‘Are you serious?’: Jetstar flight attendant’s response to pen request leaves passenger speechless

Jetstar is known for its budget-friendly airfares.

But one passenger recently discovered that the airline's cost-cutting measures might just extend to even the most basic of amenities—a pen.

Douglas Lazickirk, a seasoned traveller with a goal to explore every country at least once, was left stunned during a Jetstar flight from Sydney to Seoul, South Korea, on 25 February.

When Lazickirk asked a flight attendant if he could borrow a pen to fill out his incoming passenger card, he was met with an unexpected response.

20240301_083601_0000.png
Traveller Douglas Lazickirk was shocked by a flight attendant’s response. Credit: @onlytravel / TikTok

'I said, “Are you serious?” And she goes, “No, you can buy one for $5,”' Lazickirk said.

He was further taken aback when the flight attendant admitted she had a pen on her, but it was her 'right' to deny him the use of it.

She also informed him that pens were available on arrival in South Korea if he did not wish to buy one.

Undeterred, Lazickirk approached another flight attendant at the other end of the plane, who readily agreed to lend him a pen.

'I told him the lady at the back [of the plane] refused to give me the pen, and he was shocked,' Lazickirk said.

'I've caught more than 1000 flights in my life; I've never been denied a pen.'

A third Jetstar employee joined the conversation while Lazickirk was sharing his experience with the second flight attendant.

According to Lazickirk, she stated that as part of their 'legal responsibility at Jetstar', they 'don't have to supply a pen'.

'She said [to me], “It's up to her discretion, so if she didn't want to give you a pen, she didn't have to,”' Lazickirk recounted.

Jetstar declined to comment on Lazickirk's experience but confirmed that it does not provide complimentary pens.

Instead, passengers can purchase '3-in-1 pens' on board for $5.

It is understood that pens used by staff may not be available for passengers as they are needed for their work.

Jetstar's pen policy may seem unusual, but it aligns with the airline's low-cost model.

Jetstar offers customers the option to purchase cheaper flights without the extras. This means that baggage, food, beverages, and even pens are added as an extra cost if required.

Some of Jetstar’s extra costs not included in its ticket prices are the following:
  1. Baggage: Jetstar's basic fares include 7 kg of carry-on baggage, and you can pay extra for checked luggage.
  2. Seat selection: You'll need to pay more to pick your seat on a Jetstar flight.
  3. In-flight inclusions: Jetstar charges extra for meals and drinks during the flight, and you have to buy them before or during your flight.

While this model allows for lower ticket prices, it can lead to unexpected costs for passengers.

Lazickirk's experience is a stark reminder of this, as he also reported being 'double charged' for a meal on the flight.

'Jetstar charged me full price for an in-flight meal even though I had a $15 voucher and there was $2 extra to pay. The process to get a refund is equally as painful,' one person shared in response to Lazickirk's video recounting his experience.

‘Rubbish airline! I’d rather walk or swim to get to my destination,’ another complained.

You can watch Lazickirk’s video below:

Credit: @onlytravel / TikTok

This wasn’t the first time Jetstar faced backlash from its passengers.

In a previous story, a musician was frustrated and heartbroken to discover that his treasured possession was severely damaged after a Jetstar flight.

Reeling from the shock, he vowed to never fly with Jetstar again. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Jetstar passenger was surprised when a flight attendant refused to lend him a pen, telling him he could buy one for $5.
  • The man, who travels frequently, was shocked by the response as he was accustomed to borrowing pens on flights without issue.
  • Jetstar confirmed they do not provide complimentary pens and that passengers can purchase them on board.
  • Some customers expressed frustration with Jetstar's additional costs, as evident in the feedback and comments shared online following the incident.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Have you ever encountered a similar situation while travelling with airlines? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Perhaps stewards need to carry more than one pen. One for their own use & others of lesser quality to give away.

But, yes l agree. As a seasoned traveller & with COVID still with us he should do as l do, carry a biro with me all the time in a glass case, reading & dark glasses. When l go to an appointment & need to fill in a form & am offered a biro from the desk l kindly decline & tell the Receptionist l have my own.

Is this one of the Australian Airlines who are contemplating the idea of allowing customers to carry pets on a flight with them in a basket as long as it fits under the seat in front???

Reactions: janj
Wow. If he has flown so many times previously you would think he knows to carry a pen!! I bet the first attendant has had pens “forgotten” to be returned during the busy landing and decided she would need it for her job on arrival. Take responsibility for your actions or did your mother pack for you

Reactions: janj and Ezzy