This Aussie state’s drivers unlock massive convenience with game-changing digital update!

In an era where our smartphones have become the Swiss Army knives of technology, carrying everything from our calendars to our cameras, one Aussie state has embraced the digital revolution in yet another aspect of daily life.

This initiative promises enhanced convenience and security and makes everyday tasks such as identity verification and vehicle rental more seamless.

Gone are the days of fretting over a forgotten wallet as you head out the door; your driver's licence can now be as mobile as you are.

Following a successful pilot program in Ballarat, the Victorian state government officially rolled out digital driving licences, a move that is set to benefit more than 4.5 million fully licensed drivers across the state.

This innovative step not only streamlines the process of carrying and presenting identification but also enhances security with features like a dynamic hologram and a timed QR code.

The digital licence system is designed with privacy in mind, allowing Victorians to control the personal information they share.

compressed-shutterstock_2450463701.jpeg
Victorian drivers can now store their licences on their smartphones with the introduction of digital driving licences. Credits: Shutterstock

Depending on the situation—whether you're interacting with law enforcement or simply proving your age at a local pub—there are three levels of information that can be disclosed: full licence details, identity (including name and address), and proof of age.

Businesses can quickly verify the information they need by scanning the QR code, which is uniquely generated for each transaction and expires after two minutes.

This ensures that data isn't left hanging around longer than necessary.

Minister for Roads and Safety, Melissa Horne, highlighted the convenience that digital licences will bring to Victorians.

‘Our Digital Driver Licences will make it easier for Victorians when they go about their day-to-day lives, whether that’s driving around, renting a car, collecting a parcel, or visiting a licensed venue,’ she explained.

This digital shift isn't limited to driver's licences either; other government-issued cards, such as Working with Children Checks, seniors cards, and fishing licences, are also entering the digital domain.

For those on learners and probationary licences, the wait won't be long, with digital access expected by 2025.

The initial trial in Ballarat, which saw over 15,000 residents test the digital system, paved the way for this statewide implementation.

To get your digital licence, simply download the myVicRoads or Service Victoria app from Google Play or the App Store.

Once you've logged in or created an account, your digital licence will be ready to use, offering a new level of convenience and security.

This shift towards digital licences is part of a broader trend of integrating technology into everyday life, particularly beneficial for older Australians who increasingly embrace digital tools.

The rollout in Victoria reflects a growing movement across the country, with similar initiatives already in place or planned in other states.

This modernisation aims to enhance convenience and security, catering to the needs of all age groups.
Key Takeaways
  • Digital driving licences are now available in Victoria, allowing drivers to carry their licences on their phones.
  • The licences feature a dynamic hologram and a timed QR code, letting Victorians choose the level of personal information they wish to share.
  • The digital licences will facilitate various everyday activities for Victorians, such as driving, renting a car, and proof of age verification.
  • Fully licensed Victorians can download their digital licence through the myVicRoads or Service Victoria app, and learners and probationary licence holders will have access by 2025.
Are you excited about the convenience of a digital licence, or do you have concerns about security and privacy? Perhaps you've already made the switch and have some first-hand experiences to share.

Let us know in the comments below, and let's navigate this digital highway together!

Sponsored
But can they promise the site will not be hacked. So many older residents still prefer not to have a smartphone. The hell with them they say
Everyone hears so much these days that everything gets hacked that it makes them nervous when the chances of it happening aren't that bad.

I've been doing all things digitally and online for many years and I believe some of my info may have ended up on the "Dark Web" from some companies that have been hacked in the past, but it all hasn't made any differenc to me. I don't even know anyone who has actually been hacked in anything they do. I'd much rather live in the modern age then be a luddite like a lot of people.

Interesting as to what is happening in PR China with its social credit system.
This is not China. Another stupid comparison. Why not compare us to Russia or North Korea, very different countries and has nothing to do with us. Anyway a social credit system is great. The good, decent citizens are treated well, get loans easier, etc, while the dropkicks don't. Fine by me.

Reactions: freedy50
Everyone hears so much these days that everything gets hacked that it makes them nervous when the chances of it happening aren't that bad.

I've been doing all things digitally and online for many years and I believe some of my info may have ended up on the "Dark Web" from some companies that have been hacked in the past, but it all hasn't made any differenc to me. I don't even know anyone who has actually been hacked in anything they do. I'd much rather live in the modern age then be a luddite like a lot of people.
And the hacking has nothing to do with mobile phones, they hack the main computers which can happen with or without a digital licence.

