Woman shares the single laundry rule to break that saves time and money!

When it comes to laundry, many have their own unique routines and habits.

However, there's one rule that most follow religiously, even though it might cost time and money.

But what if breaking this rule could be beneficial?

9Honey Living Editor Rachel Galvin shared her laundry trick to save time and money by breaking this instruction.

‘I will follow instructions like cold water only, dry flat and shape after washing, but there is one rule I choose to break knowing it could have consequences,’ she said.

compressed-shutterstock_680883907.jpeg
Rachel shared the laundry rule she broke to save time and money. Credit: Shutterstock

‘That rule is “hand wash only”.’

‘If you were to follow this rule to the letter, you'd likely find yourself spending a significant amount of time at the sink, scrubbing away at your delicate garments.’

While it's important to treat delicate items with care, many of them can actually withstand a gentle machine wash.

The key, according to Rachel, is to use your judgment.

‘Using my judgement based on what clothes are made of, how delicate they look, how much they cost and how new they are, I will decide whether they can go in a delicate cycle or if I really do have to hand wash them,’ she said.

‘If it's something that looks a little delicate but could probably withstand a gentle cycle, I'll pop it in a garment bag and then add with other delicate items to the washing machine.’

While this might mean that your machine is only a quarter or a third full, it's worth noting that hand washing each item individually would likely use just as much, if not more, water.

For new delicate items, Rachel thought it might be worth hand washing them initially, especially if they're items like jumpers that can be worn multiple times before needing a wash.

However, once she had an item for a while and it's proven its durability, she would take a gamble and give it a go in the washing machine.

‘So far, I haven't noticed any problems with my clothes and the only things that look a bit worn out or have started pilling are old anyway,’ she explained.

‘I've even done an absolute no-no and hung some knitwear on the line (not really heavy, thick knitwear, of course).’

‘For the most part, I'll drape this over a few lines so that it is partially flat and peg the underarms so it doesn't fall off or fly away.’

This approach might sound risky, but it's worth remembering that clothing labels often err on caution.

If you ‘push the boundaries’ a little, you could save yourself significant time and energy.

Plus, you could also save money by getting more wear out of the clothes you already own.

Of course, Rachel said it’s important to remember that this method involves a degree of trial and error.

‘With a bit of trial and error, you'll likely find you come up with your own system for making laundry duties that little bit easier, whether it's not always hand washing or ditching the iron,’ she said.

‘Just keep in mind that any time you don't follow instructions listed on a product, there is the chance you could damage it and that you do so at your own risk.’

In a similar story, a mum shared her innovative laundry routine that could revolutionise your approach to this household task.

The mum shared that her routine reduced her laundry-related stress while encouraging her kids to take responsibility for their stuff. Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• 9Honey Living Editor Rachel Gavin chose to break the 'hand wash only' rule for certain clothes based on their judgment of the item's material, delicacy, cost, and age.
  • By assessing the clothes' suitability, Rachel opted for a delicate machine wash cycle, often using a garment bag, instead of hand washing to save time and water.
  • Rachel has not noticed significant damage to their clothes by machine washing items typically recommended for hand washing, though she recognised they are taking a risk by doing so.
  • This approach to laundry is suggested as a time and money-saving method, with an acknowledgement that there is always a potential risk of damaging clothes when not strictly following care instructions.
What are your thoughts on this laundry trick? Have you ever dared to break the 'hand wash only' rule? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Maybe I have too much time on my hands 🙌
But if it says “handwashing only”, then that’s how it is washed….I also wash everything (either in the machine or handwashing) inside out!!!

Handwash only is put on the tag so protect the manufacturer in case you put your garment in a rough cycle in the machine & it is damaged.

I have not handwashed anything in decades & that includes hand knitted woollen (not acrylic) jumpers & cardigans all without a problem.

Sometimes I will stop the machine cycle & remove a very lightweight top & just rinse it & hang it without wringing to prevent creases but this is a personal choice & probably quite unnecessary.

Yep, I do exactly that too. Learnt lots of tricks working in a dry cleaners. The only thing I won't mess with is woollen items. Jiggle them too much and all is lost especially, hand knits.