever thought these plastic ones [were] a good idea is probably single, no kids.’

It is understood that while there is a size difference between the existing steel trolleys and the new plastic carts, it is not noticeable.

Another said, 'Gotta roll my eyes at this. Plastic—these will become manky and gross in no time. Original ones being stainless steel were stainless steel for good reasons.'

‘Looking forward to using these trolleys. Would be great to still have a divider. I’ve always used the divider for my frozen and cold items…helps sort your chiller bags. Others use it for fruit, vegetables, or bread,’ another commented.

But not everyone has been so quick to judge, and they even voiced their excitement over the new carts.

'I love how light and manoeuvrable the new trolleys are. They are firm and sturdy but so easy to steer,' one said.

Another commented, ‘I eagerly await these being phased into my local—I think they’ll also give a good visual reminder on our plastic footprint while we shop.’

With the switch to plastic, the supermarket has claimed there has been some positive feedback for the new, greener trolleys.

‘We’re working hard to grow greener for our customers and the environment,’ a spokesperson for Woolworths said.

‘Our recycled trolleys have been very popular with customers and are currently available in select stores. We plan to continue rolling them out to new stores over the coming years,’ he added.

‘We also have trolley baskets that are made from 100 per cent recycled plastic and give used milk bottles a second life in our stores while also reducing the use of new materials to create trolleys.’

It is also understood that the new recycled trolleys are lighter than the stainless steel ones, and customers, particularly seniors, will have an easier time pushing and manoeuvring the carts.

In case the trolley breaks or needs replacement, they will be recycled back into shopping trolley baskets.

This is different from metal trolleys, as they are redistributed into the fleet and recycled if they’re ready to be retired.

Recently, Woolworths also announced its joint initiative with Healthylife—a pharmacy and wellbeing website—by rolling out its optional in-store trolley ‘divider’ for shoppers to sort their groceries into five labelled compartments: fruit, vegetables and legumes, grains, meat, and dairy. If you’re curious to read more details, you can find them here.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has expressed frustration over the supermarket's new environmentally-friendly green plastic shopping carts, which he claims are too small for his large fortnightly shop.
  • The new trolleys are made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), primarily from recycled milk bottles, and are being introduced to all new Woolworths stores.
  • Despite some customers' apprehensions about the plastic trolleys, others have praised their lightness and manoeuvrability.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson emphasised the environmental benefits of the new trolleys with positive feedback, particularly among older customers who found them easier to push and manoeuvre. The trolleys are recyclable into shopping baskets, unlike the metal ones.

What do you think of Woolworth’s new trolleys? Have you used them? Let us know in the comments below!
Sounds good to me. I am elderly and like the idea of the new trolleys being lighter and more manoeuvreable. Am wondering if they have child seats for small children - and wishing that supermarkets had a way to persuade parents to actually use the child seats, rather than letting the children sit or even stand in the actual trolley.

I thought they were great and a lot lighter. Just missing the hook to hang the bags. the hook on the green trolley a bit short

View attachment 34709

Key Takeaways

I had the chance to use the new green trolleys on Wednesday at Beecroft. What a difference, I use a wheelie walker and needed a trolley so gave it a go. Could manoeuvre the trolley with one hand by holding the side of it while still using the walker, something I couldn’t do with the old trolleys as even the smaller ones were too heavy. My shopping was a breeze. I’m 75 with back and hip issues and needed a trolley for everything I had to get. A huge thumbs up from me 👍👍

Being well and truly under 5ft I am happy they look as though they are right for me and are a similar size to the small trolleys although I am wondering where I put the bags.

Reactions: PattiB

View attachment 34709

Key Takeaways

My local Woolies store is introducing these. They aren't large enough so we have switched to Coles.

Not in my local WW yet. I'll wait and see.
Good for planet earth. Every bit counts.
I also like the idea that there will be a trolley that won't cause a dent when it makes a beeline for my car.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Sounds good to me. I am elderly and like the idea of the new trolleys being lighter and more manoeuvreable. Am wondering if they have child seats for small children - and wishing that supermarkets had a way to persuade parents to actually use the child seats, rather than letting the children sit or even stand in the actual trolley.
Could not agree more. What irritates me more are children who can walk sitting in the trollies. No wonder children grow up lazy.

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 34709

Key Takeaways

I prefer small trolleys, better height, easier to manage, but maybe I don't buy as much as other people.

View attachment 34709

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths spokesperson emphasised the environmental benefits of the new trolleys with positive feedback, particularly among older customers who found them easier to push and manoeuvre. The trolleys u are recyclable into shopping baskets, unlike the metal ones.

I've used the new trolleys and I think they are awesome, so easy to manoeuvre. I have mobility issues and used to have trouble steering the steel ones, the new plastic ones are light and easy to steer, great job woolies, I love them!

We have had these trolleys for a long time at my local WW. However, the trolleys in the picture are the small size & there is a larger one, the same as the old metal trolleys.
As for the person who wants a divider in the trolley - I have never seen such a thing, either in the old metal trolleys or in the newer plastic ones. The only form of divider is a place to sit a child & that is only in the large trolley, not the small one.
Coles ones have a divider

I hope they are not too light, Coles once tried plastic trolleys and they were too dangerous in wind, flying around the car park - would have been ok if people put them back in the trolley bays

View attachment 34709

Key Takeaways

OH GROW UP PEOPLE!!! These trolleys are much better than the OLD steel ones - 1st - if you have excess static electricity then you don't get ZAPPED anymore! 2nd - they are smoother to push - no more freight train boomp boomp boomps and less wonky wheels! 3rd - they are lighter and easier to steer. 4th - that darn kid seat doesn't fly open unwanted. the only downsides are they are a little smaller than the steel ones and they don't have a brake on them!

My local store has had these for over a year now and no one seems to miss the old steel ones.

We have 2 sizes of trolleys at my local WW. The one seen in this post is the small one & does not have a child seat. There is a larger one (about the same size as the old metal ones) & they do have a child seat.

View attachment 34709

Key Takeaways

The size is a psychological thing, it meant to make you think you have a lot in the cart or just as much when you use to use the bigger metal ones

Love the green trolleys. They come in the small and large size, same as the metal trolleys. The only drawback, I find, is there are no hooks to hang my bags off. I have to put the bags in the trolley which entails moving the bags around when putting in groceries but I can live with that.