Unknown man on e-scooter hit-and-runs elderly Collingwood fan

Content warning: This article discusses physical violence against the elderly, which may be distressing to some. Reader discretion is advised.

In a distressing incident that has left the community reeling, an 81-year-old Collingwood fan was struck down by a man on an e-scooter in what has been described as a hit-and-run outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

The shocking event unfolded after an AFL game, casting a shadow over what should have been an enjoyable evening of sport.

Jessie Hatch, a dedicated supporter of the Collingwood Football Club, was making her way to Jolimont Railway Station around 11 pm on Friday, May 3, when she encountered the e-scooter rider.

According to Victoria Police, the man demanded that Jessie ‘move off the footpath’; however, Jessie, with the wisdom and assertiveness that often comes with age, ‘explained that the footpath is not for vehicles and walked around him’.

9a4b816aed1092920a66c663177b14f9ba8c6268-16x9-x0y0w2000h1125.jpg
An 81-year-old woman was reportedly struck by an e-scooter rider outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Credits: Victoria Police

Tragically, the situation escalated from there. The man reportedly rode away but then made a sudden and deliberate U-turn, allegedly striking Jessie from behind with such force that she fell and lost consciousness.

The aftermath was harrowing, with Jessie lying injured and the rider fleeing the scene, his actions witnessed by passersby who attempted to give chase but to no avail.

The suspect was last seen heading west from the Swan Street Bridge.

‘She walked between 7-10m away and this guy’s doubled back and then smashed her from behind,’ Jessie’s son, Ken, recounted.

‘Apparently, she stopped breathing for 20 seconds or so, that’s what we heard.’

Jessie now remains in the hospital, having received five stitches in her hand and undergoing further tests to assess potential damage to her spine.

From her hospital bed, Jessie expressed her disbelief and dismay at the callousness of the act, questioning the mindset of the individual who could commit such a deed.

‘Such a cowardly thing, I don't know what would have gone into his head to do that,’ she said.

‘Why would somebody do that?’

‘He should be ashamed of himself,’ Jessie added.

The family is anxiously awaiting the results of medical tests to understand the full extent of Jessie's injuries, with Ken highlighting the gravity of the situation.

‘Waiting for MRI to see if any permanent damage to her spine. It's pretty scary,’ he said.

The police launched an investigation into the incident, and Ken made a public appeal for the alleged perpetrator to take responsibility for his actions.

‘You made a mistake, you did something wrong, come forward,’ he urged.

The suspect was described as a man of average height with fair skin and a stocky build.

He has straight blonde/brown hair and grey/blue eyes and was last seen wearing thick-lensed glasses and a red jacket made of shiny, waterproof material.

The AFL community rallied around Jessie, with Collingwood legend Peter Daicos sending a heartfelt video message on behalf of the club, expressing his concern and wishing her a speedy recovery.

‘I wanted to reach out, I heard about the incident after the game,’ he said.

‘I hope you’re feeling better and I’m really looking forward to hearing that you’re back at the Collingwood games.’

‘All the best from not just myself, but the boys and importantly the Collingwood Football Club.’

‘All our love, get well soon,’ he added.

Jessie's granddaughter took to social media to share the ordeal.

‘She is now in hospital with stitches and a spinal injury,’ she wrote.

‘My father is currently travelling down to be with her and provide her some support at this time.’

‘There were some amazing people around who provided instant support and police statements, which we are truly grateful for. If anyone else has more information it would be greatly appreciated.’

‘It’s so disappointing that a game that was dedicated to violence against women has ended in such a way for our family,” the woman’s granddaughter went on,’ the granddaughter continued.

‘If you know my grandma you know that she is Collingwood Football Club’s biggest fan. She travels two hours to and from games every week.’

‘We are hoping that she will be back on her feet and attending them again in no time,’ she added.

The police have confirmed that investigations into the incident are still ongoing.

You can watch Peter Daicos’ video message to Jessie here:

Source: X / @Bwphantom

This shocking event brings attention to the vulnerability of seniors in public spaces, echoing the concerns raised in a recent incident where an elderly woman was left in critical condition after a horrific attack in a hospital.

This was then followed by another assault on an elderly man onboard a bus just a few weeks after.

These cases highlight the urgent need for greater awareness and protection for our elderly population.
Key Takeaways

• An 81-year-old woman was allegedly hit by a man on an e-scooter and injured outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
  • The man told the woman to ‘move off the footpath’ before allegedly striking her from behind, causing serious injury.
  • Police released a photo and are investigating the incident as the woman remains hospitalised with potential spinal injuries.
  • Collingwood Football Club legend Peter Daicos reached out with support, and the family urged anyone with information to come forward.
As the police continue their investigations, we at the Seniors Discount Club extend our thoughts and best wishes to Jessie Hatch for a full and swift recovery.

We also encourage anyone with information about the incident to come forward and assist in bringing the individual responsible to justice.

Sponsored
What a low life. I hope someone who knows this piece of work has the decency to give him up.
I hope they get this mongrel. I, personally , am so sick of drivers of cars and TRUCKS who have nearly caught me on a couple of occasions and so many times it's been people with mobile phones who dont watch where they are going and almost walk into me. These scooters fly down the road yet the very clever Pollies dropped our scooters to 10Ks because they thought we are incapable of handling the 12K speed they used to do. The current speed is useless if you live on a hill and fancy scooters fly past me.

Being a mobility scooter owner, I was Horrified to what happened To Jessie but I do not know if the ruling is the same in all states but here in SA you have to use a personal footpath if one is available, if caught riding on a road if footpath available leads to a fine, most people move aside to let you pass but I have come across some people where you have to be patient and wait ( in my case) to get to a pedestrian Crossing to get to the local shopping Centre.

Sometimes I throw an arm out in front of these pests, just to give them a fright. Maybe a broom handle held horizontally might stop them in their tracks....literally.

Same goes for the lycra clad twats on shared walkways.
What a good idea Veggie and you know what Bundi is like for idiots.Actually one of my pet peeves is the women who walk around with half of their boobs and bums hanging out.. If you tried it my friend with your bits you'd end up in Court.

What a good idea Veggie and you know what Bundi is like for idiots.Actually one of my pet peeves is the women who walk around with half of their boobs and bums hanging out.. If you tried it my friend with your bits you'd end up in Court.
Nah! I would be laughed out of town all the way down the Isis Highway! "Short dick man" style. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: DLHM and Macarj
Get this lowlife piece of scum, and name and shame him, and make him pay for any medical bills that this poor lady might have, and be jailed for a long time, NOT A SLAP ON THE WRIST. This country is getting to many thugs, its not like it used to be, no longer a lucky country.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
E-scooters need policing ... big time.
The selfish riders, usually don't wear helmets, don't follow road/path rules, think they are the bomb, and, must have a death wish.
I don't mind sharing a footpath with cyclists and scooter riders, however, the same applies there as does on the road. Keep to the left and make a noise if passing. It's hardly a big ask.
The person who hit the innocent lady needs locking away and his scooter scrapped before his eyes. Only someone who has ingested a mind altering substance could be so cruel. I don't get it.

• Love
Reactions: gamiry and DLHM