‘Can you stop doing that?’: Customer slams Australia Post over ‘lazy’ delivery excuse

In an age where online shopping has become as routine as a morning cuppa, the reliability of delivery services is more crucial than ever.

But what happens when the trusty postie fails to deliver, quite literally?

Australia Post, the nation's trusted postal service, has been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons after a customer's complaint about a 'lazy' delivery excuse went viral.

A young Queensland woman named Aimee was eagerly awaiting a parcel at home when she received a notification that her delivery could not be completed due to a 'safety hazard'.

Perplexed and just meters away from where the postie had supposedly been, Aimee took to social media to express her dismay.

In a video that quickly gained traction, she showcased the clear path to her house, including her seven stairs and driveway, questioning the existence of any such hazard.

photo.jpg
Aimee took her frustration to social media over Australia Post driver’s ‘lazy’ excuse. Credit: @aimeeduroux / TikTok

‘AusPost, it is 11:06 AM. I just got a notification that you tried to deliver my parcel at 11 am and you couldn't because there’s a safety hazard?’ she said in the video.

‘This is where I live, here’s my seven stairs to get to my house, there’s the driveway and there’s the bins.’

‘Did you want to tell me what the safety hazard is? Because I’m home, I’m literally in my pyjamas. I have been home all morning. Maybe we just had a bit of a lazy delivery driver, do we think? Can you stop doing that?’

The comments section was flooded with tales of delivery woes.

‘Got told the gate was locked…I don’t have a gate,’ one viewer said.

‘When am I supposed to get my parcels as someone who works full time?’ another complained, adding it happens ‘all the time’ to them even though the local AusPost store is open from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday to Friday.

‘From the amount of comments, it’s evident that there are lots of problems with parcel deliveries,’ Aimee said.

Similarly, a customer also received notification claiming his parcel couldn’t be delivered because his driveway gate was ‘locked’.

However, the CCTV footage showed the black gate wide open at the time of the supposed delivery attempt.

‘Good job, AusPost,’ he said sarcastically.

In response to the public outcry, an Australia Post spokesperson issued an apology for the 'misunderstanding', assuring that they had spoken to the delivery team to remind them of proper protocols.

‘We’ve spoken to our delivery team in the area to remind them of delivery protocols, including the correct wording for notifications,’ the spokesperson said.

The incident has shed light on the challenges faced by postal workers and customers alike.

Australia Post revealed that posties have logged over 81,000 hazards in the past 12 months, which equates to more than 200 per day.

These hazards range from:
  • Unrestrained or aggressive dogs
  • Low-hanging branches, obstructive trees/shrubs
  • Dangerous surface conditions such as cracked footpaths and uneven surfaces
  • Letterbox conditions including sharp, jagged or rusted edges
  • Blind driveways and obstructive cars
You can watch Aimee’s video below:

Credit: @aimeeduroux / TikTok

Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post has issued an apology to a Queensland customer after she was told her parcel delivery failed due to a 'safety hazard,' which she disputed.
  • The customer, Aimee, shared her experience on social media, questioning the alleged hazard as she was home waiting for the delivery.
  • An Australia Post spokesperson clarified that there was a 'misunderstanding,' which they attributed to the delivery rider not wanting to leave the bike unattended.
  • The incident has led to wider criticism from other customers about Australia Post’s delivery practices, triggering a response to remind delivery teams of proper protocols.
Have you had any delivery experiences that left you scratching your head? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have had constant hiccups with their excuses. One of the best was they didn't feel it was safe to leave their bike on the street and walk onto the property, of course large driveway and heaps of visitor parking. No matter - my comment to this was, why give parcels to these people? I used to witness drivers pull up to a block of units and just go to the mail boxes and drop in all the 'delivery notices'. Thank goodness where I am now living we have a lovely friendly and helpful postie, nothing is a problem to him!

I have a lot of parcels delivered and they just put it on the porch and run off.
There is an exception one driver places it on the porch and if he sees me open my door it doesn’t matter what size the parcels are even when he has started driving off he gets out of his van and picks up and passes to me or brings into the house.
I know it is because he knows I use a walker and he isn’t doing it for money as I have only given a small tip at Christmas. I wish I could remember his name. I will have to ask him again. I am 74 so memory not always good.

