‘Earth-shattering’ lung cancer pill reduces death risk in half!

Lung cancer is still the leading cause of death from cancer worldwide, and the fifth most common cancer diagnosed in Australia. One in five people are diagnosed with the disease in their lifetime in the country.

But for those facing a lung cancer diagnosis, the outlook today is far more hopeful than even a decade ago, thanks to exciting new developments in targeted therapies.

New data published in the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that osimertinib, a drug sold under the brand name Tagrisso, was proven to be highly effective in certain groups of lung cancer patients.

Tagrisso is a prescription medicine used for patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with certain abnormal epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR) genes. EGFR is a protein in cells that helps tumours to grow.

Tagrisso targets tumours that are driven by a genetic mutation that triggers the release of EGFR.

national-cancer-institute-NNpo-liY5aU-unsplash.jpg
Researchers discovered the effectiveness of osimertinib in treating lung cancer patients. Credit: Unsplash

Tagrisso also cuts the risk of the disease returning by more than 70 per cent and can reduce the likelihood of dying within five years of treatment by half.

The drug is available to patients with the EGFR genetic mutation at any stage of the disease, including those who have already undergone treatment such as surgery.

According to Dr Faiz Bhora, Chief of Thoracic Surgery and Central Region Chair of Surgery at Hackensack Meridian Health in New Jersey, the drug’s trial results were ‘earth-shattering’.

‘In the past, medical oncologists were happy with five per cent or 10 per cent survival—and now we're talking about in excess of 50 per cent improvement in survival,’ he said.

Dr Bhora has been prescribing Tagrisso to his patients and has seen ‘groundbreaking’ results in his practice.

‘We now have a lot of targeted therapies that work well for patients who have mutations in their tumours,' he said.

‘We used to think of lung cancer as just a smoker's illness. Now, we know that over 30 per cent of individuals who develop lung cancer have never smoked, and a lot of them are women,’ he added.

However, eligibility for this drug is for EGFR patients at any stage of the disease who have undergone prior treatment like surgery. Tagrisso can be taken as long as it is effective.

In the US, Tagrisso is covered by 95 per cent of insurance plans, including Commercial, Medicare and Medicaid.

In Australia, Tagrisso has also been included in the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme.

One patient who has benefited from the treatment is 67-year-old Kim Mosko from New Jersey.

After undergoing surgery in February 2023 to remove a lung tumour, Kim began four rounds of chemotherapy which finished at the end of June.

In July, her doctors found the genetic mutation and suggested Kim take Tagrisso.

Kim said she needed ‘no persuasion at all’ to start the treatment, which was covered by her insurance.

She had some ‘manageable’ side effects from taking Tagrisso, such as skin rash, diarrhea, and fatigue.

Despite these, Kim has been taking the pill for three and a half months, and she is hopeful that she can take it daily for the next three years.

‘I don’t need to have hope. I absolutely believe that this medication is going to make sure the lung cancer will not return. I am planning on living for many more years,' she said.

Key Takeaways
  • A new lung cancer pill called osimertinib, sold as Tagrisso, has been said to reduce the risk of the disease returning by 70 per cent and decrease the chances of death within five years of treatment by half.
  • The drug is approved for patients with a genetic type of lung tumour brought on by a mutation that releases EGFR protein, which aids tumour growth.
  • Doctors have applauded the 'groundbreaking' results of the drug, hailing the improvement in survival rates.
  • Lung cancer patients have the EGFR mutation and are eligible for treatment with osimertinib, which can be used as long as it remains effective.
Members, consult with your GP as well if you are allowed to take such medications.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Lung cancer is still the leading cause of death from cancer worldwide, and the fifth most common cancer diagnosed in Australia. One in five people are diagnosed with the disease in their lifetime in the country.

But for those facing a lung cancer diagnosis, the outlook today is far more hopeful than even a decade ago, thanks to exciting new developments in targeted therapies.

New data published in the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that osimertinib, a drug sold under the brand name Tagrisso, was proven to be highly effective in certain groups of lung cancer patients.

Tagrisso is a prescription medicine used for patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with certain abnormal epidermal growth factor receptors (EGFR) genes. EGFR is a protein in cells that helps tumours to grow.

