‘Butter Boards’ Are All Over The Internet, But This Hack Makes Them Slightly More Nutritious

While you've surely heard of a charcuterie board (or, more casually a cheese board) the latest trend that seems to have taken the internet by storm is the ‘butter board’—and it's exactly what it sounds like. To make one of these delicious boards, you simply spread softened butter across a board and add the toppings of your choosing. Then, give everyone a slice of bread to dip into the buttery goodness.

The tastiest one we've come across here at the Seniors Discount Club seems to be the honey and pesto topping, which apparently complements the creamy, delicious butter extremely well. And although it all sounds incredibly delicious, we were wondering, is there any way to make this decadent dish even a tiny bit healthier? Because you know, butter and bread may taste great but aren't the most nutritious snack.

Screenshot 2022-09-23 at 4.12.06 pm.png
Yum. Butter boards. Image source: @Lindsey Eats on Youtube.

The recipe?
You guessed it! A thick layer of butter across the board, then about half a jar of pesto, and lastly honey squeezed on top of them both. We, however, think we can do better.

So how can you up the nutritious value of your butter board?

There's certainly nothing wrong with topping your board with a classic store-bought pesto, and some honey, and calling it a starter. But what if we told you there was a way to add veggies to your creation without compromising on taste?

Well! Why not try whipping up your own ‘healthy’ pesto? I’ll come out and say it, folks, I’ve been lying to my partner about the pesto pasta I’ve whipped up for years now. He’s convinced it’s the ‘traditional’ pesto – you know, basil, parmesan, olive oil and whatever type of nut I have in the pantry – but the reality is, I’ve been sneaking in far more green veggies than he realises.

I love 'beefing' (which seems like the wrong word, but you get what I mean) up my pesto with peas and a lot of baby spinach. I do it because you can barely taste the difference, these veggies are high in iron, and it’s far healthier than your traditional pesto. So basically all you do is make your pesto as you normally would, but then add a few handfuls of baby spinach and a cup of peas. I promise you, you’ll barely notice the difference. In fact, it comes out so much creamier!

My recipe? (I’m glad you asked)
A bunch of fresh basil
A handful of pine nuts (or any nuts you have, I sometimes use almonds)
2 handfuls of baby spinach
1 cup of parmesan cheese
1 cup of peas
Olive oil (I usually pour as I’m blending, because the amount of oil you need depends on the amount you have)

So, if you're considering whipping up one of these butter boards for your own next dinner party, may we suggest topping it with some honey and homemade pesto that hides vegetables in every bite? Alongside a loaf of gut-healthy sourdough to make it all extra tasty.

Of course, I’m not saying a dinner party always needs to feature entirely healthy ingredients in order to be nourishing to the body and the mind. However, if you are looking for subtle ways to enhance your daily diet and give yourself some peace of mind that you're working toward a healthier you, then why not try it? Your friends and family will benefit too, without even realising it.

Not sure how to put these butter boards together? Watch the video below!

Sponsored
I'll try the pesto but pass on the butter board.
When I make spaghetti Bolognese sauce I have always added blended carrots, celery, capsicum, onion and garlic to get other vegetables beside tomatoes.