‘Bunnings did me dirty’ –‘Adorable’ decoration takes a terrifying turn at night

It’s safe to say we’ve all regretted a purchase at some point in our life. Whether it was a trinket that we saw on sale or food that didn’t taste as well as we hoped. It happens to the best of us!

But for one customer, her feeling of regret was taken to a whole new level when she realised just how 'terrifying' her recent buy truly was.

Chantelle purchased what she thought would be an adorable addition to her Christmas decorations – but soon discovered that it looked a bit sinister come nightfall.

The woman bought the $49 Christmas meerkat statue from Bunnings Warehouse, complete with solar-powered LED lighting in its eyes and nose.

meerkat.jpg
The décor looks innocent enough in the picture, don’t you think? Credit: Bunnings Warehouse

The mum shared her purchase in a Facebook group and attached a ‘petrifying’ photo to her post.

‘Thought it would be cute…Bunnings did me dirty,’ she captioned.

Members of the Facebook group quickly commented on her post, with many sharing their amusement at the meerkat décor.

‘I looked at these and wondered why they didn’t have any on display. Now I know why,’ shared one woman.

Another added: ‘I was looking at these and telling my partner how cute it would look in my yard. This has determined that was a lie.’

‘That’s so funny. I want a whole yard of these staring into the souls of passers-by,’ a third joked.

meerkat2.jpg
It looks more ‘alive’ at least. Credit: Facebook

Chantelle replied in the comments: ‘It looks cute when it’s not night time, I might just not let it charge.’

Others called the meerkat statue ‘creepy’ and ‘demonic’.

‘Well, that’s slightly terrifying,’ said one.

‘You summoned a meerkat!’ Quipped another.

For Halloween this year, Bunnings released the same item with a different design, this time the meerkat décor was dressed up in a grim reaper costume. And yes, it had the same LED feature.

These meerkat statues first became a popular item when Woolworths started selling them in 2020 for $10. Bunnings then began selling the décor, but with some slight alterations. Bunnings’ statues are double the price and size, and they added solar LED light-up eyes to illuminate gardens at night. Whether that final addition is a positive or not… we’re not sure.

Woolworths’ meerkat décor can be purchased individually or in assorted packs. However, due to their popularity, they’re currently sold out.

There are 45 characters to choose from, including superheroes, singers, and animated characters!

woolies3.jpg
Woolies’ version is smaller. Credit: Woolworths
Key Takeaways

• A customer was left ‘terrified’ after buying a festive glow-in-the-dark meerkat statue from Bunnings Warehouse.
  • Chantelle bought the $49 Christmas meerkat statue complete with solar-powered LED lighting in the eyes and nose.
  • At night she was petrified by how the product truly looked and shared images in a Facebook group.
  • Others in the Facebook group quickly flocked to the comments and shared their amusement at the situation.
Do you think the garden décor is cute or spooky? Have you seen these in stores? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
It’s safe to say we’ve all regretted a purchase at some point in our life. Whether it was a trinket that we saw on sale or food that didn’t taste as well as we hoped. It happens to the best of us!

But for one customer, her feeling of regret was taken to a whole new level when she realised just how 'terrifying' her recent buy truly was.

Chantelle purchased what she thought would be an adorable addition to her Christmas decorations – but soon discovered that it looked a bit sinister come nightfall.

The woman bought the $49 Christmas meerkat statue from Bunnings Warehouse, complete with solar-powered LED lighting in its eyes and nose.

View attachment 10185
The décor looks innocent enough in the picture, don’t you think? Credit: Bunnings Warehouse

The mum shared her purchase in a Facebook group and attached a ‘petrifying’ photo to her post.

‘Thought it would be cute…Bunnings did me dirty,’ she captioned.

Members of the Facebook group quickly commented on her post, with many sharing their amusement at the meerkat décor.

‘I looked at these and wondered why they didn’t have any on display. Now I know why,’ shared one woman.

Another added: ‘I was looking at these and telling my partner how cute it would look in my yard. This has determined that was a lie.’

‘That’s so funny. I want a whole yard of these staring into the souls of passers-by,’ a third joked.

View attachment 10186
It looks more ‘alive’ at least. Credit: Facebook

Chantelle replied in the comments: ‘It looks cute when it’s not night time, I might just not let it charge.’

Others called the meerkat statue ‘creepy’ and ‘demonic’.

‘Well, that’s slightly terrifying,’ said one.

‘You summoned a meerkat!’ Quipped another.

For Halloween this year, Bunnings released the same item with a different design, this time the meerkat décor was dressed up in a grim reaper costume. And yes, it had the same LED feature.

These meerkat statues first became a popular item when Woolworths started selling them in 2020 for $10. Bunnings then began selling the décor, but with some slight alterations. Bunnings’ statues are double the price and size, and they added solar LED light-up eyes to illuminate gardens at night. Whether that final addition is a positive or not… we’re not sure.

Woolworths’ meerkat décor can be purchased individually or in assorted packs. However, due to their popularity, they’re currently sold out.

There are 45 characters to choose from, including superheroes, singers, and animated characters!

View attachment 10187
Woolies’ version is smaller. Credit: Woolworths
Key Takeaways

• A customer was left ‘terrified’ after buying a festive glow-in-the-dark meerkat statue from Bunnings Warehouse.
  • Chantelle bought the $49 Christmas meerkat statue complete with solar-powered LED lighting in the eyes and nose.
  • At night she was petrified by how the product truly looked and shared images in a Facebook group.
  • Others in the Facebook group quickly flocked to the comments and shared their amusement at the situation.
Do you think the garden décor is cute or spooky? Have you seen these in stores? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Grow up people, there's nothing spooky about these.

I haven't heard the story of the Christmas Meerkat, but it may be part of the Grinch story which I haven't read.
I enjoy walking around my neighbourhood with my grandchildren on warm summer evenings to see the outlandish electric displays, and Bunnings does a roaring trade.

the only terrifying thing about this is the ridiculous price and of course the fact that the woman just HAD to tell social media I'm surprised SDC didn't post how many likes and dislikes she got as well no news here folks