‘Get a job!’ – Welfare recipient fires back at radio host after being criticised on air

It seems like every time we turn on the news or open the paper, the topic of Centrelink and welfare payments is a hot topic. The debate on whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right can cause emotions to run high.

With the cost-of-living prices skyrocketing, some individuals are finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet, especially without a stable and regular income.

Case in point: A recent radio row between an unemployed graphic designer and a breakfast radio host ignited discussion and caused quite a stir.

It all began when an unemployed Melbourne man named Jez Heywood (47) complained online about the $20 per week increase to JobSeeker and called it ‘insufficient’.

Mr Heywood is the President of the Australian Unemployed Workers Union.

2GB’s host Ben Fordham called Mr Heywood a ‘dole bludger’ and told him to ‘get a job’ on air.

radio1.jpg
The pair had a heated exchange live on air. Credit: Skylar Kang/Pexels

‘Jez says you have to weigh up every financial decision you make. Why don't you weigh up getting a job? Any job? Because we're here to tell you there are half a million of them available right now,’ he stated.

This sparked a heated response from Mr Heywood.

‘Hey, Ben Fordham, you f****ng gronk, don't just take a cowardly swipe from the comfort of your studio. Call me up, and let's have a chat. Have me on your show, you coward,’ Mr Heywood said in a post online.

The interview resulted in a major uproar among Mr Fordham’s listeners, with many calling in to accuse Mr Heywood of ‘making excuses’ not to work.

‘Just go out and flip burgers. Doing something is better than nothing,' one caller said.

radio2.jpg
Mr Heywood fired back at the radio host. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

‘I'm 71 years old. I’m just leaving for work now, so he can get an extra $40 a week from my taxes. I’ll call him a dole bludger,’ another replied.

The interviewee at the centre of the issue had been unemployed since 2017 and defended why he couldn't commit to full-time work, stating that limited job options–given his mental health issues–were seriously affecting his capacity to find stable employment.

Fellow radio host Ray Hadley chimed in and stated that Mr Heywood was a ‘dole bludger’ – something that Mr Heywood accused Mr Fordham of calling him.

‘Can I just point something out? You calling me a dole bludger on national radio,’ Mr Heywood said to Fordham during the heated exchange.

Mr Fordham replied that he didn’t.

‘You didn't? What did you call me?' Mr Heywood responded, to which Fordham told him he needed to 'get your facts straight'.

Mr Fordham fired back: ‘I never called you a dole bludger. I said: “Jez, why don't you get a job?”.’

Mr Heywood then said that while he was not explicitly called a dole bludger, it had been ‘inferred’. To which Mr Fordham laughed off the accusation and explained that he only wanted to help Mr Heywood find a job.

‘Do you? Because you're not saying very nice things about me on the radio,' was Mr Heywood’s reply.

‘It’s hard to find things that my brain can handle. The last job I applied for on Seek, I got an email back saying there were over 100 applicants, so there's a lot of people out there looking for jobs, and it's a really tough market,’ Mr Heywood admitted.

Mr Fordham then inquired whether his mental health issues were brought on by the fact that he was not working.

‘There are 54,000 jobs available in Melbourne. None of those 54,000 jobs are suitable for you? Or you're applying for them, but they're not giving you the nod?’ Mr Fordham questioned, to which Mr Heywood said he was applying for jobs that were suitable to him.

‘I can't consistently commit to something. My brain just gets so incredibly exhausted. The best thing that happened to me in the past three years was when the Morrison government doubled JobSeeker,’ Mr Heywood proclaimed.

Mr Heywood also said he did not have the physical capacity to do manual labour.

While some might argue that the response given to Mr Heywood is harsh, it is important to recognise that there is still a stigma attached to being unemployed and receiving Centrelink payments.

The complexity of each individual's circumstances must be taken into account, as the reasons for being unemployed vary wildly, and mental health issues can make finding suitable work extremely challenging.

When asked if he would take a part-time job in a pub, Mr Heywood said: ‘The problem with those kinds of situations is, I have a cousin who runs a supermarket and once I asked him if he'd employ me, and he said he wouldn't because I have a postgraduate degree in graphic design and 20 years of experience.’

‘He said he wouldn't see me as a full-time employee. He would see me as not a permanent employee. If he had a resume from me and a resume from someone who'd already worked in supermarkets, he'd take the supermarket person,’ he continued.

