‘Am I Really Elderly?’ Seniors Weigh in on the Age Debate

In a recent, fascinating discussion on the popular forum GransNet, one user shared her experience of being referred to as an 'elderly lady' by her doctor, despite considering herself to be ‘modern and non-grey-haired woman’. This sparked a vibrant discussion among users as they navigated the delicate issue of age and what it means to be considered 'elderly'. We're diving into the conversation and sharing varying opinions about ageing and self-perception. We’d love to know what your take is in the comment section below!

shutterstock_1805972035.jpg
Are you offended by the term ‘elderly’ or are you embracing it? Image source: Shutterstock.

One user joked, ‘Personally I’m not elderly (73) but I do see a lot of elderly people about!’ while another admitted, ‘I struggle progressing to elderly though my children could be regarded as such now I think about it. I wear jeans for heaven's sake!’ Clearly, the feeling of youth is not dictated by numbers alone.

One user shared that at age 93, their neighbour did not appreciate being referred to as elderly by her GP. Is that fair enough? Another user stated, ‘I'm not old at 80 either, it's the new 60 so far as I'm concerned.’ Though, there are reminders that age is not just a state of mind, with one user noting the medical implications, ‘In medical physiological terms you are one of the elderly, I’m afraid. If you were middle-aged that would mean living till you were 150!’

Others attempted to reclaim the term altogether, suggesting that badges with ‘Old and Proud’ be made, while another user shared their delight at being elderly: ‘I will claim any discount that being elderly allows and there are quite a lot.’ We couldn’t agree more. 😉

Diving deeper, some users questioned the subjective nature of what it means to be elderly, ‘If you think “elderly” is in some way a derogatory term with negative connotations, then you’re being a bit ageist yourself.’ And there is something to be said of the medical profession's classification of the term, as one commenter noted, ‘Yes, as far as the medical profession is concerned over 60s are elderly, at that age, you don't “trip over” you “have a fall” and can be referred to the geriatric nurse for help with balance.’

Despite this, the feeling of shock when confronted with the term 'elderly' is echoed throughout the comments. One user recounted being classified as 'elderly moderately frail' despite an active lifestyle, questioning the wide net cast by this particular term when applied to anyone over 65: ‘I was most offended.’

Others shared their experiences with age-based classifications, such as being termed a 'Prim Mid.' at 25 during their first pregnancy or the user who has recently turned 71, stating that they now feel ‘a bit more grown up and I am now in the elderly pigeonhole.’

The sentiment of embracing age is shared by some, ‘I’m loving growing old. I nearly didn’t’, while another user proudly wore a T-shirt that declared their ‘Geriatric Delinquent’ status.

There are those who prefer alternative terms, with one user preferring 'old' instead of the ‘horrid word’ elderly, while another explained that they were labelled a ‘young 70-year-old’ by their son-in-law.

Finally, a user shared their story about being called ‘old’ when becoming a mother at the age of 31 and later at 35, showing that age and perception are intertwined in multiple aspects of life and that being a 'naughty nanny' at 65, complete with an iPad and wine, serves as yet another example of breaking age-based stereotypes!

Evidently, the lively discussion surrounding the term 'elderly' and what it means to embrace this stage of life demonstrates just how diverse our perceptions of age can be. Are you offended by the term 'elderly', or do you wear it with pride? Be sure to share your thoughts and opinions with us below in the comments, on this ever-evolving conversation. We think it’s a fascinating one!

Sponsored
In a recent, fascinating discussion on the popular forum GransNet, one user shared her experience of being referred to as an 'elderly lady' by her doctor, despite considering herself to be ‘modern and non-grey-haired woman’. This sparked a vibrant discussion among users as they navigated the delicate issue of age and what it means to be considered 'elderly'. We're diving into the conversation and sharing varying opinions about ageing and self-perception. We’d love to know what your take is in the comment section below!

View attachment 17354
Are you offended by the term ‘elderly’ or are you embracing it? Image source: Shutterstock.

One user joked, ‘Personally I’m not elderly (73) but I do see a lot of elderly people about!’ while another admitted, ‘I struggle progressing to elderly though my children could be regarded as such now I think about it. I wear jeans for heaven's sake!’ Clearly, the feeling of youth is not dictated by numbers alone.

One user shared that at age 93, their neighbour did not appreciate being referred to as elderly by her GP. Is that fair enough? Another user stated, ‘I'm not old at 80 either, it's the new 60 so far as I'm concerned.’ Though, there are reminders that age is not just a state of mind, with one user noting the medical implications, ‘In medical physiological terms you are one of the elderly, I’m afraid. If you were middle-aged that would mean living till you were 150!’

