‘Degrading and stressful’: Patient's two-hour hospital ordeal reveals healthcare system flaw

Adelaide is a city known for its liveability and strong community spirit.

But even the best cities aren't immune to the pressures that can weigh on a health system.

In an especially concerning instance that hit close to home for many of our readers, Michelle Hatt, a 52-year-old Adelaide local, experienced a harrowing ordeal that underscores the growing stress on our emergency medical services.

On 6 January, after becoming tired and losing consciousness, followed by the frightening loss of sensation in her arm, Hatt’s instincts likely told her that every second could mean the difference between life and death.

Paramedics, focusing on her symptoms, suspected a seizure.

shutterstock_2138485311.jpg
Michelle Hatt was sent to the hospital after losing consciousness. Credit: Shutterstock

Yet, on arrival at Lyell McEwin Hospital, Hatt found herself in a predicament.

She waited in the emergency department for two and a half gruelling hours as over 40 others queued for emergency assistance.

After her admission, Hatt reportedly saw a single nurse in eight hours.

Doctors later confirmed through magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) that Hatt suffered a stroke.

Hatt said the wait to see a medical staff was ‘degrading’ and stressful.

‘My feelings were I didn’t want to become disabled or lose my children because I passed (died) from not being diagnosed properly,’ she said.

‘You worry you’re going to leave your children behind, all because nobody is listening.’

‘You don’t get heard when you’re there. You’re just a number because there’s no staff.’

South Australia (SA) Health apologised to Hatt for her experience.

According to the department's guidelines, any patient waiting more than 30 minutes for transfer to the emergency department is classified as delayed or ramped.

SA Health reported that Hatt’s transfer to the emergency department was delayed by 66 minutes.

Initially, medical personnel failed to recognise that Hatt was experiencing a stroke. However, she underwent six sets of observations conducted by nursing staff "at regular intervals" throughout the night.

‘People who present to our ED are always prioritised according to their clinical need,’ SA Health said.

‘Patients are continually monitored from arrival, with those requiring the most urgent care always seen first.’

shutterstock_1828070570.jpg
Hatt spent two and a half hours just to be admitted inside. Credit: Shutterstock

A Modbury Heights resident also shared the same fate as Hatt.

She was suffering from a painful leg ulcer, and her general practitioner (GP) referred her to a hospital for urgent treatment.

However, she spent ten hours in the Lyell McEwin Hospital Emergency Department without seeing a doctor.

In another incident, the family of Hectorville resident Eddie Fitchett, aged 54, attributed his death to a struggling health system.

On the day of Fitchett's passing last year, emergency services were contacted three times within a span of 10 hours due to his abdominal pain and vomiting.

However, a code white situation within the healthcare system resulted in emergency departments throughout the city being inundated, causing ambulance backups and preventing patients from being promptly admitted.

Shadow Opposition Leader David Speirs branded the current state of ramping as 'catastrophic.'

‘We know that 3759 hours were lost on the ramp in February,’ Speirs said.

‘Labour came to power (in 2022) saying we’ll fix this...and they’ve taken us off a cliff.’

In defence, Premier Peter Malinauskas points to improvements and vows of continuous investment.

Malinauskas stated that one factor exacerbating the issue of ramping at the Lyell McEwin Hospital is the scarcity of general practitioners (GPs) willing to bulk bill patients in Adelaide's northern suburbs.

‘The Lyell (McEwin) has seen an extraordinary number of cases you’d usually expect to see at a GP,’ he said.
Key Takeaways

• Michelle Hatt experienced a stroke and had to wait outside the Lyell McEwin Hospital emergency department for over two hours, feeling 'degraded' due to the lack of attention from staff.
  • Despite suffering a serious condition, Hatt said she did not receive prompt medical attention partly due to overcrowding in the emergency department and staffing issues.
  • SA Health apologised for Hatt's experience, stating that on 6 January, the hospital faced high demand, and her transfer to emergency was considered delayed by 66 minutes.
  • The issue of ambulance ramping and hospital waits has been highlighted as a significant problem in the South Australian health system, with the Premier acknowledging the need for further improvements despite some recent progress.
What do you think of this story, members? Have you, or anyone you know, experienced the same in your local hospital? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I would gladly pay if it was quicker - Thank you I will have to check this out
Yes, and you should be able to get a certain amount from Medicare with your receipt. I've done it.
It's good if it's not life threatening if people don't have private health insurance, otherwise public hospital is best to be sent to.

Now consider what happens in rural hospitals where they can only employ locum doctors on a temporary and very expensive basis for a few days at a time.

Yet the Tas Liberal government wants to spend $750 000 000 of OUR taxpayers' money on a new stadium for the AFL. The AFL should pay for its own stadiums!
👏👏👏

I had a similar experience with my son. I got home to find him in distress and rang the dr he came down and said he needed to go straight to hospital he rang them and gave me a letter I got there with him and saw triage where I was virtually called a liar and he was put through the rigramole when the dr came looking for us. I told him what happened. My son was in dire straits he had perotonis and needed life saving surgery. They finally got him into surgery and he died on the table he was rescusitated and was sent straight to icu I was so furious. He was only 17
My goodness!!! I believe the main problem is inexperience in the staff, lack of training and compassion to listen to us, those ones are in the wrong job.

I feel blessed to have the resources of John Hunter Hospital near to my home.
Hubby went into septic shock, was taken to the Mater hospital because he was a current cancer patient, Mater immediately recognised the seriousness of his condition and we were taken straight to John Hunter and then ICU within the hour.
If they had not acted as quickly as they did, I would have been a widow on that day.
It saddens me that some people are treated so badly. I have to say that the care in ICU afforded to my Johnny was A1 ... they saved his life. It got to the point when I was told to get everyone in who needed to say goodbye, but the ICU department did not give up on him, not even for a moment.
He got through that then spent another month in a ward, where he was also treated very well.
He is still under going cancer treatment and is always treated with dignity and respect there.
I can't believe some families have gone through so much at the hands of an inadequate system.
One can only hope the state Governments put people first and sporting facilities last.
Good to hear MariaG, yes, there is proper care out there by the people who do “care” and where the hospital is well staffed and ran.

Reactions: natalielocket
I myself, will not speak of the appalling treatment of my Dad in Emergency who was basically left to die until they realised he had family and then they still seemed insistent to let him die. We ended discharging him as he would have died there. We took him back to the Nursing home where he lived happily for several months!

• Love
Reactions: natalielocket
The problem is that there are not enough Drs either General or in Hospitals Also to study for your Nursing Degree, unless Family can afford to help you don`t get any help from the Government. The Hex fees, have to be paid back, and if a Student Nurse can get work from the local hospitals, they can get some pay, but that is in their 3rd year. But when they do placement, no payment. They pay for their own accommodation when on placement if away from the local area, fuel, food, etc. Yet people on the dole get their payment whatever. I do know a lot do volunteer work, which is great, but I see a lot around the area, just sitting around smoking, tattoos mobile phones etc. Don`t do anything. Drs, Nurses, and Allied Health all have to pay their own way. It would put a lot of people off if they had to rely on themselves to fund their way through Uni etc