On 2 separate occasions in 2 consecutive weeks, the parcel was left on top of the rubbish bin in full view of the street and exposed to rain. A few days before that, a parcel for my neighbour was left next to my bins. Absolutely woeful excuse for service!

I used to work Xmas jobs delivering letters and parcels for the Royal Mail. Yes, a long time ago in a place far away and despite the snow and ice being a serious hazard. The mail just had to go through, and that was that. Fortunately the two large insane Alsatian dogs I encountered were behind closed windows, which they hit impressively hard when they were promising me that they would rip out my throat. No postie should have to put up with the "friendly little doggie".

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I'm totally spoiled. Just this week I learned we can compliment out Posties for good work as well as puting in complaints. John Prior, out of Bundaberg South Post Office is amazing. This man has the most incredible smile, nothing too much a problem and a joy to speak to. Bless you John, You are the best. (from14 Water Street)

I installed a WI-FI doorbell, I forget how much it cost< but no bugger uses it still bang on the bloody door, Bastards.
We had the same problem. Great big door bell with a chime that would wake someone in a coma and some kept knocking. It's improved since I found a big sign that says PLEASE RING THE BELL. You have to wonder.

Yes I have many times in Melbourne. No one answered the intercom???? Many times I was sitting near it expecting the delivery but it couldn't be answered as no one rang. I have complained to the Post Office staff member and was told it happens all the time and their Manager is rather week so nothing gets done. These drivers are bone lazy!!

On 2 separate occasions in 2 consecutive weeks, the parcel was left on top of the rubbish bin in full view of the street and exposed to rain. A few days before that, a parcel for my neighbour was left next to my bins. Absolutely woeful excuse for service!
Yeah that's sloppy work done by someone who shouldn't be employed in that profession, maybe working in the sewers world be more suitable for them

I used to work Xmas jobs delivering letters and parcels for the Royal Mail. Yes, a long time ago in a place far away and despite the snow and ice being a serious hazard. The mail just had to go through, and that was that. Fortunately the two large insane Alsatian dogs I encountered were behind closed windows, which they hit impressively hard when they were promising me that they would rip out my throat. No postie should have to put up with the "friendly little doggie".
Yes that is where the responsibility of the customer has to play its part

"Australia Post revealed that posties have logged over 81,000 hazards." Ha!

From the article, I am led to believe that was 81,000 threatening blades of grass!

It is a good job the Allies weren't as timid in two world wars. Or maybe we'd all be Heiling Hitler and today's posties (Die Menschen, die die Post an Ihre Haustür liefern) would be obeying their jack-booted masters?

Yes I have many times in Melbourne. No one answered the intercom???? Many times I was sitting near it expecting the delivery but it couldn't be answered as no one rang. I have complained to the Post Office staff member and was told it happens all the time and their Manager is rather week so nothing gets done. These drivers are bone lazy!!
put in a complaint to PO head office and one in your area. Hopefully this works. When I found out you could lodge a compliment also I did this for our Postie. I contacted Brisbane who were thrilled to hear what I said but also passed it on to our local post office and thence to John.

Last year I was awaiting quite a few parcels from Temu which all came late. Good to their word they credited me $5 on each one for late delivery.
On checking the tracking I discovered they had been sitting at the Aust Post depot for over 5 days, according to them because of the floods.
The parcels had come direct to Perth, not via Eastern States and there had been no floods here
Not only are they slack they're also stupid

Last year I was awaiting quite a few parcels from Temu which all came late. Good to their word they credited me $5 on each one for late delivery.
On checking the tracking I discovered they had been sitting at the Aust Post depot for over 5 days, according to them because of the floods.
The parcels had come direct to Perth, not via Eastern States and there had been no floods here
Not only are they slack they're also stupid
Yeah but the problem doesn't lie with Temu it's the bloody couriers some are really good and others are complete idiots

Yeah but the problem doesn't lie with Temu it's the bloody couriers some are really good and others are complete idiots
Exactly, it is unfair that Temu should have to pay for
Australia Post's tardiness.
Our local postie however, always rings the bell and gets a signature or takes the parcel back to the PO for me to pick up.