Mr Fordham then asked: ‘What would you say to anyone out there in the graphic design industry who's thinking “alright, I desperately need someone, and I'm happy to give Jez a go?”.’

Mr Heywood then called on employers to get in contact and stated he was willing to work part-time, eight hours a week.
Key Takeaways
  • An unemployed graphic designer, Jez Heywood, clashed with 2GB breakfast host Ben Fordham over unemployment benefits and job seeking.
  • Mr Heywood has been unemployed since 2017 and claims limited options due to mental health issues are the reason for his inability to find a job.
  • Mr Fordham's listeners criticised Mr Heywood for making excuses and not working, with one caller stating that people have to work hard every day to pay for those who do nothing.
  • Mr Heywood called on employers to contact him for part-time graphic design work, expressing his willingness to work eight hours a week.
We want to hear your thoughts – let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
G
It seems like every time we turn on the news or open the paper, the topic of Centrelink and welfare payments is a hot topic. The debate on whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right can cause emotions to run high.

With the cost-of-living prices skyrocketing, some individuals are finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet, especially without a stable and regular income.

Case in point: A recent radio row between an unemployed graphic designer and a breakfast radio host ignited discussion and caused quite a stir.

It all began when an unemployed Melbourne man named Jez Heywood (47) complained online about the $20 per week increase to JobSeeker and called it ‘insufficient’.

2GB’s host Ben Fordham called Mr Heywood a ‘dole bludger’ and told him to ‘get a job’ on air.

View attachment 20075

‘Jez says you have to weigh up every financial decision you make. Why don't you weigh up getting a job? Any job? Because we're here to tell you there are half a million of them available right now,’ he stated.

‘Hey, Ben Fordham, you f****ng gronk, don't just take a cowardly swipe from the comfort of your studio. Call me up, and let's have a chat. Have me on your show, you coward,’ Mr Heywood said in a post online.

The interview resulted in a major uproar among Mr Fordham’s listeners, with many calling in to accuse Mr Heywood of ‘making excuses’ not to work.

‘Just go out and flip burgers. Doing something is better than nothing,' one caller said.

View attachment 20076

‘I'm 71 years old. I’m just leaving for work now, so he can get an extra $40 a week from my taxes. I’ll call him a dole bludger,’ another replied.

The interviewee at the centre of the issue had been unemployed since 2017 and defended why he couldn't commit to full-time work, stating that limited job options–given his mental health issues–were seriously affecting his capacity to find stable employment.

Fellow radio host Ray Hadley chimed in and stated that Mr Heywood was a ‘dole bludger’ – something that Mr Heywood accused Mr Fordham of calling him.

‘Can I just point something out? You calling me a dole bludger on national radio,’ Mr Heywood said to Fordham during the heated exchange.

‘You didn't? What did you call me?' Mr Heywood responded, to which Fordham told him he needed to 'get your facts straight'.

Mr Fordham fired back: ‘I never called you a dole bludger. I said: “Jez, why don't you get a job?”.’

Mr Heywood then said that while he was not explicitly called a dole bludger, it had been ‘inferred’. To which Mr Fordham laughed off the accusation and explained that he only wanted to help Mr Heywood find a job.

‘Do you? Because you're not saying very nice things about me on the radio,' was Mr Heywood’s reply.

‘It’s hard to find things that my brain can handle. The last job I applied for on Seek, I got an email back saying there were over 100 applicants, so there's a lot of people out there looking for jobs, and it's a really tough market,’ Mr Heywood admitted.

Mr Fordham then inquired whether his mental health issues were brought on by the fact that he was not working.

‘There are 54,000 jobs available in Melbourne. None of those 54,000 jobs are suitable for you? Or you're applying for them, but they're not giving you the nod?’ Mr Fordham questioned, to which Mr Heywood said he was applying for jobs that were suitable to him.

‘I can't consistently commit to something. My brain just gets so incredibly exhausted. The best thing that happened to me in the past three years was when the Morrison government doubled JobSeeker,’ Mr Heywood proclaimed.

While some might argue that the response given to Mr Heywood is harsh, it is important to recognise that there is still a stigma attached to being unemployed and receiving Centrelink payments.

The complexity of each individual's circumstances must be taken into account, as the reasons for being unemployed vary wildly, and mental health issues can make finding suitable work extremely challenging.