Tagrisso targets tumours that are driven by a genetic mutation that triggers the release of EGFR.

View attachment 34711
Researchers discovered the effectiveness of osimertinib in treating lung cancer patients. Credit: Unsplash

Tagrisso also cuts the risk of the disease returning by more than 70 per cent and can reduce the likelihood of dying within five years of treatment by half.

The drug is available to patients with the EGFR genetic mutation at any stage of the disease, including those who have already undergone treatment such as surgery.

According to Dr Faiz Bhora, Chief of Thoracic Surgery and Central Region Chair of Surgery at Hackensack Meridian Health in New Jersey, the drug’s trial results were ‘earth-shattering’.

‘In the past, medical oncologists were happy with five per cent or 10 per cent survival—and now we're talking about in excess of 50 per cent improvement in survival,’ he said.

Dr Bhora has been prescribing Tagrisso to his patients and has seen ‘groundbreaking’ results in his practice.

‘We now have a lot of targeted therapies that work well for patients who have mutations in their tumours,' he said.

‘We used to think of lung cancer as just a smoker's illness. Now, we know that over 30 per cent of individuals who develop lung cancer have never smoked, and a lot of them are women,’ he added.

However, eligibility for this drug is for EGFR patients at any stage of the disease who have undergone prior treatment like surgery. Tagrisso can be taken as long as it is effective.

In the US, Tagrisso is covered by 95 per cent of insurance plans, including Commercial, Medicare and Medicaid.

In Australia, Tagrisso has also been included in the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme.

One patient who has benefited from the treatment is 67-year-old Kim Mosko from New Jersey.

After undergoing surgery in February 2023 to remove a lung tumour, Kim began four rounds of chemotherapy which finished at the end of June.

In July, her doctors found the genetic mutation and suggested Kim take Tagrisso.

Kim said she needed ‘no persuasion at all’ to start the treatment, which was covered by her insurance.

She had some ‘manageable’ side effects from taking Tagrisso, such as skin rash, diarrhea, and fatigue.

Despite these, Kim has been taking the pill for three and a half months, and she is hopeful that she can take it daily for the next three years.

‘I don’t need to have hope. I absolutely believe that this medication is going to make sure the lung cancer will not return. I am planning on living for many more years,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• A new lung cancer pill called osimertinib, sold as Tagrisso, has been said to reduce the risk of the disease returning by 70 per cent and decrease the chances of death within five years of treatment by half.
  • The drug is approved for patients with a genetic type of lung tumour brought on by a mutation that releases EGFR protein, which aids tumour growth.
  • Doctors have applauded the 'groundbreaking' results of the drug, hailing the improvement in survival rates.
  • Lung cancer patients have the EGFR mutation and are eligible for treatment with osimertinib, which can be used as long as it remains effective.
Members, consult with your GP as well if you are allowed to take such medications.

I love statements like this. When heaven or hell wants you you have no say in it. After 4 cancers and up the white light twice and I'm still here, I don't argue. Now, on the news (6.10am) "you shouldn't wear your pyjamas more than 3 sleeps in a row" . At the moment I wonder how I take my skin off LOL
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE

I am using Tagrisso .. however my diagnosis is Pancreatic Cancer with secondary tumours in the lungs. Following genetic testing I was identified as having the

View attachment 34711

Key Takeaways

I am using Tagrisso .. however my diagnosis is Pancreatic Cancer with secondary tumours in the lungs.
Following genetic testing I was diagnosed with the EGFR gene and prescribed Tagisso as a last resort after chemotherapy was no longer effective.
The issue is as I d o NOT have lung cancer I have to pay non-PBS price which is $2000 for a 30 day supply as this drug is restricted to lung cancer

Pancreatin Cancer statistics
  • Projected to be the 4th biggest cancer killer in Australia in 2023
  • Australian five-year survival rate is 12.5%
  • Only 3 out of 10 people (36.4%) will survive one year after diagnosis

I am using Tagrisso .. however my diagnosis is Pancreatic Cancer with secondary tumours in the lungs. Following genetic testing I was identified as having the
I've had bone, cervix, sun and bowel. Please don't lose your smile or sense of humour. Good luck. How on earth do they justify these prices? Greedy bastards.

