‘Customer service is dead’: New Coles self-checkout policy infuriates shopper

Australian supermarket giant Coles has recently come under fire for a significant change in its self-checkout policy.

This change, which involves how customers purchase paper bags, has sparked outrage among shoppers, with some feeling insulted and treated like potential thieves.

The controversy began when a Coles customer from NSW’s Central Coast shared his experience on social media.

He claimed that a store manager informed him that it was now mandatory for Coles staff to scan the supermarket’s 25-cent paper bags for customers at the self-serve registers.

This new policy, he was told, was an attempt to combat theft.

compressed-shutterstock_1511678018.jpeg
A Coles shopper is infuriated by the supermarket’s new policy. Credit: Shutterstock

This move is the latest in a series of controversial security measures introduced by Coles.

These include body cameras on staff, locking devices on trolleys, loud alarms, high-tech gates, and now, the scanning of paper bags.

The high-tech gates, located at the end of the checkout area, open automatically for customers who have completed their purchases, creating a barrier for those who haven't.

Moreover, Coles customers are now being asked to scan heavy and bulky items first when using the self-serve checkout, another measure aimed at preventing theft.

However, the new policy has left some customers feeling ‘insulted’ and criminalised.

The customer who shared his experience on social media expressed his indignation when a staff member attempted to scan his paper bags for him.

He felt that this policy implied that he was likely to steal the bags.

‘(I) was at Coles today (at) Lake Haven branch and went through the self-serve checkout as usual, as there is virtually nobody manning a register anymore,’ he said.

‘I grabbed about four of those paper bags that can’t hold even two 3-litre milk and put them on the platform next to the register out of the way.’

‘I start to load my groceries on the conveyor belt, and the staff member patrolling the self-serve area comes over and asks me if I want her to scan my paper bags!’

‘I politely told her, “No, it’s OK, I can scan them,” she then asked me if I knew they were 25 cents each.’

‘To which I replied, “Yes, I know they are 25 cents each, I’m not going to steal them.”’

‘Seriously asked me if I knew the bags were 25 cents each. I’ve been shopping at Coles for decades and noticed the change in bags and the price since, like everyone else—I have enough of them shoved above a cupboard,’ he added.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 11.24.57 AM.png
The shopper was very insulted when a staff member asked him about the 25-cent paper bags. Credit: Facebook

The customer's post ended with a lament about the death of customer service, replaced by a focus on profits and shareholders.

‘I have to say I am very insulted by this insinuation that I was likely to steal them, I mean, what else can I think when firstly I told her I would scan them, and she follows it up by asking me if I know the price?’ he asked.

‘I just in that one shop spent just over $100 buying some deli meat, two loaves of bread, a pack of buns, four 3-litre milks and enough groceries for one dinner meal that night, and one shampoo. $100!’

‘Coles, in the 2022/23 financial year, posted a net profit of $1.1 billion dollars after expenses. Insane to be tormenting customers trying to do the right thing to save yourselves some 25-cent bags.’

‘So, my next stop was to speak to the manager and lodge a complaint only to be told uncaringly that it is store policy to scan them due to theft.’

‘The manager did inform me there are cameras and AI watching what goes on.’

‘Well, if there are AI cameras watching, and you have those wheelchair-crushing gates installed to ensure people scan everything, do you really need staff badgering customers just trying to get a shop in?’

‘Customer service is dead! Profits and shareholders are all that matters!’

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that staff are available to assist shoppers with scanning, whether bulky items or new bags, to start the checkout process in the self-serve area.

‘Coles is always looking for ways to improve how we serve our customers and provide exceptional customer service. Given this, our team members are always encouraged to help our customers where possible,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Whether it’s bulky items or some new bags to start the process of checking out, a team member in the area will, when possible, offer to assist customers in scanning any items.’

‘This is all about providing great service to our customers and helping them get through the checkouts quickly and efficiently.’
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer has expressed frustration about a new self-checkout policy regarding the scanning of paper bags, feeling it implies shoppers are potential thieves.
  • Coles has introduced several new security measures to combat theft, such as body cameras on staff, locking devices on trolleys, alarms, and high-tech gates.
  • The shopper was insulted when a store manager confirmed it was policy for staff to scan the supermarket's paper bags during self-checkout to prevent theft.
  • A Coles spokesperson noted that team members aim to assist customers at self-serve checkouts and improve customer service, but the shopper felt that customer service was being overshadowed by focus on profits and security.
Have you had a similar experience with these security features and Coles' new policies? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
It certainly doesn't happen in every Coles store and not in Miranda for one. Rampant theft at Coles and Woolworths stores is a problem which in the end affects us all. If they did this I wouldn't mind. Similarly staff at self checkouts are instructed to scan heavy drink items which are apparently one of the main items stolen. The thing is Coles and Woolworths are not not charities though it seems many think they very well might be. Perhaps posting genuine concerns in this forum would be better than those of a random wuss.

