‘Can’t believe I have to say this’: Commuters call out public transport disgusting habits

Navigating the hustle and bustle of public transport is a daily reality for many. It's a shared space where we expect a certain decorum and mutual respect.

However, not everyone seems to know appropriate behaviour in these communal areas.

From the mildly annoying to the downright disgusting, Aussies have seen it all, and they're calling out the worst public transport habits that need to stop now.

Transport New South Wales posted four major public transport disgusting habits on its social media, causing a heated discussion among users.

‘When someone does something that gives you the “ick” (AKA a sudden feeling of repulsion or disgust), you'll never look at them the same again,’ the post said.

So, what are these behaviours that are causing such strong reactions?

pete-walls-IFFlRyroG6U-unsplash.jpg
Commuters shared the worst public transport disgusting habits on social media. Credit: Unsplash

Firstly, personal grooming seems to be a major issue.

Imagine settling into your seat for a peaceful ride, only to witness someone clipping their nails or, even worse, shaving their legs right there in the carriage.

'Don't forget the applying nail polish beside you. Mind you, the smell probably wakes me up if it's on the morning train,' one user said.

Another chimed in, ‘The one who squeezes her boyfriend's spots on his neck when sitting on the seats in front of you.'

'Women who brush long hair and you see fine dry scalp flying everywhere,' a third said.

Another added, ‘Earwax does not get wiped on the handrail people! I can't believe I have to say this!’

Then there's the 'commute DJ'—those individuals who feel the need to share their music with the entire carriage, blasting tunes from their phone without a care in the world.

Littering is another disgusting habit for commuters. 'Tossers' who leave their rubbish behind show a blatant disregard for the environment and their fellow passengers.

And let's not forget about the space invaders.

'People who have to sit right next to you, nearly on top of you when there's plenty of space,' one said.

'The one who puts their bag on the seat and gives you the look when you ask them to free up the seat so you can use it,' a second replied.

'For me, it's when I'm first on the train sitting with no seats facing me, and someone comes along after me and flips the row in front of me to face me so that they don't have to face anyone with zero regard for first come first serve etiquette,' a third commuter said.

Another complained, ‘When some creepy dude sits right next to me when every other seat was free.’

Phone etiquette is another hot topic.

‘Those who come in a packed train talking on a mobile phone in one hand and a cup of hot drink in the other, and won't have a free hand to hold on to anything as the train lurches forward or brakes to a stop,' one commented.

‘When people talk so loud and have the phone on speaker and I can still hear the conversation with noise-reducing headphones,’ another said.

Some of the more bizarre behaviours reported include passengers flossing their teeth, putting their feet up on seats, cleaning their ears with a bobby pin, vaping in carriages, and even boarding buses shirtless.

Riding public transportation may seem routine, but it can be full of unexpected events.

In a previous story, a woman launched a passionate tirade against a young commuter who allegedly boarded the tram without swiping her card. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Australians have shared habits or actions by others that induce feelings of disgust experienced while using public transport.
  • Common complaints include inappropriate personal grooming on the go, such as clipping nails or shaving legs, and poor etiquette, like loud music playing or occupying seats with bags.
  • Commuters are frustrated with those who disregard personal space and the unspoken rules of public transport seating arrangements.
  • Other bizarre behaviours include loud conversations, vaping on carriages, and not holding onto anything while carrying a hot drink on packed trains.
What public transport habits do you find disgusting? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The most common stills seems to be:
Not giving up a seat for pregnant women, the elderly and disabled - even when they're sitting in seats zoned for this purpose!!!!!
I think the days of good manners and empathy are on the way out.
Some young people have been seen to be obliging and helpful, others spoil it for the rest.
It starts at home.

I think the days of good manners and empathy are on the way out.
Some young people have been seen to be obliging and helpful, others spoil it for the rest.
It starts at home.
I agree hanging is to good for them, It's a good up kick the arse they need disgusting little rat bastards?.

Last edited:
Having not driven for nearly nine years, I use public transport exclusively.

The worst behaviour is where idiots try to get on a bus BEFORE you get off the bus. I've sent many a goose, both male and female, sprawling on their backs on the footpath. Nasty you say? For you women out there who asked for gender equality, here it is. Courtesy of Veggie.

The most disgusting behavour on public transport, and I think that most of your viewers will agree with me. When there is standing room only when you get onto the transport, and you are 4'10' are stood next to someone who has not used deodorant, I think you can see the scenario, believe me when I say this is the worst travelling experience.

I'm not playing who can top who, but when I was a teenager coming home late on the train and a guy in his early 30's sat across from me and proceeded to wank off. I ignored him and got off at my stop.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM