AFL legend ditches Seven for Nine
- Replies 10
Leigh Matthews, a well-known name in the Australian Football League (AFL) scene, has made a surprising career move that has left fans and industry insiders alike in shock.
The footy legend, who has been a staple on Channel Seven since the 1990s, has decided to part ways with his long-time network and join rival Channel Nine.
Matthews, 71, has been a prominent figure in the AFL world, both on and off the field. His illustrious career includes winning four premierships as a coach and another four as a player.
His expert analysis and insights have made him a sought-after commentator and panellist.

Channel Nine has seized this opportunity to bring Matthews' expertise to their network. According to News Corp, Matthews will be the star of Nine's new Sunday night football show. He will be joined by Jimmy Bartell, a former AFL player, and Tom Morris, a respected football reporter.
The new show, which will be streamed live on 9Now at 7:30 pm on Sundays, will also be aired on Nine's main channel after the popular news program, 60 Minutes.
Matthews' departure from Channel Seven marks the end of an era. He has been a familiar face on the network since the 1990s, providing commentary and analysis for countless games. His move to Channel Nine is a significant shift in the Australian sports broadcasting landscape.
However, Matthews' career hasn't been without controversy.
Known for his aggressive style as a player from 1969 to 1985, Matthews was involved in several infamous incidents on the field. His king hits on Barrie Cable, Peter Giles, and Stuart Trott are still remembered today.
One such incident, which resulted in Geelong's Neville Bruns suffering a broken jaw, led to Matthews being convicted of assault.
Source: YouTube/AFL
Despite these incidents, Matthews has always maintained that physicality was part and parcel of the game.
In an interview with 3AW last year, he said, 'When I played, you sort of just took it on the chin that it's a dangerous game, and you just take the hope that it doesn't affect you too badly at the time...or later in life.'
'Ten years ago, if we said if a player gets [a] concussion, not necessarily knocked out, he won't play for 12 days, that was unfathomable.’
'The game is more dangerous [despite the AFL] trying to make it safer because the athletes are so fit and powerful they are like gladiators running around the field, running into each other at high speed.'
What are your thoughts on this major career move? Do you think Matthews will be a good fit for Channel Nine? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
The footy legend, who has been a staple on Channel Seven since the 1990s, has decided to part ways with his long-time network and join rival Channel Nine.
Matthews, 71, has been a prominent figure in the AFL world, both on and off the field. His illustrious career includes winning four premierships as a coach and another four as a player.
His expert analysis and insights have made him a sought-after commentator and panellist.

Matthews had a storied AFL career prior to his switch to broadcasting. Image Credit: YouTube / elchubenibre
Channel Nine has seized this opportunity to bring Matthews' expertise to their network. According to News Corp, Matthews will be the star of Nine's new Sunday night football show. He will be joined by Jimmy Bartell, a former AFL player, and Tom Morris, a respected football reporter.
The new show, which will be streamed live on 9Now at 7:30 pm on Sundays, will also be aired on Nine's main channel after the popular news program, 60 Minutes.
Matthews' departure from Channel Seven marks the end of an era. He has been a familiar face on the network since the 1990s, providing commentary and analysis for countless games. His move to Channel Nine is a significant shift in the Australian sports broadcasting landscape.
However, Matthews' career hasn't been without controversy.
Known for his aggressive style as a player from 1969 to 1985, Matthews was involved in several infamous incidents on the field. His king hits on Barrie Cable, Peter Giles, and Stuart Trott are still remembered today.
One such incident, which resulted in Geelong's Neville Bruns suffering a broken jaw, led to Matthews being convicted of assault.
Source: YouTube/AFL
Despite these incidents, Matthews has always maintained that physicality was part and parcel of the game.
In an interview with 3AW last year, he said, 'When I played, you sort of just took it on the chin that it's a dangerous game, and you just take the hope that it doesn't affect you too badly at the time...or later in life.'
'Ten years ago, if we said if a player gets [a] concussion, not necessarily knocked out, he won't play for 12 days, that was unfathomable.’
'The game is more dangerous [despite the AFL] trying to make it safer because the athletes are so fit and powerful they are like gladiators running around the field, running into each other at high speed.'
Key Takeaways
- Leigh Matthews has made a significant career move from Channel Seven to Channel Nine.
- After being a familiar face on Seven since the 1990s, he will feature on a new Sunday night football show as the main presenter on Channel Nine.
- Matthews has a legendary status in AFL, having won four premierships as a coach and four as a player.
What are your thoughts on this major career move? Do you think Matthews will be a good fit for Channel Nine? Share your thoughts in the comments below.