I love statements like this. When heaven or hell wants you you have no say in it. After 4 cancers and up the white light twice and I'm still here, I don't argue. Now, on the news (6.10am) "you shouldn't wear your pyjamas more than 3 sleeps in a row" . At the moment I wonder how I take my skin off LOL
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE
Good Morning Gamiry 🌄

I am using Tagrisso .. however my diagnosis is Pancreatic Cancer with secondary tumours in the lungs.
Following genetic testing I was diagnosed with the EGFR gene and prescribed Tagisso as a last resort after chemotherapy was no longer effective.
The issue is as I d o NOT have lung cancer I have to pay non-PBS price which is $2000 for a 30 day supply as this drug is restricted to lung cancer

Pancreatin Cancer statistics
  • Projected to be the 4th biggest cancer killer in Australia in 2023
  • Australian five-year survival rate is 12.5%
  • Only 3 out of 10 people (36.4%) will survive one year after diagnosis
Just keep fighting and take one day at a time. 🙏

I've had bone, cervix, sun and bowel. Please don't lose your smile or sense of humour. Good luck. How on earth do they justify these prices? Greedy bastards.
While there’s life there’s hope never give up ,there is always something new on the horizon , I survived stage 3 aggressive breast cancer 11 years ago , and know it could come back at any stage, just take one day at a time ,life is too precious, and the greedy drug companies need to be made accountable.

View attachment 34711

Key Takeaways

I have been on this drug now for 2 years. This is my second go around with lung cancer. It is a lot easier than operations, chemo and radiation. The diarrhoea is the annoying side effect you just have to find a way around it. Happy New Year

I have been on this drug now for 2 years. This is my second go around with lung cancer. It is a lot easier than operations, chemo and radiation. The diarrhoea is the annoying side effect you just have to find a way around it. Happy New Year
are you on Methformin? If so GET RID OF IT. I had 10 years of diahorrea until I found 3 people who were allergic to it. . I'm allergic to almost every drug known to man so it didn't surprise me. This drug was mixed in with something else but it was the one doing the damage.

Reactions: Leenie and Ezzy
While there’s life there’s hope never give up ,there is always something new on the horizon , I survived stage 3 aggressive breast cancer 11 years ago , and know it could come back at any stage, just take one day at a time ,life is too precious, and the greedy drug companies need to be made accountable.
I'm really glad to see cancer survivor stories like this; it tears me up, and it hits close to my heart. 🥹 My mother was also diagnosed with Stage 2B (it's like Stage 3) breast cancer 16 years ago. She has been cancer-free after a few sessions of chemotherapy and radiotherapy 😊 my father, unfortunately, lost his battle against Stage 4 throat cancer recently.

I agree to enjoy life one day at a time because it is short and precious! Hope you have a greaaaat day! 😃

I'm really glad to see cancer survivor stories like this; it makes me tear up, and it hits close to my heart. 🥹 My mother was also diagnosed with Stage 2B (it's like Stage 3) breast cancer 16 years ago. She has been cancer-free after a few sessions of chemotherapy and radiotherapy 😊 my father, unfortunately, lost his battle against Stage 4 throat cancer recently.

I agree to enjoy life one day at a time because it is short and precious! Hope you have a greaaaat day! 😃
So sorry.💐

I'm really glad to see cancer survivor stories like this; it tears me up, and it hits close to my heart. 🥹 My mother was also diagnosed with Stage 2B (it's like Stage 3) breast cancer 16 years ago. She has been cancer-free after a few sessions of chemotherapy and radiotherapy 😊 my father, unfortunately, lost his battle against Stage 4 throat cancer recently.

I'm so lucky...no chemo and no radio but must have had brilliant surgeons. Never had breast cancer....maybe mine not big enough to grow in. LOL

Thankyou Seia & Jarrod together with other members who have commented here. You are all an inspiration to any person with this debilitating disease.

Having a medication which can make life easier in these situations is a God send. If it had been around several years ago family & friends may still be with us today, but then again the time may not have been right. 'There is a time for everything.......'

We now need 'The powers that be', Politicians etc to make this product available to all cancer sufferers as a PBS ITEM. How can they be denied, what price do you put on a life?

Reactions: Leenie