Just look at this nonsense on here today, no one understands the technology used so straight up it's sinister, it's about control, they want to track you.

What the hell is wrong with you people, nutters everywhere, always thinking the gov is out to get them. Guess what none of you are that special, the gov does not give a rats whether you get your milk from Coles or Woolworths, if you go to a club or which doctor you attend.

The idea of digital licences is to simplify life and make it easier for police to check the validity of your licence.

Many people don't want to carry a wallet/purse anymore, they use their phone for everything and this licence makes it much more convenient.
Also a plastic licence is just a card, your licence could be suspended, cancelled, looking at the plastic tells the cop nothing. To check they have to access the data base, this takes time, time that's not practical when doing RBT for example. With the digital licence cops can do an RBT and scan your phone, gives them an instant licence status, in turn this will help get more drivers off the road who should not be there.

A plastic card can be seen by the simplest criminal, anyone can read a card and see the details, it can be lost, stolen and seen easily. A phone licence is hidden, can be behind three levels of security if you want, fingerprint, facial for example, far, far harder for anyone to see, only the most sophisticated criminal "maybe" able to get in, and that's unlikely. Even the FBI couldn't get into an iPhone, had to go to Apple.

People, the technological age is with us, I know some of you don't understand it and you don't have to have this digital licence, it will NEVER be mandatory in your lifetime. No one is going to make everyone have a phone.

So you don't know.

I asked to explain how it works.

If you have a phone, regardless of what's installed, it's traceable to a certain degree.

So again, explain how having this App is different? Come on, give me details, you must know because you said so.
Hooray There is actually someone sensible on this site that knows what they're talking about.(y)👏

I have a telephone that makes telephone calls to others, and others make telephone calls to me.
End of story.
Some people have a car that requires you to keep it at 110 on the freeway, others have cruise control that keeps it at 110 and others have adaptive cruise control that keeps it at 110 AND stops you from running into the car in front.

CHOICES are out there, no one is making you get a digital licence.....CHOICES.

I merely suggested a future very convenient technological development. Is there any good reason why we cannot design a car windscreen to link to the internet? We could amuse ourselves flashing driving licences at each whilst driving along the freeway or maybe even play computer games on our windscreens whilst the car drives itself...............
Windscreen? I assume you mean screen inside the car. Some cars do have net access, you need a SIM card or built-in eSIM to run the screen, again, the cops can't easily scan the QR code on the data terminal inside your car and it's not much good for ID purposes when out of the car.

As a trucky,, I have remembered my licence number for years.. Just cite your licence number and their computer does the rest with no risk to any hacking of any sort..

Digital prison. Step by step we are giving all the controls to the hands we should trust. Are we?
I love a contrarian view maybe more than most. I also love the way technology is advancing. I think it a good idea that divers licences be available on smart phones as I'm very familiar and comfortable with the digital world that does indeed offer me convenience and eliminates heaps of wasted time when doing mundane chores.

I doubt very much that the simple convenience of using digital technology will lead to a dystopian type society. There's plenty of us around to ensure that doesn't happen.

A good anti-virus program will hugely mitigate the risks of hackers.

Things actually did work better and more efficiently before digital crap became available; they had to! Been there, seen that.

Just look at this nonsense on here today, no one understands the technology used so straight up it's sinister, it's about control, they want to track you.

What the hell is wrong with you people, nutters everywhere, always thinking the gov is out to get them. Guess what none of you are that special, the gov does not give a rats whether you get your milk from Coles or Woolworths, if you go to a club or which doctor you attend.

The idea of digital licences is to simplify life and make it easier for police to check the validity of your licence.

Many people don't want to carry a wallet/purse anymore, they use their phone for everything and this licence makes it much more convenient.
Also a plastic licence is just a card, your licence could be suspended, cancelled, looking at the plastic tells the cop nothing. To check they have to access the data base, this takes time, time that's not practical when doing RBT for example. With the digital licence cops can do an RBT and scan your phone, gives them an instant licence status, in turn this will help get more drivers off the road who should not be there.

A plastic card can be seen by the simplest criminal, anyone can read a card and see the details, it can be lost, stolen and seen easily. A phone licence is hidden, can be behind three levels of security if you want, fingerprint, facial for example, far, far harder for anyone to see, only the most sophisticated criminal "maybe" able to get in, and that's unlikely. Even the FBI couldn't get into an iPhone, had to go to Apple.

