‘Am I Really Elderly?’ Seniors Weigh in on the Age Debate

In a recent, fascinating discussion on the popular forum GransNet, one user shared her experience of being referred to as an 'elderly lady' by her doctor, despite considering herself to be ‘modern and non-grey-haired woman’. This sparked a vibrant discussion among users as they navigated the delicate issue of age and what it means to be considered 'elderly'. We're diving into the conversation and sharing varying opinions about ageing and self-perception. We’d love to know what your take is in the comment section below!

shutterstock_1805972035.jpg
Are you offended by the term ‘elderly’ or are you embracing it? Image source: Shutterstock.

One user joked, ‘Personally I’m not elderly (73) but I do see a lot of elderly people about!’ while another admitted, ‘I struggle progressing to elderly though my children could be regarded as such now I think about it. I wear jeans for heaven's sake!’ Clearly, the feeling of youth is not dictated by numbers alone.

One user shared that at age 93, their neighbour did not appreciate being referred to as elderly by her GP. Is that fair enough? Another user stated, ‘I'm not old at 80 either, it's the new 60 so far as I'm concerned.’ Though, there are reminders that age is not just a state of mind, with one user noting the medical implications, ‘In medical physiological terms you are one of the elderly, I’m afraid. If you were middle-aged that would mean living till you were 150!’

Others attempted to reclaim the term altogether, suggesting that badges with ‘Old and Proud’ be made, while another user shared their delight at being elderly: ‘I will claim any discount that being elderly allows and there are quite a lot.’ We couldn’t agree more. 😉

Diving deeper, some users questioned the subjective nature of what it means to be elderly, ‘If you think “elderly” is in some way a derogatory term with negative connotations, then you’re being a bit ageist yourself.’ And there is something to be said of the medical profession's classification of the term, as one commenter noted, ‘Yes, as far as the medical profession is concerned over 60s are elderly, at that age, you don't “trip over” you “have a fall” and can be referred to the geriatric nurse for help with balance.’

Despite this, the feeling of shock when confronted with the term 'elderly' is echoed throughout the comments. One user recounted being classified as 'elderly moderately frail' despite an active lifestyle, questioning the wide net cast by this particular term when applied to anyone over 65: ‘I was most offended.’

Others shared their experiences with age-based classifications, such as being termed a 'Prim Mid.' at 25 during their first pregnancy or the user who has recently turned 71, stating that they now feel ‘a bit more grown up and I am now in the elderly pigeonhole.’

The sentiment of embracing age is shared by some, ‘I’m loving growing old. I nearly didn’t’, while another user proudly wore a T-shirt that declared their ‘Geriatric Delinquent’ status.

There are those who prefer alternative terms, with one user preferring 'old' instead of the ‘horrid word’ elderly, while another explained that they were labelled a ‘young 70-year-old’ by their son-in-law.

Finally, a user shared their story about being called ‘old’ when becoming a mother at the age of 31 and later at 35, showing that age and perception are intertwined in multiple aspects of life and that being a 'naughty nanny' at 65, complete with an iPad and wine, serves as yet another example of breaking age-based stereotypes!

Evidently, the lively discussion surrounding the term 'elderly' and what it means to embrace this stage of life demonstrates just how diverse our perceptions of age can be. Are you offended by the term 'elderly', or do you wear it with pride? Be sure to share your thoughts and opinions with us below in the comments, on this ever-evolving conversation. We think it’s a fascinating one!

Sponsored
I have mixed reactions. Although of pension age I am a regular at the gym. I still feel 24yo (probably stronger now than I was then). The mirror at home obviously lies because I don't look THAT old. But the side-glances at mirrors in shopping centres has me reacting "why is that old woman looking at me?" The logical brain says, yes, I am elderly. My age-perception brain says: it is just a number. Reality is I am elderly, but I don't ever dwell on the issue, but just get ready to head back to the gym.

I have mixed reactions. Although of pension age I am a regular at the gym. I still feel 24yo (probably stronger now than I was then). The mirror at home obviously lies because I don't look THAT old. But the side-glances at mirrors in shopping centres has me reacting "why is that old woman looking at me?" The logical brain says, yes, I am elderly. My age-perception brain says: it is just a number. Reality is I am elderly, but I don't ever dwell on the issue, but just get ready to head back to the gym.
In a recent, fascinating discussion on the popular forum GransNet, one user shared her experience of being referred to as an 'elderly lady' by her doctor, despite considering herself to be ‘modern and non-grey-haired woman’. This sparked a vibrant discussion among users as they navigated the delicate issue of age and what it means to be considered 'elderly'. We're diving into the conversation and sharing varying opinions about ageing and self-perception. We’d love to know what your take is in the comment section below!

View attachment 17354
Are you offended by the term ‘elderly’ or are you embracing it? Image source: Shutterstock.

One user joked, ‘Personally I’m not elderly (73) but I do see a lot of elderly people about!’ while another admitted, ‘I struggle progressing to elderly though my children could be regarded as such now I think about it. I wear jeans for heaven's sake!’ Clearly, the feeling of youth is not dictated by numbers alone.

One user shared that at age 93, their neighbour did not appreciate being referred to as elderly by her GP. Is that fair enough? Another user stated, ‘I'm not old at 80 either, it's the new 60 so far as I'm concerned.’ Though, there are reminders that age is not just a state of mind, with one user noting the medical implications, ‘In medical physiological terms you are one of the elderly, I’m afraid. If you were middle-aged that would mean living till you were 150!’

