‘Endless delays and broken promises’: Aussies struggle after sudden collapse of major builder

The Australian dream of owning a home has turned into a nightmare for several families following the unexpected collapse of a major building company.

The recent downfall of Varaich Homes, also known as Harcon Property Group, has left many customers in despair, facing financial ruin and the distressing reality of unfinished homes.

The collapse of Grandeur Homes in Victoria, which has affected up to 110 projects, is just one example of the instability currently plaguing the Australian construction industry.

The situation has become all too familiar, with Varaich Homes being the latest in a string of construction companies to go under, leaving behind a trail of half-built dreams and financial chaos.

shutterstock_2478478433.jpg
Multiple Aussies were in limbo as a major building company collapsed. Credit: Shutterstock

Customers like Harpreet Singh have shared harrowing tales of their properties being vandalised, with disturbing finds such as used condoms and urine in their unfinished homes.

The emotional and financial toll on these families is immense, with many like Singh, who signed up for a $457,000 build, now facing the prospect of taking out personal loans to complete their homes.

‘The fence surrounding it has been taken off, and people were going in and having beers, using the toilet, I found a used condom on the master bedroom floor, and there are a few other damages,’ Singh said.

The construction industry has been hit hard by a perfect storm of rising costs, with the flooding in New South Wales and Queensland and the Russia/Ukraine conflict pushing up the prices of materials and labour.

Builders like Varaich Homes have passed these costs onto their clients, with some, like Singh, being asked for an additional $45,000 to continue their projects—money that many simply do not have.

The impact is widespread, with customers like Vijay Bhusal and Mallikharjuna Allanki also sharing their stories of frustration and financial burden.

Bhusal, who was building his first home, has lost over $100,000 in holding interest and fees, while Allanki has faced significant delays and breaches of contract terms.

‘We signed contracts in August 2021, filled with excitement and anticipation. However, instead of joy, we have been met with endless delays…and broken promises,’ Bhusal said.

‘The company repeatedly missed deadlines, starting construction six months later than agreed upon and failing to complete our homes even after the promised time frame. Our houses remain unfinished, a constant reminder of our shattered dreams.’

The situation is not only a financial disaster but also a mental health crisis, with customers like Tony Varghese seeking professional help to cope with the stress.

‘It’s shocking to see that this has become a common occurrence in the building industry over the past few years. The government cannot remain a bystander in this situation, allowing people’s hard-earned money to be (taken) and leaving them trapped in financial despair through no fault of their own,’ he said.

The government's role in protecting consumers in these situations is being called into question, as people like Varghese find themselves potentially locked into a lifetime of mortgage payments without a finished home.

Malcolm Howell from Jirsch Sutherland has been appointed administrator of Varaich Homes.

‘The team will be writing to creditors shortly and will advise the homeowners on options available,’ she said.

‘As the insurance has now been cancelled by the VMIA (Victorian Managed Insurance Authority), the company is unable to continue with the construction of the homes. One of the options available is to sell the contracts as a whole to an alternative builder.’
Key Takeaways

• Multiple customers have been affected by the collapse of Melbourne-based building company Varaich Homes, with up to 110 projects left in limbo.
  • Homeowners are facing significant stress and financial burdens, with reports of vandalism to their partially completed homes, including cases involving used condoms and other forms of damage.
  • Customers have reported a lack of communication and broken promises from Varaich Homes, with construction delays causing emotional and financial strain.
  • The collapse of the builder has raised concerns about the broader issues in the building industry, with calls for government intervention to protect consumers' investments.
Have you or someone you know has been affected by the collapse of a building company? Share your story with us in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
Sponsored
Yip. And they will probably rise from the ashes like a phoenix having avoided paying their debts and leaving misery in their wake.

They were probably illegally trading insolvent anyway.

Reactions: Hollingworthlake
I thought there were insurance, rules, and protection regarding builders.
Surely you cannot be held liable for when the builder goes under, and you then having to pay extra above contract price to make the house habital
The builder must have insurance against this, or is it up to the client to check up on the builders insurance polices ??
Something smells rotten here.🦨🦨

Reactions: Hollingworthlake
No I haven’t been affected but recently a builder here in WA was taken to some sort of arbitration that would have allowed clients of his who were affected able to finish the job some way. The get intervened and turned over that decision and these people are left helpless still waiting for their homes to be finished whilst they are paying rent!!!

No I haven’t been affected but recently a builder here in WA was taken to some sort of arbitration that would have allowed clients of his who were affected able to finish the job some way. The get intervened and turned over that decision and these people are left helpless still waiting for their homes to be finished whilst they are paying rent!!!

Absolutely & no wonder why houses coming onto the market are getting dearer by the day to buy. At least, they are already constructed.

Reactions: IAN3005
Absolutely & no wonder why houses coming onto the market are getting dearer by the day to buy. At least, they are already constructed.
Yeah... but grossly sub-standard. Don't even comply with building standards...

Yes, "IAN3005", I partially agree on your thoughts. My cousin is still living in his parents 1920's red brick house in Russell Lea/Five Dock, Sydney. That house, now, getting on towards being in his family for well over 80 years. It's prob only worth about $2 million plus. I don't know about sub standard. It's built as strong as the proverbial "Country Brick Shit House" & as sturdy as a rock. People are knocking on his door asking him if he wants to sell. He's like the "Rock" as he has no intention of moving or selling.

There again, as we know, built houses in select areas of Sydney are selling $10-$50 million plus. So I don't think that they are too shabbily built either.

'Project' houses may well be a different kettle of fish.

Reactions: IAN3005
Yes, "IAN3005", I partially agree on your thoughts. My cousin is still living in his parents 1920's red brick house in Russell Lea/Five Dock, Sydney. That house, now, getting on towards being in his family for well over 80 years. It's prob only worth about $2 million plus. I don't know about sub standard. It's built as strong as the proverbial "Country Brick Shit House" & as sturdy as a rock. People are knocking on his door asking him if he wants to sell. He's like the "Rock" as he has no intention of moving or selling.

There again, as we know, built houses in select areas of Sydney are selling $10-$50 million plus. So I don't think that they are too shabbily built either.

'Project' houses may well be a different kettle of fish.
Nothing beats the old houses.... they are a different kettle of fish.