I will NOT use a self checkout. If we all do there will be virtually no staff left in these shops. It is disgusting with the price of groceries they charge for a paper bag. It is a win win situation for supermarkets as years ago we had our groceries packed in strong paper bags. With no charge, then plastic bags also no charge. Why charges now? They are making money out of it I have for a lot of years taken my own bags even before this bag ban was started. As soon as we have emptied them at home they are placed near the back door. Whoever goes out that door first puts them in the car. They are NEVER forgotten. I went to exit Coles Narre Warren Vic in my mobility scooter a couple of weeks ago the gates stayed locked against me! Why? I had no shopping, I was not happy it did that. Are we ALL being treated as their suspects? Shopping is the pits nowadays!

It certainly doesn't happen in every Coles store and not in Miranda for one. Rampant theft at Coles and Woolworths stores is a problem which in the end affects us all. If they did this I wouldn't mind. Similarly staff at self checkouts are instructed to scan heavy drink items which are apparently one of the main items stolen. The thing is Coles and Woolworths are not not charities though it seems many think they very well might be. Perhaps posting genuine concerns in this forum would be better than those of a random wuss.
My son works in rebel Miranda and he does most of his shopping at that coles and has no problems at all

A housemate was grilled by a Coles shop "assistant" at the self serve checkout at Dandenong Princes Highway store on suspicion of shoplifting. He was made to empty his bags and each item scrutinized.

When told of this, I gave him a 5 minute lecture on the rights of the shopper in such situations. Armed with such knowledge, he won't cop that sort of humiliation again.

And yes....shoppers do have rights as well.

If people stopped stealing stuff then Coles & Woolworths wouldn’t have to install so many theft detection devices. Bunnings is another store that has an enormous problem with theft. My husband often complains that he has gone to buy something & the packet has been opened and a few bits removed. People nowadays get upset over very little.

Don’t blame Coles blame your fellow shoppers with thieving ways. All this extra security has to be implemented because there is a large majority who get away with it even with this in place. There are security guards at most places and people aren’t saying Oh they think I am going to assault someone - get over it

In my opinion, PART of this charging for paper bags is because supermarkets are trying to encourage customers to bring their own re-usable shopping bags. If everyone remembered to bring their own bags there wouldn’t be so much pollution by throw-away plastic and paper bags. Take your own fabric re-usable bags then there would be no need for the throw away paper ones.

Customers are still complaining about the flimsy paper bags that cannot take the weight of just a few items and tearing, also due to moisture from items inside. WELL, THE SOLUTION IS - DON‘T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR OWN RE-USABLE FABRIC ONES EVERY TIME then you won’t have to buy bags and you won’t need to whinge any more.

I have never had a problem with self checkout because I refuse to use them. If supermarkets can afford to spend so much on technology, they could have spent that money on giving people customer service jobs which would help the economy. If a normal checkout with somebody operating it is not available, I will leave my shopping, walk out and take my business to somewhere that will provide a pleasant customer service experience.

Shock horror. I went to my local WW yesterday to get a couple of items and found 4 checkouts open. Other customers looked as surprised as I was and even heard a comment from another customer. They must be getting the hint and starting to give that "Exceptional Customer Service" they are always bragging about. I wonder how long it will last.

Don't get angry - get smart.
We shop at both Coles and Woolies.
We take care of the paper bags, and can get 6 or 8 shops out of the bags.
* Look after them - don't overload them - this damages/tears them, or makes the handles dislodge.
* Take a black permanent marker and put lines through the bar code at home
* Use only Woolies bags at Coles
* Use only Coles bags at Woolies

* Alternatively buy the larger, more robust plastic bags - they last forever

Woolworths and Coles are making a business out of the paper bags - agree.
Woolies bags are made in China
Coles bags are made in Vietnam
The bags are identical except for the branding.

Oh - report theft if you see it.
Gone are the days when we turned a blind eye "because it's dobbing."
We all pay for theft.
If you don't like the policing methods of the shops, then take action and help them to stamp it out.
Wrong is still wrong.
Someone who steals is a thief.

I went shopping at Bunnings a few months ago and bought quite a mixture of products including drainpipe connections , screws and a 4 litre outdoor tiles sealant . There were only self service checkouts available .
So , I scanned all the products including the $ 89.- sealant. It was all showing on the screen and a picture of the products as well , then this mature Bunnings employee came to my trolley and tried to scan the sealant , which I had already done and asked her “What are you doing “ .
Can’t you see that I scanned already the sealant, it even shows up on the screen”. She moved away , no apology at all , did not even check with me , if I had forgotten to scan that product . It really made me boiling inside , as I DO NOT STEAL !
The next day I got an email from Bunnings , how I went with my last shopping . I did give them heaps and unfortunately I never heard anything of them , the least they could apologise for this lady’s action .