‘Are you regretting it now?’: Restaurant owner's break-up revenge goes viral

Break-ups can be a hard topic to discuss. It lets us recall memories that may never come back anytime soon.

However, one restaurant owner has taken his break-up retaliation to a whole new level, sparking a viral sensation and leaving the public both amused and intrigued.

The owner's bold move has not only captured the attention of locals but has also become a hot topic across social media.

The story unfolds in Caroline Springs, Melbourne, where the yet-to-open Chingu Korean BBQ is already making headlines, not for its menu or decor, but for a bold billboard that's impossible to miss.

The sign reads, 'Hey Sophia, you broke up with me because I was poor. Now I have money to open a Korean BBQ, are you regretting it now?'

This public display of a personal vendetta has turned heads and raised eyebrows, with many wondering about the backstory that led to a public call-out.

chingu kbbq.jpg
An ‘interesting’ signage on Chingu Korean BBQ located in Caroline Springs.
Image Credit: Facebook

The internet has been abuzz since the post went viral, with users divided between shock at the owner's brazenness and admiration for what could be a genius marketing strategy.

The sign has sparked a flurry of comments online, with one comment saying, 'Revenge is a dish best served barbecued.'

‘I’ll support this restaurant,’ another comment reads.

Another humorously speculated about Sophia's current situation, saying, 'I don't think Sophia will be able to see that from her new boyfriend's yacht.'

The saga didn't end there.

In a twist that adds a sprinkle of community spirit to the drama, another local business decided to join the conversation.

A doughnut shop put up their own banner, which read, 'Yo, Korean BBQ, don't worry about Sophia. We have all the dessert you need right here!'

While the owner of Chingu Korean BBQ is reportedly overseas, the story has reminded many of a similar incident from 2022, where a woman named Jenny used a full-page newspaper ad to call out her 'cheating ex' Steve.

The ad read, 'Dear Steve, I hope you're happy with her. Now the whole town will know what a filthy cheater you are. From Jenny. P.S. I bought this ad using your credit card.'

An Adelaide pub humorously responded to the ad with their roadside sign, which read ‘Dear Jenny, I’m sorry, from all the Steves.’

These public displays of break-up revenge, whether driven by genuine emotion or clever marketing, certainly make for compelling stories. They tap into our innate curiosity about the personal lives of others and our fascination with justice—or at least, a sense of comeuppance.

These stories also raise questions about the boundaries of personal and public life, and whether airing one's dirty laundry in such a public forum is fair game or a step too far.

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne restaurant owner posted a billboard outside their Korean BBQ venue, suggesting revenge towards an ex named Sophia who left him for being 'poor.'
  • The billboard has gone viral on social media, with many speculating about the background story and some considering it a marketing strategy.
  • A local business, Gotham Doughnuts, joined in the narrative with their sign offering dessert as consolation to the Korean BBQ owner.
  • Comparisons were made to a 2022 incident where a woman named Jenny publicly shamed her ‘cheating ex’ named Steve, in a newspaper ad, which was suspected to be a promotional stunt.

Is the owner of Chingu Korean BBQ taking it too far? Or do you have any stories about public break-ups to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored