‘Customer service is dead’: New Coles self-checkout policy infuriates shopper

Australian supermarket giant Coles has recently come under fire for a significant change in its self-checkout policy.

This change, which involves how customers purchase paper bags, has sparked outrage among shoppers, with some feeling insulted and treated like potential thieves.

The controversy began when a Coles customer from NSW’s Central Coast shared his experience on social media.

He claimed that a store manager informed him that it was now mandatory for Coles staff to scan the supermarket’s 25-cent paper bags for customers at the self-serve registers.

This new policy, he was told, was an attempt to combat theft.

compressed-shutterstock_1511678018.jpeg
A Coles shopper is infuriated by the supermarket’s new policy. Credit: Shutterstock

This move is the latest in a series of controversial security measures introduced by Coles.

These include body cameras on staff, locking devices on trolleys, loud alarms, high-tech gates, and now, the scanning of paper bags.

The high-tech gates, located at the end of the checkout area, open automatically for customers who have completed their purchases, creating a barrier for those who haven't.

Moreover, Coles customers are now being asked to scan heavy and bulky items first when using the self-serve checkout, another measure aimed at preventing theft.

However, the new policy has left some customers feeling ‘insulted’ and criminalised.

The customer who shared his experience on social media expressed his indignation when a staff member attempted to scan his paper bags for him.

He felt that this policy implied that he was likely to steal the bags.

‘(I) was at Coles today (at) Lake Haven branch and went through the self-serve checkout as usual, as there is virtually nobody manning a register anymore,’ he said.

‘I grabbed about four of those paper bags that can’t hold even two 3-litre milk and put them on the platform next to the register out of the way.’

‘I start to load my groceries on the conveyor belt, and the staff member patrolling the self-serve area comes over and asks me if I want her to scan my paper bags!’

‘I politely told her, “No, it’s OK, I can scan them,” she then asked me if I knew they were 25 cents each.’

‘To which I replied, “Yes, I know they are 25 cents each, I’m not going to steal them.”’

‘Seriously asked me if I knew the bags were 25 cents each. I’ve been shopping at Coles for decades and noticed the change in bags and the price since, like everyone else—I have enough of them shoved above a cupboard,’ he added.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 11.24.57 AM.png
The shopper was very insulted when a staff member asked him about the 25-cent paper bags. Credit: Facebook

The customer's post ended with a lament about the death of customer service, replaced by a focus on profits and shareholders.

‘I have to say I am very insulted by this insinuation that I was likely to steal them, I mean, what else can I think when firstly I told her I would scan them, and she follows it up by asking me if I know the price?’ he asked.

‘I just in that one shop spent just over $100 buying some deli meat, two loaves of bread, a pack of buns, four 3-litre milks and enough groceries for one dinner meal that night, and one shampoo. $100!’

‘Coles, in the 2022/23 financial year, posted a net profit of $1.1 billion dollars after expenses. Insane to be tormenting customers trying to do the right thing to save yourselves some 25-cent bags.’

‘So, my next stop was to speak to the manager and lodge a complaint only to be told uncaringly that it is store policy to scan them due to theft.’

‘The manager did inform me there are cameras and AI watching what goes on.’

‘Well, if there are AI cameras watching, and you have those wheelchair-crushing gates installed to ensure people scan everything, do you really need staff badgering customers just trying to get a shop in?’

‘Customer service is dead! Profits and shareholders are all that matters!’

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that staff are available to assist shoppers with scanning, whether bulky items or new bags, to start the checkout process in the self-serve area.

‘Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service. Given this, our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Whether it’s bulky items or some new bags to start the process of checking out, a team member in the area will, when possible, offer to assist customers in scanning any items.’

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.’
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer has expressed frustration about a new self-checkout policy regarding the scanning of paper bags, feeling it implies shoppers are potential thieves.
  • Coles has introduced several new security measures to combat theft, such as body cameras on staff, locking devices on trolleys, alarms, and high-tech gates.
  • The shopper was insulted when a store manager confirmed it was policy for staff to scan the supermarket's paper bags during self-checkout to prevent theft.
  • A Coles spokesperson noted that team members aim to assist customers at self-serve checkouts and improve customer service, but the shopper felt that customer service was being overshadowed by focus on profits and security.
Have you had a similar experience with these security features and Coles' new policies? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
To date, I have not spent a cent on a re-usable bag.... another money-maker.....
Not necessarily a ‘money maker’. IMO asking people to buy a paper bag could also be a subtle reminder that you need to bring your own bags. Take your own bags and we (Australians) will stop cutting down trees which are so essential to our environment. If we all take our own reusable bags the supermarkets will have so much paper bag stock on hand they will (hopefully) stop getting them and we will become more aware that we either carry a million items to our cars in a trolley or take our own bags.

Reactions: IAN3005
We are not expected to use self serve check outs. We have what is called choice. If you don’t like it , use a manned checkout and stop whinging.
That would be nice if there where manned checkouts,I have been many times and complained about no manned checkouts and left my trolley full for them to put away when no one comes.

That would be nice if there where manned checkouts,I have been many times and complained about no manned checkouts and left my trolley full for them to put away when no one comes.
Why do people get so worked up over shopping. If you are not happy with the service, take your business elsewhere. Leaving a trolley full of items is like having a childish tantrum.

Why do people get so worked up over shopping. If you are not happy with the service, take your business elsewhere. Leaving a trolley full of items is like having a childish tantrum.
It might be a childish tantrum but it feels good. As for shopping elsewhere I now do that and give my business to some one who want it. By the way the vast majority do not like self checkouts it is being forced on them by Cole and Woolworths to increase the billion dollar profits. From may customers will be required to come in and unload the trucks and stack the shelves. I am sure there will be a lot of lemmings willing to do this

It might be a childish tantrum but it feels good. As for shopping elsewhere I now do that and give my business to some one who want it. By the way the vast majority do not like self checkouts it is being forced on them by Cole and Woolworths to increase the billion dollar profits. From may customers will be required to come in and unload the trucks and stack the shelves. I am sure there will be a lot of lemmings willing to do this
Lemmings is the word for the majority of non-thinkers......

Reactions: Pudpye
Don’t speak for others. You don’t like self serve, I love them, so do many of my friends. A business runs to make profit. You are very bitter, so sad. Try to enjoy your twilight years, you may not be here tomorrow!

Don’t speak for others. You don’t like self serve, I love them, so do many of my friends. A business runs to make profit. You are very bitter, so sad. Try to enjoy your twilight years, you may not be here tomorrow!
I will leave it to you not to speak for others, I am speaking from a poll done bye My Gov in which over 80% said they did not like self serve. If you do not have a good argument get personal. You are wasting your time here from one post you can tell so much maybe you should go into mental health as you think you know so much. As for me not being here tomorrow none of us are guaranteed that, death comes at different ages.

I will leave it to you not to speak for others, I am speaking from a poll done bye My Gov in which over 80% said they did not like self serve. If you do not have a good argument get personal. You are wasting your time here from one post you can tell so much maybe you should go into mental health as you think you know so much. As for me not being here tomorrow none of us are guaranteed that, death comes at different ages.
Polls are worth nothing! Smile.

That's for sure..... believe 10% of what you hear, 50% of what you read and 100% of what you see!!!!!
I will pass that on to the companies that spend millions on them every year. Your opinion is 1 in 8 billion so that says a lot.

• Haha