‘$280 tissue box’: The shocking truth about the cost of basic items on luxury cruises

When you’re on a luxury cruise, you should be able to kick back, relax and pamper yourself. But imagine your surprise if you were handed a sign-off list of everyday items, complete with hefty prices?

That’s precisely what happened to holidaymakers on the Viking Sky, leaving them open-mouthed and reaching for their wallets!

The passengers aboard the vessel expected to find the usual selection of free amenities onboard their luxury cruise, including basic needs. However, they instead received a shocking price list that detailed the cost of those very same items – if guests chose to take them home!

The list was sent to them with a signature from the General Manager, and it stated: 'We hope you are enjoying your time on board Viking Sky. Your well-appointed stateroom features many delightful amenities. Should you wish to purchase any of these items or any others not included in your personal stateroom category, please see your stateroom attendant.'

Prices for the items ranged from relatively affordable to shockingly high – leaving many passengers stunned!

image2.jpg
‘Sad statement’. Passengers on board the Viking Sky cruise ship were shocked at the outrageous prices of basic amenities. Source: Facebook.

While a felt magazine bag was listed at a mere $100, the tissue box was a whopping $280. Other items on offer included bathrobes at $75, hair dryers at $65, glass tumblers at $110, and a wooden serving tray and its insert at $175 in total.

When the list was shared online by a passenger, the comments flooded in!

Many found the pricing of the tissue box, in particular, hilarious and absolutely unbelievable. Others said the prices were likely a deterrent to the thought of people stealing the items from their cabins.

'I don’t think it’s priced by quality, I think it’s priced by theft of items. The larger the price, the more it has been stolen,' one person said.

It was also generally agreed by most people that there was no need to keep said items since they have no use outside a hotel or cruise ship.

Some said that while they like the amenities in their cabins, they don’t understand why people would want to take them home. 'I am at the stage of my life where I am trying to get rid of stuff,' one joked.

'Which one of your Viking cruisers cleaned out their room when they left? I've never seen this before,' another passenger said of the prices.

The Cost of Luxury Cruises and Common Hidden Fees

On the surface, these voyages may seem like the ultimate holiday experience - stunning views, gourmet meals, pampering spa treatments and world-class entertainment. But all these pleasures surely come with a hefty price tag.

Entry-level accommodation on a luxury cruise line, like the Viking Sky, can typically run passengers anything from $8,000 to $25,000 per person, depending on the destination and time of year. And let's not forget that these prices are just for the basic fares.

image1.jpg
While an all-inclusive luxury cruise seems like a relaxing dream come true, keep your eyes peeled for any hidden costs and additional fees that you may incur. Source: Unsplash.

Holiday tours and other travel packages also usually have hidden fees. These can range from tips and internet access to excursions, laundry services, beverages not included in your fare and luxury spa treatments.

Offering an ‘all-inclusive’ experience is rare, and often the term ‘all-inclusive’ can be misleading, as it usually means your basic food and accommodation is taken care of, yet in-house services come with another price tag.

Key Takeaways

• Cruise passengers on the Viking Sky liner were shocked at the price list for standard hotel room amenities inside their cabins.
  • The most expensive item on the list, a tissue box, was priced at $280, with a throw blanket and a toothbrush holder costing $190 and $145 respectively.
  • The price list, which was signed by the General Manager, stirred disbelief amongst passengers, with some questioning the cost of the basic items.
  • Some passengers speculated that the high prices were more a deterrent against theft rather than reflecting the actual value of the items.
  • All-inclusive tours usually factor in hidden fees that cover in-house services aside from basic food and accommodation.

So members, what do you think? Have you ever experienced anything similar? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: Suzy88 and anne2162
Sponsored
When you’re on a luxury cruise, you should be able to kick back, relax and pamper yourself. But imagine your surprise if you were handed a sign-off list of everyday items, complete with hefty prices?

That’s precisely what happened to holidaymakers on the Viking Sky, leaving them open-mouthed and reaching for their wallets!

The passengers aboard the vessel expected to find the usual selection of free amenities onboard their luxury cruise, including basic needs. However, they instead received a shocking price list that detailed the cost of those very same items – if guests chose to take them home!

The list was sent to them with a signature from the General Manager, and it stated: 'We hope you are enjoying your time on board Viking Sky. Your well-appointed stateroom features many delightful amenities. Should you wish to purchase any of these items or any others not included in your personal stateroom category, please see your stateroom attendant.'

Prices for the items ranged from relatively affordable to shockingly high – leaving many passengers stunned!

View attachment 28604
‘Sad statement’. Passengers on board the Viking Sky cruise ship were shocked at the outrageous prices of basic amenities. Source: Facebook.

While a felt magazine bag was listed at a mere $100, the tissue box was a whopping $280. Other items on offer included bathrobes at $75, hair dryers at $65, glass tumblers at $110, and a wooden serving tray and its insert at $175 in total.

Many found the pricing of the tissue box, in particular, hilarious and absolutely unbelievable. Others said the prices were likely a deterrent to the thought of people stealing the items from their cabins.

'I don’t think it’s priced by quality, I think it’s priced by theft of items. The larger the price, the more it has been stolen,' one person said.

It was also generally agreed by most people that there was no need to keep said items since they have no use outside a hotel or cruise ship.

Some said that while they like the amenities in their cabins, they don’t understand why people would want to take them home. 'I am at the stage of my life where I am trying to get rid of stuff,' one joked.