People, the technological age is with us, I know some of you don't understand it and you don't have to have this digital licence, it will NEVER be mandatory in your lifetime. No one is going to make everyone have a phone.

So you don't know.

I asked to explain how it works.

If you have a phone, regardless of what's installed, it's traceable to a certain degree.

So again, explain how having this App is different? Come on, give me details, you must know because you said so.
The beauty is that if you have your digital licence clearly displayed on your internet-connected windscreen and a speed camera sees you doing a couple of km/h over the speed-limit in your digitally AI-driven car it can either send a message to the car to stop, or to drive over a cliff, or simply takes some points of your social credit so you can't buy beer for a month. Which could put our traffic police out of work; do you really want that? No more dramatic Hollywood-style car chases at 140kph through the suburbs!

This is not China. Another stupid comparison. Why not compare us to Russia or North Korea, very different countries and has nothing to do with us. Anyway a social credit system is great. The good, decent citizens are treated well, get loans easier, etc, while the dropkicks don't. Fine by me.
At one time China wasn't communist; nor was Russia. Yes; if you were a good German, happy with Adolf Hitler, life was a breeze. Odd things can happen in a democracy; he was elected to power.

You can have three levels of security on your phone with this, only the most sophisticated crims can get in.......maybe.
Tell me numbnuts, how many levels of security does MediSecure, a healthcare company, have?

It was hacked this afternoon by a ransomware bug. Dealing with people's personal and sensitive health information requires a high level of system security.

Which was HACKED!

The security levels on a mere phone look a bit pissweak compared to such organisations.

Go back to your "grandiose" misguided thoughts on internet security. And I suppose you dream of electric sheep? Considering YOU are a sheeple who believes in such hogwash of whiz bang multi encrypted systems being afforded to the lowly mobile phone.

I will say it again! If a computer program or whatever can be developed, it can be just as easily dismantled. By hackers and foreign governments alike.

Things actually did work better and more efficiently before digital crap became available; they had to! Been there, seen that.
Rob44, I think from the look of your writings, you already know about the HUD's tech that I have written about here. I really do think that driving in todays world is much safer with this level of technology. I've added some stuff in case others are not aware of what is available now.

About windscreen heads-up display and how it makes driving in todays traffic safer.

HUD's (Heads-up displays) are transparent screens that project essential driving information onto the windscreen allowing drivers to access the info without taking their eyes off the road.

Traditionally, HUD's (been around for donkeys) were standalone systems relying on data from the vehicle's onboard sensors and computers. However modern HUD's can be linked to the internet offering real time updates and dynamic content that improves safety. Info like live traffic updates or weather updates.

HUD's with built in GPS can get real time maps and directions.
Some HUD's can connect to smart phones for navigation purposes etc.

The obvious safety benefits are that drivers do not have to shift their gaze from the road. HUD's can also be customised for individual preferences so you only get what you want. (hopefully not Call of Duty :cool:)

The technology bit I would like for urban driving is that Augmented Reality (AR) aspect where AR based HUD's can highlight actual road signs like speed limit signs and potential hazards in ones line of vision. (Rain might be an issue but)

Whilst I never fiddle with a display screen located to the left when driving, I can understand that some would. HUD's eliminate that gaze averting aspect of poor driving safety.

There's a few Aussie companies doing this tech thing like OBD2 Australia offering a HUD that allows drivers to see all their cars gauges easily on the cars windscreen for safer driving. Or Element14 Australia who supply car manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers with HUD's.

There are heaps of cars driving on our roads right now that have HUD's on board.

Windscreen? I assume you mean screen inside the car. Some cars do have net access, you need a SIM card or built-in eSIM to run the screen, again, the cops can't easily scan the QR code on the data terminal inside your car and it's not much good for ID purposes when out of the car.
No I meant windscreen; why not? Not today, not tomorrow, but mobile phones were something Dan Dare and Digby were using in outer space on the front page of the Eagle comic when it was 4 1/2d a week, but we did not have the technology to make them work.

Last edited:
HUD's (Heads-up displays) are transparent screens that project essential driving information onto the windscreen allowing drivers to access the info without taking their eyes off the road.
Maybe not taking their eyes "off the road" but the focus, or more specifically, depth of field, changes dramatically from looking at a very close object then switching to a distant object. May as well look at a dashboard image of the road ahead....