Others attempted to reclaim the term altogether, suggesting that badges with ‘Old and Proud’ be made, while another user shared their delight at being elderly: ‘I will claim any discount that being elderly allows and there are quite a lot.’ We couldn’t agree more. 😉

Diving deeper, some users questioned the subjective nature of what it means to be elderly, ‘If you think “elderly” is in some way a derogatory term with negative connotations, then you’re being a bit ageist yourself.’ And there is something to be said of the medical profession's classification of the term, as one commenter noted, ‘Yes, as far as the medical profession is concerned over 60s are elderly, at that age, you don't “trip over” you “have a fall” and can be referred to the geriatric nurse for help with balance.’

Despite this, the feeling of shock when confronted with the term 'elderly' is echoed throughout the comments. One user recounted being classified as 'elderly moderately frail' despite an active lifestyle, questioning the wide net cast by this particular term when applied to anyone over 65: ‘I was most offended.’

Others shared their experiences with age-based classifications, such as being termed a 'Prim Mid.' at 25 during their first pregnancy or the user who has recently turned 71, stating that they now feel ‘a bit more grown up and I am now in the elderly pigeonhole.’

The sentiment of embracing age is shared by some, ‘I’m loving growing old. I nearly didn’t’, while another user proudly wore a T-shirt that declared their ‘Geriatric Delinquent’ status.

There are those who prefer alternative terms, with one user preferring 'old' instead of the ‘horrid word’ elderly, while another explained that they were labelled a ‘young 70-year-old’ by their son-in-law.

Finally, a user shared their story about being called ‘old’ when becoming a mother at the age of 31 and later at 35, showing that age and perception are intertwined in multiple aspects of life and that being a 'naughty nanny' at 65, complete with an iPad and wine, serves as yet another example of breaking age-based stereotypes!

Evidently, the lively discussion surrounding the term 'elderly' and what it means to embrace this stage of life demonstrates just how diverse our perceptions of age can be. Are you offended by the term 'elderly', or do you wear it with pride? Be sure to share your thoughts and opinions with us below in the comments, on this ever-evolving conversation. We think it’s a fascinating one!

My husband introduced me as his “ Old Cheese.” I was 21. John Williamson sings about some of us as “ Old Farts In Caravan Parks “ Maybe elderly doesn’t sound so bad.

When my nana was 70, the age I am now, she looked old to me. In fact, looking at photos of her at that age I still think she looked old. I think we dress and act younger now than a couple of generations back. An aunt used to say that she might be 60 on the outside but she was still 27 on the inside. And my mother-in-law once talked about the old lady across the road, who was the same age as her! The difference is in people’s attitudes, although of course ill health and hardship can add years to someone’s real age. I don’t feel elderly, and don’t really want to be labelled elderly. I’m just happy that I’ve made it this far, as my mother died at the age of 38.

I think I prefer being called elderly, rather than old. It seems that it is the other way round for most here, but elderly to me means you are getting older, while old means you have reached old. Anyway at 77 I have to admit I am definitely elderly, even though in my mind I still feel young.

I think the term senior or older person is a nicer way to describe us older generation. I really don’t mind what I am called as long as it is not done disrespectfully, I feel privileged enough to have reached the age I am as so many people don’t.

View attachment 17354

I am 81. Just looking at that number, I can hardly believe it. My mind and attitude are not old, or elderly. My body let me down and I use a mobility scooter, but to me it’s a go machine. My friends are now mostly 10 years younger than me and the rest have gone. As someone else mentioned, I too revel in taking advantage of all things available at a discount. Every evening I sit with a pre-dinner gin as I look through articles on my iPad. The only thing I might possibly fall over is one of my two dogs who forgets to move out if my way. I take both of my dogs for a walk with their leads clipped to my scooter as I make believe I’m competing in the Iditarod (snow racing with dogs in Canada). By the time I reach 100 I fully intend to be a nuisance to my great grand kids.

I’ve never considered myself as being “elderly” but I guess others would. I still wear jeans & modern clothes! When white sneakers came into fashion awhile ago, I bought a pair & was immediately questioned why was I wearing them with a dress? Guess what? The same person is now wearing white sneakers & few others in our group!!! Hilarious😂😂

View attachment 17354

I prefer mature
I am 81. Just looking at that number, I can hardly believe it. My mind and attitude are not old, or elderly. My body let me down and I use a mobility scooter, but to me it’s a go machine. My friends are now mostly 10 years younger than me and the rest have gone. As someone else mentioned, I too revel in taking advantage of all things available at a discount. Every evening I sit with a pre-dinner gin as I look through articles on my iPad. The only thing I might possibly fall over is one of my two dogs who forgets to move out if my way. I take both of my dogs for a walk with their leads clipped to my scooter as I make believe I’m competing in the Iditarod (snow racing with dogs in Canada). By the time I reach 100 I fully intend to be a nuisance to my great grand kids.
I prefer mature

View attachment 17354

Elderly sounds wise. I object to geriatric

I always dressed and acted young and hopefully will get that spirit back. I'm a young 61

My nan used to say 'you are as young as you feel '.

I'm determined to dress up for my daughters wedding and dance the night away including The Zorba even if I have to fill myself with drugs .

I like the title older Adults

I love it when my 16 year old granddaughter ask me to dance with them and I say I'm too old and she replies ' oh Yaya you are not old abd stop thinking you are ' bless her heart .

View attachment 17354

I am 83 years old and I do not care how or what is used. I am just bloody pleased I can be referred to and I am still breathing. Get over it we are elderly.

View attachment 17354

When anyone calls me Mister I say do not call me that it makes me feel old, I am only 94