'Which one of your Viking cruisers cleaned out their room when they left? I've never seen this before,' another passenger said of the prices.

On the surface, these voyages may seem like the ultimate holiday experience - stunning views, gourmet meals, pampering spa treatments and world-class entertainment. But all these pleasures surely come with a hefty price tag.

Entry-level accommodation on a luxury cruise line, like the Viking Sky, can typically run passengers anything from $8,000 to $25,000 per person, depending on the destination and time of year. And let's not forget that these prices are just for the basic fares.

View attachment 28605
While an all-inclusive luxury cruise seems like a relaxing dream come true, keep your eyes peeled for any hidden costs and additional fees that you may incur. Source: Unsplash.

Holiday tours and other travel packages also usually have hidden fees. These can range from tips and internet access to excursions, laundry services, beverages not included in your fare and luxury spa treatments.

Offering an ‘all-inclusive’ experience is rare, and often the term ‘all-inclusive’ can be misleading, as it usually means your basic food and accommodation is taken care of, yet in-house services come with another price tag.

Key Takeaways

• Cruise passengers on the Viking Sky liner were shocked at the price list for standard hotel room amenities inside their cabins.
  • The most expensive item on the list, a tissue box, was priced at $280, with a throw blanket and a toothbrush holder costing $190 and $145 respectively.
  • The price list, which was signed by the General Manager, stirred disbelief amongst passengers, with some questioning the cost of the basic items.
  • Some passengers speculated that the high prices were more a deterrent against theft rather than reflecting the actual value of the items.
  • All-inclusive tours usually factor in hidden fees that cover in-house services aside from basic food and accommodation.

So members, what do you think? Have you ever experienced anything similar? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
All I can say is thank you for letting me know. Never will I travel with

View attachment 28604

View attachment 28605

Key Takeaways

Thank you for letting me know this. I shall never travel with Viking Star or any company that charge such ridiculous prices

Don't forget it is only a hefty price of you buy or pinch them, I've never seen this before, BUT I can't afford to cruise with Viking just Princess and we get bags of things given to us every cruise and I buy an extra suit case to put them in to get them home.

Reactions: Trudi

View attachment 28604

View attachment 28605

Key Takeaways

I have done 15 cruises and about to embark on number 16 in a few weeks. It is a case of buyer beware. The company with which I am cruising charge in USD so what appears to be reasonably priced ends up very expensive. Gratuities alone come to around $AU 20 per day. Gets expensive when you multiply it by the number of days you are cruising - and that is per person, not per cabin. Spa treatments are exorbitant, shore excursions very pricey, then add a few drinks. Do your research before committing so as to not have any nasty surprises.

Reactions: 52KID
I have done 15 cruises and about to embark on number 16 in a few weeks. It is a case of buyer beware. The company with which I am cruising charge in USD so what appears to be reasonably priced ends up very expensive. Gratuities alone come to around $AU 20 per day. Gets expensive when you multiply it by the number of days you are cruising - and that is per person, not per cabin. Spa treatments are exorbitant, shore excursions very pricey, then add a few drinks. Do your research before committing so as to not have any nasty surprises.
You must be flying over seas because if you leave from Australia and end here as well NO Gratuities, my partner and I pick up a bottle of wine each at each port, I book all trips before we leave and my opinion spa waste of time.

Reactions: Trudi
Went on the Royal Caribbean last March. Couldn’t believe it when I found out that there was not a public laundry . Have to put laundress in a bag , get it done for you, and pay the fee. First time I’d come across it. Found out that my daughter has booked us on it again for Christmas. Went and got me a travel, peg less clothes line. 🤣

View attachment 28604

View attachment 28605

Key Takeaways

Gordon Bennet when I worked on cruise liners if I was caught fregrant delecto with a passenger it was a charge of interfering with cargo fine ten shilling?.

Last thing I want to do is go on a cruise. I personally can't think of anything I would like to do less
My ex (2nd) was a crayfisherman, I couldn't even stand on the deck when the boat was in the marina without feeling seasick.
Always have to travel in the front seat of the car and make sure I don't forget the travel sickness pills when going on a plane.

• Sad
Last thing I want to do is go on a cruise. I personally can't think of anything I would like to do less
My ex (2nd) was a crayfisherman, I couldn't even stand on the deck when the boat was in the marina without feeling seasick.
Always have to travel in the front seat of the car and make sure I don't forget the travel sickness pills when going on a plane.
Acupuncture fixes that, cruising you don't know what you are missing out on till you've tried it, unpack once, someone else cooks, another someone else does your washing, and another someone else does your room, what's not to LOVE, just the best way to travel, oh yeh BIG ships have stabilisers, hardly any movement, I get the BEST sleep EVER.

As exercises in Applied Ghastliness go, Cruise Liner travel would have to be right up there in the Top Five.
People happily making pigs of themselves, breakfast, lunch and dinner and scrambling for every perceived freebie; some would take your virginity if it's not nailed in.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
As exercises in Applied Ghastliness go, Cruise Liner travel would have to be right up there in the Top Five.
People happily making pigs of themselves, breakfast, lunch and dinner and scrambling for every perceived freebie; some would take your virginity if it's not nailed in.
So you have cruised a lot to know the facts, well the facts are yes there are a few people like you have described, BUT the majority of people are just there to have a GREAT holiday and enjoy cruising because of how absolutely relaxing it is.