When asked if he would take a part-time job in a pub, Mr Heywood said: ‘The problem with those kinds of situations is, I have a cousin who runs a supermarket and once I asked him if he'd employ me, and he said he wouldn't because I have a postgraduate degree in graphic design and 20 years of experience.’

‘He said he wouldn't see me as a full-time employee. He would see me as not a permanent employee. If he had a resume from me and a resume from someone who'd already worked in supermarkets, he'd take the supermarket person,’ he continued.

Mr Fordham then asked: ‘What would you say to anyone out there in the graphic design industry who's thinking “alright, I desperately need someone, and I'm happy to give Jez a go?”.’

Mr Heywood then called on employers to get in contact and stated he was willing to work part-time, eight hours a week.
Key Takeaways

• An unemployed graphic designer, Jez Heywood, clashed with 2GB breakfast host Ben Fordham over unemployment benefits and job seeking.
  • Mr Heywood has been unemployed since 2017 and claims limited options due to mental health issues are the reason for his inability to find a job.
  • Mr Fordham's listeners criticised Mr Heywood for making excuses and not working, with one caller stating that people have to work hard every day to pay for those who do nothing.
  • Mr Heywood called on employers to contact him for part-time graphic design work, expressing his willingness to work eight hours a week.

Re
You're wondering what the Unemployed Workers Union is? A simple Google search provided the answer you're seeking: https://www.auwu.org.au/

It is a registered charity and, given the amout of sh*t unemployed people are subjected to, I consider it to be a very important one! I see nothing wrong with unemployed Australians having an organisation to lobby on their behalf, after all, age pensioners also have an organisation promoting their issues. https://nationalseniors.com.au/. The difference is that people on the age pension are heard, but jobseekers are not - there is an absolute need to increase the JobSeeker payment to align it with other pensions. Of course this was ignored in the budget! Age pensioners complain about their pension, but try to live on $693 per fortnight with none of the additional payments and benefits that pensioners receive!

As for Centrelink withdrawing benefits, this happens every day. The whole jobseeker system that was put in place by that creep Howard back in 1997, stinks! Prior to that Australia had the CES (Commonwealth Employment Office) and whilst it was not perfect, it was a damn sight better than what replaced it! You only need to look at how many so-called Job Services Providers became very wealthy within a few years! In my mind it is wrong to profit out of someone else's hardship and to top it off, job services providers are threatening job seekers that have found a job without assistance, to blacklist them if the jobseeker does not give them the credit! Pure fraud!

For the record, I am 76 years old, I do not receive an age pension as I have planned for my retirement from the time I started work and have invested to fund my retirement while raising 4 kids mostly as a single mother.
Read the "statement" which doesn't say much to me. Can't see anything that supports them, just a statement telling the Federal Government what to do & a statement about January 2nd, 2023's Payment forms. Interesting to see this "Union" was only started late last year. What are those people who are represented by this 'union' doing to help themselves find employment???

How can a job service provider blacklist someone who has found a job without assistance from the agency? If a person has acquired a job, surely they no longer have a need for the provider? Obviously the agency wants the credit but in that situation they would remove the person from their records without due credit!!

I have a grandson who left high school last year & eventually, eventually l say, found a job. His parents raved about how he was learning a trade until he told his employer he was sick & told my daughter there was no work. Some months later the same work with a new employer & learning, the employer was happy & then, staying home again. He, it would appear, has no intentions of getting a job. WHY SHOULD PEOPLE LIKE HIM RECEIVE MORE BENEFITS OR EVEN ANY BENEFITS AT ALL????

I worked for a single lady for some years as a gardener who was a self funded retiree. I will not state here how she saved money. If you can afford to do this, well & good.

I believe, as do friends & acquaintances that self funded retirement is a future requirement & only certain groups will receive any pension. The Federal Govt has already raised the retirement age, as you will be aware, & will slowly increase it. Isn't this a sign of tougher times to come??