Reactions: Rob44
Rob44, I think from the look of your writings, you already know about the HUD's tech that I have written about here. I really do think that driving in todays world is much safer with this level of technology. I've added some stuff in case others are not aware of what is available now.

About windscreen heads-up display and how it makes driving in todays traffic safer.

Traditionally, HUD's (been around for donkeys) were standalone systems relying on data from the vehicle's onboard sensors and computers. However modern HUD's can be linked to the internet offering real time updates and dynamic content that improves safety. Info like live traffic updates or weather updates.

The obvious safety benefits are that drivers do not have to shift their gaze from the road. HUD's can also be customised for individual preferences so you only get what you want. (hopefully not Call of Duty :cool:)

The technology bit I would like for urban driving is that Augmented Reality (AR) aspect where AR based HUD's can highlight actual road signs like speed limit signs and potential hazards in ones line of vision. (Rain might be an issue but)

Whilst I never fiddle with a display screen located to the left when driving, I can understand that some would. HUD's eliminate that gaze averting aspect of poor driving safety.

There's a few Aussie companies doing this tech thing like OBD2 Australia offering a HUD that allows drivers to see all their cars gauges easily on the cars windscreen for safer driving. Or Element14 Australia who supply car manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers with HUD's.

There are heaps of cars driving on our roads right now that have HUD's on board.
HUD systems have been used in jet fighter aircraft for some time. The only instrument that one needs in a car is the speedometer ; petrol gauge helps but if one knows one's car 's performance it is not essential.An oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge are very useful, but one doesn't need to spend much time looking at those. Any other instruments are superfluous to requirements, as is a screen showing maps etc if one can read a paper map and can memorise way points such as place names. Reversing camera and dashboard screen? Use your rear vision mirrors and buy a car with a good large rear window. One also has a neck, which can be rotated somewhat to enable one's eye's to look over one's shoulder

".....can highlight actual road signs like speed limit signs"
Mine does that and shows stop signs. Also shows the directions from the sat nav.

Maybe not taking their eyes "off the road" but the focus, or more specifically, depth of field, changes dramatically from looking at a very close object then switching to a distant object. May as well look at a dashboard image of the road ahead....
Possibly may be the case with some senior eyes, or it may be your perception of a difficulty. I haven't had the pleasure of looking at one shown on a HUD to test. Probably have to ask freedy50 to get to the fact of the matter. Appears as though he drives a car with HUD.

My car displays speed limits that change with each new sign, but only on the screen slightly to the left. The depth of field change has never been an issue for me. Where I choose to drive always plenty of safe opportunities to flick the eyes left, but would think it advantageous to have it in front of me.

I have found that the other great part of tech is being verbally told that a school crossing is coming up or a speed camera in say 600 metres. Sure one can/should use their eyes, but the tech really enhances the safety of the whole drive especially when travelling in new areas.

The tech on some vehicles have had honest criticism in that weather conditions can sometimes fritz the result of the lane guidance tech. Steering wheel button press silences the beep.

The dashboard image of the road ahead is what's around the corner for some. It's called Augmented Reality HUD, but that may well be a bridge too far to discuss here.

HUD systems have been used in jet fighter aircraft for some time. The only instrument that one needs in a car is the speedometer ; petrol gauge helps but if one knows one's car 's performance it is not essential.An oil pressure gauge and a temperature gauge are very useful, but one doesn't need to spend much time looking at those. Any other instruments are superfluous to requirements, as is a screen showing maps etc if one can read a paper map and can memorise way points such as place names. Reversing camera and dashboard screen? Use your rear vision mirrors and buy a car with a good large rear window. One also has a neck, which can be rotated somewhat to enable one's eye's to look over one's shoulder
I've always said there's nothing like stating the bleeding obvious. You've done that very well Rob44. Planes for sure had it for ages. First HUD in a car was about 30 years ago in the 90's, so nothing too new

But, I think the case for tech, is in it's ongoing ability to enhance safety in driving. Just one instance that comes to mind is techs recognition of something low behind or to the side of a reversing vehicle. There have been quite a few severely traumatised people who, having done all that you've said, created an instant family tragedy by reversing over a fast moving infant crawling in a driveway. No matter what era they've sprung from I'd be astonished if they didn't give the thumbs up to that piece of tech.

Reactions: LynS
This will be great for those who want it. I don't. The question has to be - is it going to be optional for those of us who don't want it? By the way, I live in WA and there has been no mention of it here - yet.