‘Bikini’ blunder: Kmart shopper’s rant over clothing purchase splashes into hilarious debate

In the age of social media, where every grievance can be aired to an audience of thousands with just a few taps on a screen, it's not uncommon to see customer complaints make the rounds.

However, sometimes, these rants can take an unexpected turn, as was the case with a shopper's furious tirade over a Kmart purchase, which turned into a lesson on the difference between swimwear and underwear.

The shopper took to social media to express her outrage after a family barbecue pool party went awry.

She had purchased the Co-ordinated Lace Bikini Briefs ($2.50) from Kmart—what she believed to be a bargain bikini bottom—only to discover that when wet, the white ‘bikini’ became ‘see-through’, leaving little to the imagination.

‘How are we supposed to swim freely if everything is literally on show as soon as we get wet?’ she lamented in her post, which also included a picture of the offending item.

compressed-shutterstock_1559323235.jpeg
A Kmart shopper faced embarrassment after a pair of ‘bikini briefs’ she purchased from Kmart became see-through when wet during a family barbecue. Credits: Shutterstock

However, the internet's response was not one of sympathy but of education and, in some cases, amusement.

Fellow group members were quick to point out that ‘bikini briefs’ refer to the cut and style of the underwear, not its suitability for swimming.

One woman explained, ‘Bikini briefs are called that because of the shape, not because they are bikinis.’

Another added, 'Briefs are underwear in the shape of briefs, but I am sorry this happened to you.’

The conversation took a humorous turn when one commenter questioned, ‘Did the fact there was no bikini top not give it away that something was awry? What did your family think when you paraded around with an invisible bikini top on?’

Despite mounting evidence of her mistake, the poster doubled down and refused to accept the correction.

‘Don't make up lies just to defend Kmart,’ she accused other commenters.

‘Sorry, hun, but that just sounds wrong to me. If a bikini isn't swimwear then what is it? Is it opposite day?’ she retorted, unable to concede that she had misinterpreted the product's purpose.

‘Kmart is a literal billion-dollar company—they wouldn't lie about what the word means,’ she replied to another shopper who explained that it was not just Kmart that has a range of ‘bikini’ briefs.

As the debate over the nature of the ‘bikini’ briefs continued, one woman suggested that the ‘lace part’ should have been a giveaway that the item was not designed for swimming, to which the poster responded, ‘Excuse me? I've got loads of lacy swimwear and none of them turn see-through.’

As the post gained traction, the shopper's combative stance began to alienate her audience.

‘I think you need professional help,’ one said.

‘I think this is a scam to get people talking on here,’ another suggested.

‘Well that's my morning entertainment,’ a third remarked.

Some tried to inject a bit of levity into the situation, with one woman jokingly advising, ‘I wear three pairs at once.’

‘You are right. Save yourself $2.50 and avoid these at all cost…nobody wants to see your [lady parts] at family barbecues,’ another wrote.

The peculiar case of a Kmart customer purchasing a bikini that left her with unexpected briefs has certainly caused quite a stir online.

Shoppers were left scratching their heads over how such an error could occur, and the incident quickly became a hot topic among the Aussie public.

This curious mishap aligns perfectly with another baffling swimwear situation at Kmart, where a swimsuit detail has left many Australians equally perplexed.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper was embarrassed after mistakenly complaining about a pair of $2.50 ‘bikini briefs’ from Kmart, which were actually underwear.
  • She experienced a wardrobe malfunction when the briefs turned ‘see-through’ after jumping in a pool, thinking they were bikini bottoms.
  • Social media users quickly pointed out her error, explaining that ‘bikini briefs’ refer to their shape, not their use for swimming.
  • Despite ridicule and explanations, the woman defended her misunderstanding and insisted Kmart was misleading, leading to more backlash from other commenters.
Have you ever had a shopping blunder that you can laugh about now? Or perhaps you've witnessed a similar mix-up? Share your stories in the comments below, and let's enjoy the lighter side of life's little misunderstandings together.

Last edited:
Sponsored
If she commented (& I quote her here) “the poster responded, ‘Excuse me? I've got loads of lacy swimwear and none of them turn see-through.’ “ - why did she need another pair to add to her loads of swimwear especially a white lace pair??!!

This woman is a fruit loop. I am well past wearing a bikini, but have bought bikini briefs for as long as I can remember.
She must have been living under a rock
The appropriate response, when she had her mistake pointed out to her, was to laugh at her silly mistake, not to keep on making
even stupider comments.

doesn't everyone know white when wet shows everything regardless of what it was designed for - I purchased white bathers in my teens never again it showed every single strand of hair down there and highlighted my nipples very well -- never wear white again - apart from the fact I can never get out of the house in a white shirt without it getting dirt on it before I even get to the door no matter what I do

If she commented (& I quote her here) “the poster responded, ‘Excuse me? I've got loads of lacy swimwear and none of them turn see-through.’ “ - why did she need another pair to add to her loads of swimwear especially a white lace pair??!!
I agree ...Seriously..who wears lace bikinis ??I've never even seen any ..including overseas and they have some weird tastes in Europe and asia..

• Love
Reactions: bluetang and Iggydi
This woman must be the only one on the planet who doesn't know about bikini cuts ( thats its name bikini cut. )or white??spose she wears white under white as well which is also a no no as you can see the knickers under the white pants..you wear flesh colours..sorry but seems like she is bored...to make a debate out of such trash conversation..

Reactions: SandyM and Iggydi
what does she do when buying underwear then? and where were the others bathers to tell her these were swimming bikinis. and why bottoms on their own with no tops? Common sense surely.

Reactions: Iggydi