Others attempted to reclaim the term altogether, suggesting that badges with ‘Old and Proud’ be made, while another user shared their delight at being elderly: ‘I will claim any discount that being elderly allows and there are quite a lot.’ We couldn’t agree more. 😉

Diving deeper, some users questioned the subjective nature of what it means to be elderly, ‘If you think “elderly” is in some way a derogatory term with negative connotations, then you’re being a bit ageist yourself.’ And there is something to be said of the medical profession's classification of the term, as one commenter noted, ‘Yes, as far as the medical profession is concerned over 60s are elderly, at that age, you don't “trip over” you “have a fall” and can be referred to the geriatric nurse for help with balance.’

Despite this, the feeling of shock when confronted with the term 'elderly' is echoed throughout the comments. One user recounted being classified as 'elderly moderately frail' despite an active lifestyle, questioning the wide net cast by this particular term when applied to anyone over 65: ‘I was most offended.’

Others shared their experiences with age-based classifications, such as being termed a 'Prim Mid.' at 25 during their first pregnancy or the user who has recently turned 71, stating that they now feel ‘a bit more grown up and I am now in the elderly pigeonhole.’

The sentiment of embracing age is shared by some, ‘I’m loving growing old. I nearly didn’t’, while another user proudly wore a T-shirt that declared their ‘Geriatric Delinquent’ status.

There are those who prefer alternative terms, with one user preferring 'old' instead of the ‘horrid word’ elderly, while another explained that they were labelled a ‘young 70-year-old’ by their son-in-law.

Finally, a user shared their story about being called ‘old’ when becoming a mother at the age of 31 and later at 35, showing that age and perception are intertwined in multiple aspects of life and that being a 'naughty nanny' at 65, complete with an iPad and wine, serves as yet another example of breaking age-based stereotypes!

Evidently, the lively discussion surrounding the term 'elderly' and what it means to embrace this stage of life demonstrates just how diverse our perceptions of age can be. Are you offended by the term 'elderly', or do you wear it with pride? Be sure to share your thoughts and opinions with us below in the comments, on this ever-evolving conversation. We think it’s a fascinating one!

Years ago I was Nicknamed 'Wrinkles' by my second son when he was in his pre teens, years later when I became Internet interested friends of my two daughters got me onto a group on MIRC so I needed a nick and as the group was 40sPlus I used Wrinkles lol so eventually asked Brat Son lol why Wrinkles and he informed me that his school friends back then used to tell him that he had a really young Mum and he got embarrassed as all his friends folks were about 10yrs older than myself, oh dear poor boy hehehe, it was the first time I had been referred to as young for years, eg: on my 16th a cabbie asked me if it was my 21st. (Yikes) so age really hasn't worried me that much, because I have had friends from my early years who never made to their 20's and so on over the years. I am proud to 73 and each wrinkle is part of my story in my life's book, like in Foster and Allens' song ... My face is a well written page Maggie and life all alone is the Pen. But Elderly well truth being I am not young of age, I am not middle aged, but I am not old like Mum was at 94, so how to define a jean wearing person who is not young Elderly it's the Truth and it cannot be hid from, and I am all for truth even when it hurts because Truth Matters so very very much. Toni

Reactions: Marj53
I agree with the comments that I like being still here. I am 70 coming up this year and I think about my poor mum who passed at 65. I think I would rather be called senior than elderly. Not that I feel either. 😁😁😁

Sometimes people ask me how old I am. My answer is 83 which is my age. Most of the time I get a second look and am told "Tjee I thought you were 65 or so" I am lucky not to have wrinkles, hence the misconception. But I don't care if I am old, mature, elderly, or any other word depicting my age. I am 83 and hopefully, turn 84 this year. I am proud to be 83 and enjoy my age with my 83-year-OLD wife. How good is that? We celebrated our 65 years wedding anniversary in Feb this year, we started young and finish old..OK so what? Life is too good to worry about what age you are. "FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS" you bet I am.

I don't like the term 'elderly' and prefer to be called old.

I prefer Senior to elderly as I don’t fit into that mould (yet). I don’t like being invisible or given a label because of my age (77) and don’t look it or think or dress ‘old’. Realistically yes I am ‘getting on’ but feel grateful to have reached this age when many haven’t.

At 85 and 87 my husband and I are elderly. We both have our faculties and can do and go anywhere we like. Thank goodness. The only thing we require from everyone is respect.