‘Delete it immediately’: Aussies advised to watch out for this sneaky DHL scam email

There’s nothing quite like the thrill of getting something delivered to your door. The only problem is that there are plenty of scammers out there looking to exploit that excitement.

A new email scam sweeping Australia is targeting those who are waiting for a parcel to arrive. It pretends to be one of the biggest shippers, claiming that the recipient has a package that could not be delivered to their home.

Email security firm MailGuard released a statement asking everyone to be wary of this type of message and explained that it is a new scam that impersonates the large shipping company DHL.

MailGuard also announced that it is now blocking the phishing scam.

scam1.jpg
MailGuard is warning everyone to stay vigilant against the new DHL phishing scam. Credit: Kindel Media/Pexels

According to MailGuard, the scammers will send an email that has ‘DHL Shipping Documents’ in the subject line.

In an example provided by the security firm, the sender’s name appears as ‘DHL express’:

scam2.jpg
This is a sample email provided by MailGuard. Credit: MailGuard

However, the email is actually coming from a person named maria(at)lanoventa(dot)com – meaning that this is from a compromised account.

At the top of the message, you can also see that there are attached files to the email. It also prompts the user to choose whether to ‘view’ the attachment or to ‘download’ the attachment. You can also see that the fraudster has recreated the DHL logo.

Below this, the scammer warns the recipient that their packages cannot be delivered due to an incorrect address. The cybercriminals have also included a number of fake details, such as a scheduled delivery date, a tracking number, and a service option to add a touch of legitimacy to their email.

‘If the recipient clicks either link to access the attachment, they’re directed to a phishing site that has been designed to look like a Microsoft SharePoint page,’ MailGuard explained.

scam3.jpg
The pop-up message will ask for your email address and password. Credit: MailGuard

In the pop-up page, the user will then be asked to enter their email address and password to access the encrypted documents.

Behind the pop-up message, you’ll see a list of PDFs that appear as legitimate documents intended for the recipient.

Once the recipient enters their password, an error message that says ‘Network error, kindly try again’ (like the one below this) will appear.

However, the scammers will have your password already at this point and store it for later use.

scam4.jpg
Be wary of these types of emails. Credit: MailGuard

Unlike most phishing scams, this one doesn’t ask for your bank details or credit card details. According to MailGuard, scammers are always looking to steal Microsoft credentials because they serve as a ‘gateway’ to a business’s sensitive data and systems.

‘Providing your personal details can result in your sensitive information being used for criminal activity and may have a severe negative impact on your business and its financial well-being,’ the email security firm said.

MailGuard has also intercepted and blocked emails that appear as quarantined email alerts, password expiry alerts, and other delivery email alerts.

MailGuard intercepted a scam that targets Australia Post customers and warned everyone that cybercriminals are posing as the delivery giant’s customer service team and claiming that customers’ packages are ‘on hold’.

In the warning they published, MailGuard urged people to ‘delete the email immediately’ if they find it in their inbox. The email security firm also reported an example of a phishing email and shared tips on how to spot the scam. You can read more details here.

DHL also released a warning to its customers, saying, ‘Attempts have been made to defraud Internet shoppers by the unauthorised use of the DHL name and brand via email communications and graphics which appear, on the surface, to have originated from DHL.’

DHL Fraud Awareness Guidelines.jpg
Remember these tips from DHL. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

They continued: ‘If you are in any doubt as to the integrity of a website that uses the DHL brand, please always access DHL websites via our global website.’

To protect yourself, MailGuard suggested avoiding clicking on links or opening attachments within emails that:
  • Are not addressed to you by name;    
  • Appear to be from a legitimate company but use poor  English or omit personal details that a legitimate sender would include;   
  • Are from businesses that you were not expecting to hear from;
  • Take you to a landing page or website that is not the legitimate URL of the company the email is purporting to be sent from. 
Although most of us on the SDC may think we’re savvy enough to spot a hoax, the reality is that scammers are getting increasingly sophisticated with their tactics. We don’t want any of our members to fall victim to these malicious scams, so please stay alert and never provide your personal or financial information. If you spot a scam, remember to report it to the authorities immediately.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned of a new DHL email scam that steals passwords and sensitive information.
  • The email claims to be from DHL Express but is coming from a compromised account, using the subject line 'DHL Shipping Documents.'
  • If the attachment links are clicked, users are directed to a phishing site designed to look like a Microsoft SharePoint page and asked to enter their email address and password.
Members, if you have any tips to share about email scams and how to stay safe online, then please let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Please tell me that by now everyone is aware of these scams.
No legitimate delivery service emails you stating they couldn't deliver.

Australia post will email saying on board for delivery if you have downloaded the app . But will not email saying it couldn't be delivered or that you need to pay additional money .
And courier companies definitely won't email you.

There’s nothing quite like the thrill of getting something delivered to your door. The only problem is that there are plenty of scammers out there looking to exploit that excitement.

A new email scam sweeping Australia is targeting those who are waiting for a parcel to arrive. It pretends to be one of the biggest shippers, claiming that the recipient has a package that could not be delivered to their home.

Email security firm MailGuard released a statement asking everyone to be wary of this type of message and explained that it is a new scam that impersonates the large shipping company DHL.

MailGuard also announced that it is now blocking the phishing scam.

View attachment 18870
MailGuard is warning everyone to stay vigilant against the new DHL phishing scam. Credit: Kindel Media/Pexels

According to MailGuard, the scammers will send an email that has ‘DHL Shipping Documents’ in the subject line.

