SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
‘’Stepfather’ blasted for defending 10 year old daughter from fat-shaming grandma’

'Stepfather' blasted for defending 10-year-old daughter from fat-shaming grandma’

A father has taken to Reddit to share his anger at his wife's mother after she allegedly fat-shamed their 10-year-old daughter.

The man, who is the stepfather to the girl, says he was livid when he found out what had happened and called the grandmother to confront her.

However, his wife was unhappy with how he handled the situation and has now told him that he needs to apologise to her mother.

People in the comments are divided, with some saying the stepfather was right to defend his daughter and others saying he should have handled the situation differently.

"My wife and I have been together for eight years, married for five, and we have two daughters. It doesn’t really matter, but given the situation of things, the six y/o is biologically mine while the 10 y/o is not," the man wrote in his post.

He goes on to say that he noticed his daughter had been acting differently in recent weeks, and that she finally confided in him that her grandmother had been making comments about her body and that she was not allowed to eat treats in their grandparents’ home.

"She explained how she is forbidding her any treats, making comments about her body. She’s only allowed vegetables and chicken. But gives the six y/o whatever she wants while saying to the 10 y/o, 'When you lose weight, you can enjoy these things in moderation,'" he wrote.

According to the man, the grandparents brought in doughnuts one morning, and the 10-year-old snuck one before going to their room. When the grandmother came in, she found her shoving it behind the bed after taking a bite. She flipped on her for sneaking food and making a mess.

shutterstock_427211224.jpg
Credits: Shutterstock

The man says he was so angry that he left the kids in the car and called the grandmother from the car park to confront her.

“I was so livid, I left the kids in the truck, called her from the car park and ripped into her. I will admit, I was pissed and aggressive with my tone and words. The Grandmother’s only response was that she has had to take matters into her own hands because I as the ‘stepfather’ do not care about her granddaughter’s health,” he wrote.

He then told his wife that their daughters would no longer be allowed to spend the night at their grandparents' house unsupervised. On the other hand, his wife was dissatisfied with how he handled the situation and has now asked him to apologise to her mother.

“I told my wife no more unsupervised overnight stays at their house. My wife said that was totally unreasonable, and I needed to apologise to her mother for my ‘explosive’ behaviour over the phone. I’m man enough to apologise for my tone, but not the plan of action to protect the child,” he wrote.

Many Reddit users weighed in with their opinions.

“You’re not in the wrong here. That little girl is lucky to have you. Her mother and grandmother are only going to succeed in giving that child body issues and an eating disorder if they keep this up,” one person wrote.

“My grandmother abused my mother. Called her fat, physically and mentally abused her and put her on speed for her to lose weight. 55 years later, my mother has been in ICU 3xs (currently in) due to her bulimia brought on by her mother's food and weight-related abuse. Mental, emotional, and body dysmorphic abuse has long-term effects on people and their families. Protect your children,” another person wrote.

“So OP, thank you for sticking up for your daughter. Keep fighting for her. Odds are your wife, growing up with that as her mother, heard a lot of the same things growing up and doesn’t understand how toxic they are,” another person wrote.

What do you think? Should the stepfather have handled the situation differently? Let us know in the comments.

Last edited:
'Stepfather' blasted for defending 10-year-old daughter from fat-shaming grandma’

A father has taken to Reddit to share his anger at his wife's mother after she allegedly fat-shamed their 10-year-old daughter.

The man, who is the stepfather to the girl, says he was livid when he found out what had happened and called the grandmother to confront her.

However, his wife was unhappy with how he handled the situation and has now told him that he needs to apologise to her mother.

People in the comments are divided, with some saying the stepfather was right to defend his daughter and others saying he should have handled the situation differently.

"My wife and I have been together for eight years, married for five, and we have two daughters. It doesn’t really matter, but given the situation of things, the six y/o is biologically mine while the 10 y/o is not," the man wrote in his post.

He goes on to say that he noticed his daughter had been acting differently in recent weeks, and that she finally confided in him that her grandmother had been making comments about her body and that she was not allowed to eat treats in their grandparents’ home.

"She explained how she is forbidding her any treats, making comments about her body. She’s only allowed vegetables and chicken. But gives the six y/o whatever she wants while saying to the 10 y/o, 'When you lose weight, you can enjoy these things in moderation,'" he wrote.

According to the man, the grandparents brought in doughnuts one morning, and the 10-year-old snuck one before going to their room. When the grandmother came in, she found her shoving it behind the bed after taking a bite. She flipped on her for sneaking food and making a mess.

View attachment 3035
Credits: Shutterstock

The man says he was so angry that he left the kids in the car and called the grandmother from the car park to confront her.

“I was so livid, I left the kids in the truck, called her from the car park and ripped into her. I will admit, I was pissed and aggressive with my tone and words. The Grandmother’s only response was that she has had to take matters into her own hands because I as the ‘stepfather’ do not care about her granddaughter’s health,” he wrote.

He then told his wife that their daughters would no longer be allowed to spend the night at their grandparents' house unsupervised. On the other hand, his wife was dissatisfied with how he handled the situation and has now asked him to apologise to her mother.

“I told my wife no more unsupervised overnight stays at their house. My wife said that was totally unreasonable, and I needed to apologise to her mother for my ‘explosive’ behaviour over the phone. I’m man enough to apologise for my tone, but not the plan of action to protect the child,” he wrote.

Many Reddit users weighed in with their opinions.

“You’re not in the wrong here. That little girl is lucky to have you. Her mother and grandmother are only going to succeed in giving that child body issues and an eating disorder if they keep this up,” one person wrote.

“My grandmother abused my mother. Called her fat, physically and mentally abused her and put her on speed for her to lose weight. 55 years later, my mother has been in ICU 3xs (currently in) due to her bulimia brought on by her mother's food and weight-related abuse. Mental, emotional, and body dysmorphic abuse has long-term effects on people and their families. Protect your children,” another person wrote.

“So OP, thank you for sticking up for your daughter. Keep fighting for her. Odds are your wife, growing up with that as her mother, heard a lot of the same things growing up and doesn’t understand how toxic they are,” another person wrote.

What do you think? Should the stepfather have handled the situation differently? Let us know in the comments.
As I understand it, if the stepdaughter has been in your care for twelve months you are legally responsible for her. So well done for sticking up for her, all children no matter how old are in our care

Reactions: DrChip and Ricci
Simple...he was being her dad. And how dare the grandmother treat her like that.

If she has a weight problem then the grandmother should have approached her parents.
If the grandmother is so concern about weight problems why buy donuts???

When my daughter had a weight problem I never said anything about her weight , I said let's see if we can all get more healthy .

AS I am the one who shops cut out junk food .

My daughter didn't feel it was her but our whole family getting healthy

Comments from this grandmother is a big factor in eating disorders

Reactions: DrChip and Ricci