Unlock secret tech discounts with this weird trick—here's what everyone should know!

In the age of savvy shopping and bargain hunting, people always seek ways to stretch their dollars further, especially regarding technology.

Whether upgrading your home entertainment system, buying a new smartphone, or looking for the latest kitchen gadget, getting the best deal can make all the difference to your budget.

This one shopper was shocked to learn this one trick to score big discounts at tech stores that many people have been doing for years!

The secret? It's as simple as asking the salesperson, ‘Is this the best price?’

This question has the potential to unlock discounts at popular Aussie tech stores such as JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman, and Bing Lee.

It's a strategy that's been under our noses for years, but not everyone has been in on the secret.

photo_20240430_130426_0000.png
Shoppers are surprised to discover that they can ask JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman, and Bing Lee if they can pay below the listed price. Image Source: Facebook

A Sydney shopper, Jillie Clark, recently caught the internet’s attention when she shared her disbelief upon learning that the listed price isn't necessarily the final price at these electronic retailers.

In a video posted online, Jillie expressed her shock and said, ‘They're trying to tell me that if you go into a Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi [or] Bing Lee, the price that an item is advertised for is not the price you have to pay.’

'I was like...sorry? I've never heard this before! There's no…way this is general knowledge.’

‘Am I the (only) i**** that's paying full price for things?’ she added.

The revelation has shocked many shoppers, with the video amassing over 60,000 views and sparking a flurry of comments.

Some viewers were just as surprised as Jillie. One viewer commented, ‘Okay I did not know.’

‘What? Nope didn't know this,’ another commented.

A third viewer commented, ‘What? No way this is general knowledge, I had no clue.’

For others, this tactic has been a go-to method for scoring deals for years.

‘Yes, it's true! We did it with a TV recently,’ one commenter shared.

Another admitted, ‘Only know this because my dad does it; I'm too scared to (haggle).’

Retail employees have even chimed in on the conversation.

One Harvey Norman worker stated, ‘If you're really nice, I'll give you a discount without asking. But if a customer is rude, I'll make them pay the ticket price.’

An ex-JB Hi-Fi employee confirmed, ‘We typically try not to reduce the price unless it's a price match; we can only reduce it to a certain price. If we put it at the lowest price, we don't make [a profit].’

You can watch Jillie’s video below.

Source: TikTok / @jillie_clarkk

Another savvy shopper has shared a trick for scoring tech from these stores at the best prices, involving cleverly using their price-matching policies! You can read about it here.

Are you excited to start planning your next visit to one of these tech stores? Before your visit, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with your rights.

A recent article revealed that these stores have been accused of allegedly tricking customers into paying more. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney shopper, Jillie Clark, shared a discount tip on social media that many Australian customers were unaware of, which involves asking for a better price at electronic retailers.
  • The tip is to ask the salesperson, 'Is this the best price?' to potentially receive a discount on the purchased item.
  • Some customers and employees confirmed the strategy works, with anecdotes of successful haggling at stores like JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman, and Bing Lee.
  • The reaction to the video was mixed, with some expressing surprise that they didn't know this trick, while others, including store employees, shared that it is a common practice.
Have you or anyone you know tried this trick before? Did it work for you? Share your stories in the comments below!

Reactions: bluetang and Liag
Sponsored
I always ask, "What's the best you can do?". Sometimes instead of a discount, I get extra Product Care or something else, especially when they can't take any more off the price.

Reactions: Jennie
We buy most of our electronics at Good Guys and they always give us a better price.
Wouldn't shop at Harvey Norman if you paid me to though, avoid them like the plaque. Don't like their practices.

I'm the same, I never pay full asking price.
A couple of years ago, when I was moving home I bought a new oven, range hood, dishwasher, fridge, washer and dryer combo from Good Guys.
All of these items were already on sale, but I still asked for best price and saved another $200 and then I asked for free delivery, which I also got.
Always ask, you've got nothing to loose and a lot to save.

🤣🤣🤣omg I see why she needs the discounts...to cover the high maintenance on herself...🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: LeahI
I'm the same, I never pay full asking price.
A couple of years ago, when I was moving home I bought a new oven, range hood, dishwasher, fridge, washer and dryer combo from Good Guys.
All of these items were already on sale, but I still asked for best price and saved another $200 and then I asked for free delivery, which I also got.
Always ask, you've got nothing to loose and a lot to save.
About 15 years ago, Harvey Noman South Nowra had a top line Onkyo receiver discounted from $2899 to $2699. I rang the Warrawong store and they said they could do it for $2399. Back to the Nowra store and their offer was better still. After 8 odd phone calls, I purchased the said item for $1699 from the South Nowra store. HUGE saving!

Don't forget about the massive markups for whitegoods, electronics and tech by major retailers. A typical recommended retail priced $1000 item costs the retailer in the vicinity of $400 landed at Australian docks. A lot of room for haggling right there!

Moved to Qld in late 2011! One of the first things our kids taught us was in stores like Good Guys, JB HiFi & Harvey Norman was to barter, been doing it ever since and even in stores where they don’t, my hubby will often say, any discount on that or do you do seniors discount - if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

We have always haggled, it always embarassed our kids but I've always said " Money talks, BS walks. The so called "Good Guys" I have never bought anything from them because 15+ years ago the salesman at the store in Kotara was very rude & wouldn't haggle on the same brand cd stereo from another retailer just down the road. So I purchased the stereo for $200 less. Harvey Norman & JB hi-fi has always been good value & they haggle.

Yes, always take the other half with me when shopping for whitegoods/furniture/electrical items. He interacts well with people, so they end up talking and laughing, then they thank him for making their day happier, and will do a cheaper deal for you.

I thought most people would know about this, I have always asked for the best price and the Good guys let you know by saying pay less pay cash which means the advertised price is not the real price.

We have always haggled, it always embarassed our kids but I've always said " Money talks, BS walks. The so called "Good Guys" I have never bought anything from them because 15+ years ago the salesman at the store in Kotara was very rude & wouldn't haggle on the same brand cd stereo from another retailer just down the road. So I purchased the stereo for $200 less. Harvey Norman & JB hi-fi has always been good value & they haggle.
That's a shame. About 90% of my relevant purchases are made at the Good Guys since they have been in existence. I actually used a $30 discount voucher yesterday they gifted me for any purchase over $100.

And I wasn't aware The Good Guys have been taken over by JB Hi-Fi until six months ago. Funny thing is that their prices differ for some identical items.

JB Hi-Fi acquired The Good Guys for $870 million in November last year (2017), expanding its store footprint by 103. The combined group's store footprint now sits at 303.

Full article: https://www.crn.com.au/news/jb-hi-fi-revenue-skyrockets-after-good-guys-acquisition-470774

Had the same problem at Good Guys in Hobart but l suppose it depends who you haggle with

Been doing this for years with great success at various retailers. The other question to ask is "do you offer Seniors Discounts"? I received $100 rebate on an $800 furniture item just by asking this question. I as very pleased as it was already on special at a very good price.

Reactions: Veggiepatch