In an example provided by the security firm, the sender’s name appears as ‘DHL express’:

View attachment 18871
This is a sample email provided by MailGuard. Credit: MailGuard

However, the email is actually coming from a person named maria(at)lanoventa(dot)com – meaning that this is from a compromised account.

At the top of the message, you can also see that there are attached files to the email. It also prompts the user to choose whether to ‘view’ the attachment or to ‘download’ the attachment. You can also see that the fraudster has recreated the DHL logo.

Below this, the scammer warns the recipient that their packages cannot be delivered due to an incorrect address. The cybercriminals have also included a number of fake details, such as a scheduled delivery date, a tracking number, and a service option to add a touch of legitimacy to their email.

‘If the recipient clicks either link to access the attachment, they’re directed to a phishing site that has been designed to look like a Microsoft SharePoint page,’ MailGuard explained.

View attachment 18872
The pop-up message will ask for your email address and password. Credit: MailGuard

In the pop-up page, the user will then be asked to enter their email address and password to access the encrypted documents.

Behind the pop-up message, you’ll see a list of PDFs that appear as legitimate documents intended for the recipient.

Once the recipient enters their password, an error message that says ‘Network error, kindly try again’ (like the one below this) will appear.

However, the scammers will have your password already at this point and store it for later use.

View attachment 18873
Be wary of these types of emails. Credit: MailGuard

Unlike most phishing scams, this one doesn’t ask for your bank details or credit card details. According to MailGuard, scammers are always looking to steal Microsoft credentials because they serve as a ‘gateway’ to a business’s sensitive data and systems.

‘Providing your personal details can result in your sensitive information being used for criminal activity and may have a severe negative impact on your business and its financial well-being,’ the email security firm said.

MailGuard has also intercepted and blocked emails that appear as quarantined email alerts, password expiry alerts, and other delivery email alerts.

MailGuard intercepted a scam that targets Australia Post customers and warned everyone that cybercriminals are posing as the delivery giant’s customer service team and claiming that customers’ packages are ‘on hold’.

In the warning they published, MailGuard urged people to ‘delete the email immediately’ if they find it in their inbox. The email security firm also reported an example of a phishing email and shared tips on how to spot the scam. You can read more details here.

DHL also released a warning to its customers, saying, ‘Attempts have been made to defraud Internet shoppers by the unauthorised use of the DHL name and brand via email communications and graphics which appear, on the surface, to have originated from DHL.’

View attachment 18887
Remember these tips from DHL. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

They continued: ‘If you are in any doubt as to the integrity of a website that uses the DHL brand, please always access DHL websites via our global website.’

To protect yourself, MailGuard suggested avoiding clicking on links or opening attachments within emails that:
  • Are not addressed to you by name;    
  • Appear to be from a legitimate company but use poor  English or omit personal details that a legitimate sender would include;   
  • Are from businesses that you were not expecting to hear from;
  • Take you to a landing page or website that is not the legitimate URL of the company the email is purporting to be sent from. 
Although most of us on the SDC may think we’re savvy enough to spot a hoax, the reality is that scammers are getting increasingly sophisticated with their tactics. We don’t want any of our members to fall victim to these malicious scams, so please stay alert and never provide your personal or financial information. If you spot a scam, remember to report it to the authorities immediately.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned of a new DHL email scam that steals passwords and sensitive information.
  • The email claims to be from DHL Express but is coming from a compromised account, using the subject line 'DHL Shipping Documents.'
  • If the attachment links are clicked, users are directed to a phishing site designed to look like a Microsoft SharePoint page and asked to enter their email address and password.
Members, if you have any tips to share about email scams and how to stay safe online, then please let us know in the comments below!
Be careful. I recieved an email claiming to be from Aust Post stating a parcel is being held at a post office waiting to be 'redirected' . Just need to pay an extra 'delivery' cost'
Unfortunately, there is no scam alert address within Aust Post services to forward these scam emails to, or anywhere to report them at all.
The only advice I got was to notify Australian government scam watch. 😒

Screenshot_20230503_101939_BlueMail.jpg
Image Credit: Member @Bluejezz

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell me that by now everyone is aware of these scams.
No legitimate delivery service emails you stating they couldn't deliver.

Australia post will email saying on board for delivery if you have downloaded the app . But will not email saying it couldn't be delivered or that you need to pay additional money .
And courier companies definitely won't email you.
I get both emails and SMSs from couriers and Australia Post telling me that parcels are on their way and when they are expected to arrive.

Just got this, this morning.
I do not bank with commonwealth bank
Is this another scam starting up?

View attachment 18948
BEWARE YOU ALL.

Be careful. I recieved an email claiming to be from Aust Post stating a parcel is being held at a post office waiting to be 'redirected' . Just need to pay an extra 'delivery' cost'
Unfortunately, there is no scam alert address within Aust Post services to forward these scam emails to, or anywhere to report them at all.

View attachment 18950
Image Credit: Member @Bluejezz

Thank you so much for sharing!

Reactions: Ezzy and robbie's
I've had that one. One every day for the last 3 days.

For the last 18 months I've been getting emails from iinet to say they are cutting me off soon as I haven't paid (I don't have an iinet account). It's now become a family joke every time one comes in, my husband says "isn't it about time you paid that bill" and we have a laugh about it.

More rubbish about parcel deliveries. A card will always be left in your letterbox if you are not home by the delivery company to collect parcel from post office. When I have collected parcels not once has any Australia post employee asked me for my email, let alone bank details.

Reactions: robbie's