Last edited:
Firstly, this gumdrop has bought all this upon himself when he challenged Ben Fordham to ring him on air. So all the backlash he is getting is of his own doing. Eight hours a week, really. When you apply for a job, your application and resume should suit the requirements of the job. If you are applying for a supermarket position, it can be although I have no experience I am a willing worker and a fast learner. Not I am so overqualified you can sign off and say I did apply for a position. You did this job for 20 years, where's your rep. That bad hey?
There are a lot of Baristas out there with BAs and we know what is paying more. When I went out to work when there was not enough money coming in I did everything I could, I gutted chickens, cleaned houses, waitressed, and manned a local store for a couple of hours. No position was below me.
When my ex-husband decided to entertain young girls and not pay the mortgage, the bank actually rang me and said even though I had left the family home and two little children, I was still responsible for the mortgage, my silence at the other end of the phone indicated to the bank this was a lie.
If there are more vacancies than unemployed bodies, I say it is high time the government wake up to itself and start rolling back on these people.

Reactions: Ezzy
Firstly, this gumdrop has bought all this upon himself when he challenged Ben Fordham to ring him on air. So all the backlash he is getting is of his own doing. Eight hours a week, really. When you apply for a job, your application and resume should suit the requirements of the job. If you are applying for a supermarket position, it can be although I have no experience I am a willing worker and a fast learner. Not I am so overqualified you can sign off and say I did apply for a position. You did this job for 20 years, where's your rep. That bad hey?
There are a lot of Baristas out there with BAs and we know what is paying more. When I went out to work when there was not enough money coming in I did everything I could, I gutted chickens, cleaned houses, waitressed, and manned a local store for a couple of hours. No position was below me.
When my ex-husband decided to entertain young girls and not pay the mortgage, the bank actually rang me and said even though I had left the family home and two little children, I was still responsible for the mortgage, my silence at the other end of the phone indicated to the bank this was a lie.
If there are more vacancies than unemployed bodies, I say it is high time the government wake up to itself and start rolling back on these people.
Sad you had to live as you did but a credit to you doing everything within your possibilities just to survive.

Baristas with a BA is an excellent example of desperate times but too of how some people are prepared to swallow their pride to stay off the role & take whatever work is available.

I fully support your final statement. Too bad our ass of a Government doesn't stop worrying about losing votes & do that which is right for Australia & the majority of the population. This may just take the nation from 'The Red" in real terms & put us in "The Black" for years to come.

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

this has to be a joke. I like Ben and I like his downright approach and this Idiot needed it. He is hanging tight on mental illness and this is where I part ways from JEZ. That is a crutch in my book. 8 hours of what, he is a bludger and a designer one at that.

There are plenty of jobs out there, you may not like the jobs that are there but it is WORK, you do earn $$$$. While I was married, with 3 kids, I did grape picking, pruning and. tying down, (rain hail or shine). 23 yrs doing Aged Care, worked in a delicatessen, strawberry picking, and some other menial work. Work is work. I know many people who are quite capable of working, they just DON"T WANT TO. Please don't tell me "I can't find work", too old, Over qualified. Get off your butts, get a job, and earn your money, don't sit with your hand out.
I am with you. I feel that many of the "dole bludgers" of today have been brought up in that form of society where parents have relied on hand outs. It has been ongoing for so long that today many of the "Mr Heywards" are trying the same tatics. I know there are many who are genuine. I actually applied to Bunnings some years ago and got an interview. During the team activity of making a gift for Fathers Day I was paired up with 2 young lads and a 40yo man. I was in my sixties, but the man sat there and said "I am not doing that menial crap I haven't come here for this (under his breath), it was part of the interview to see if you would make a good team member. Unfortunately I missed out on a job.

I am with you. I feel that many of the "dole bludgers" of today have been brought up in that form of society where parents have relied on hand outs. It has been ongoing for so long that today many of the "Mr Heywards" are trying the same tatics. I know there are many who are genuine. I actually applied to Bunnings some years ago and got an interview. During the team activity of making a gift for Fathers Day I was paired up with 2 young lads and a 40yo man. I was in my sixties, but the man sat there and said "I am not doing that menial crap I haven't come here for this (under his breath), it was part of the interview to see if you would make a good team member. Unfortunately I missed out on a job.
You were deserving of this job, sorry to hear you missed out. I hope that fella didn't qualify. These types of jobs appeal to me.

My 2nd eldest daughter & my son-in-law both work but their son is one of those bludgers. It is now at the point where his father has told him he will no longer pay his credit card payments for him, thereby trying to force him out to work. Guess what? It hasn't had the effect intended. Does the saying 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink' apply here? Perhaps he expects his girl friend to support him, though he still lives at home.